Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.75 Average
[Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
02-24-2021, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2021 03:01 PM by DAOWAce.)
RE: [Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
Posted in the Type-0 thread, but since this is specifically for the 60FPS patches, I'll repost a bit here:

With the 60FPS mod, I've run into cases where the AI completely breaks and stops moving, or even worse, becomes unhittable (can still target and attack, but nothing registers). You're effectively softlocked unless you have a teleport stone to leave the battle. iframes also seem to be reduced or attack hitboxes are faster or something (like FF7: Crisis Core). 60FPS is great, but, these bugs are a real problem that really degrade gameplay... though it's still better to suffer them than 30FPS in my eyes. Really a case of "pick your poison".

To try and compile a list of things I've noticed:
  • UI runs at double speed. This includes mission text (events) progressing twice as fast.
  • Camera moves twice as quickly (barely controllable when moving and turning camera).
  • 2D animations (like side NPC's mouths) move at double speed.
  • Animations randomly speed up (doesn't affect gameplay).
  • NPCs randomly move at double speed (notably in cutscenes).
  • Using the teleporter (Great Sigil) results in you running extremely slowly into it.
  • Ace (and potentially other cadets) animation glitch when interacting with certain objects (like the bar in the lounge).
  • iframes are halved.
  • AI randomly breaks entirely.
  • Hit/hurtboxes randomly break preventing you from defeating an enemy.

There might also be an issue with projectiles not firing, but I've gotta test that one more. Enemies may also have their animations halved, which lets them perform basically infinite evasion or give you no time to evade (much harder to test at 30FPS due to how visually stuttery everything is with massive input delay).

If I had any clue whatsoever in how to create these patches, I'd try my hand at fixing them, but alas I just got into PSP emulation ..and know absolutely nothing about debugging regardless.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS - DAOWAce - 02-24-2021 01:19 PM
Crash Of The Titans CW ULUS10304 - Mateus - 12-13-2021, 10:59 PM
IRON MEN ULUS10347 - Mateus - 12-18-2021, 12:18 AM