Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.6 Average
A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards
07-09-2013, 05:09 PM
RE: A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards
(07-08-2013 09:09 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Danyal, if you're using git bash (the cmdline version of git) its as simple as:-

(enter the commands without the " symbols)

0. Setting the directory of your choice, for example if you want it to be in C:\Programming

"cd /c/programming/"

1. Cloning it

git clone http://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp.git ppsspp

2. Grabbing the submodules

git submodule update --init

2a. Update source again just to be sure

git pull -v --progress "origin"

3. Open the solution (.sln) file (located in the windows directory of the ppsspp folder you've cloned it into) using VC++ 2010.

Then build it. It should work. It does for me using the above method.

Thanks for the help! That's actually worked! If moderators are reading the post then I must say that this thread should be sticked so that it will be helpful for many people who are struggling while making a build through Visual C++ 2010. Here +1 rep for you! Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: A comprehensive list of games that are only problematic on AMD/ATI graphics cards
A better idea: If solarmystic's post about building can be split from the rest of the topic, create a new thread with it, and sticky that, since it might be a bit confusing to see AMD/ATI stuff in a compiling thread.. Tongue

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
07-09-2013, 05:26 PM
(07-09-2013 05:12 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  A better idea: If solarmystic's post about building can be split from the rest of the topic, create a new thread with it, and sticky that, since it might be a bit confusing to see AMD/ATI stuff in a compiling thread.. Tongue
Thanks for chime in! Yeah, can you split the post from the thread? Of course, after getting permission from solarmystic Tongue
07-09-2013, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013 08:54 PM by solarmystic.)
(07-09-2013 05:12 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  A better idea: If solarmystic's post about building can be split from the rest of the topic, create a new thread with it, and sticky that, since it might be a bit confusing to see AMD/ATI stuff in a compiling thread.. Tongue

That's quite a good idea actually, a new thread should be opened in the developer's or general section of the forum, possibly entitled:-

"Building/Compiling PPSSPP on Windows for Dummies"

You can do it do if you want @daxtsu

@Danyal Zia

You're welcome mate, glad it helped you out. daxtsu here actually deserves part of the rep since he was the one who taught me how do to do it the first place, quite recently.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
07-10-2013, 02:52 AM
(06-28-2013 05:43 AM)Ritori Wrote:  Look liked i use 6xxx series (i dont know this right or not)
my gpu pretty weak lol (that i think)
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/06/28/edc.png

PS: Okay then sorry for trouble Tongue

In looking at this, your card is almost 4 years newer than mine, but it's also only roughly 10-20% as strong as mine. Wow. That's really interesting to me.
07-10-2013, 05:04 AM
(06-28-2013 03:34 AM)solarmystic Wrote:  Generic non-vendor specific advice to getting the best performance on PPSSPP for your lower end device/machine:-

I figured I'd just add this bit at the end to round off this post since it's bound to be asked a lot in the forums and it'd be convenient to have it in this thread anyway.

If you're really desperate for some extra speed (remember, Speed and FPS are 2 different metrics for measurement in PPSSPP), you can do the following:-

1. Turn on Frameskipping and set it 1 or 3 (Odd numbers (1,3,5) work best, Even numbers (2,4,6) cause flickering in games)

2. Turn off Buffered Rendering (May break games that need it. A lot of games don't require it to work. Minor speed boost)

3. Make sure 2xSSAA (speed killer) and any form of Texture Scaling (speed killer and causes hitches on lower end machines when on) is off. Anisotropic Texture filtering, however, is fine and nearly free on any modern PC.

4. Play at only 1x or 2x rendering resolution

5. Use the "Unlock CPU Clock" option in the System Settings menu, and set it to something lower (default:-222MHz), like 111MHz or even 60-80 MHz. People with lower end Android devices have reported some success in gaining more speed with that function. Warning: Lowering the CPU Clock too much will cause unpredictable behaviour within games like SPS and jerkiness. Experiment at your own risk. Also, there is a trade off between increased Speed, as you reduce the frequency, but lower internal FPS. Find a balance you can be comfortable with.

6. Turn off all other background applications while playing games on PPSSPP. (Add exceptions to your virus/malware scanners for this program if you have to)

7. Update your drivers. (this may not always be a good idea since newer AMD drivers have conflicts with the program as reported in the forum)

8. Ensure that Hardware Transform (massive speed boost) and Vertex Cache are ON. (They should be on by default, there are exceptions to this tip, see the Tekken 6 example I mentioned above.)

9. Also ensure that the emulator is running in JIT (Dynarec) mode. (which it should be, by default)

10. Turn on FastMem. (not always recommended since it is quite unstable and can cause crashes.)

11. Turn off Atrac3+ audio (you will not be able to hear most games' BGM or voices, only turn it off if you're desperate for more Speed)

12. Turn off Vsync. (Will cause tearing in the image, but gives a performance boost)

I've just read your addition to the thread. Fyi, I've installed Windows XP on my old rig with X800 before that It had Windows 7 under drivers of Windows Vista. Amazing thing is that enabling hardware transform is now giving a HUGE boost in performace (80-100% speed boost) though enabling Vertex Cache still doesn't give speed boost while enabling both of them at the same time decreases a lot of frames. I'm easily getting 60 Speed without frameskipping with hardware transform on GTA Vice City Stories which is a bit heavy for 7 year old card I think, But recently builds have strange full screen bug. When I toggle full screen during game it drops the Speed from 60 to 10 which is virtually unplayable. But, when I toggle full screen before opening game then the speed remains same. That was happening in Windows 7 as well so it's not a driver problem I think. The problem with ATI/AMD drivers is that they don't unleash full potentail of a GPU. They have to lose something or feature while gaining other thing.
07-10-2013, 05:07 AM
(07-10-2013 05:04 AM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  I've just read your addition to the thread. Fyi, I've installed Windows XP on my old rig with X800 before that It had Windows 7 under drivers of Windows Vista. Amazing thing is that enabling hardware transform is now giving a HUGE boost in performace (80-100% speed boost) though enabling Vertex Cache still doesn't give speed boost while enabling both of them at the same time decreases a lot of frames. I'm easily getting 60 Speed without frameskipping with hardware transform on GTA Vice City Stories which is a bit heavy for 7 year old card I think, But recently builds have strange full screen bug. When I toggle full screen during game it drops the Speed from 60 to 10 which is virtually unplayable. But, when I toggle full screen before opening game then the speed remains same. That was happening in Windows 7 as well so it's not a driver problem I think. The problem with ATI/AMD drivers is that they don't unleash full potentail of a GPU. They have to lose something or feature while gaining other thing.

Oh lord, why didn't you mention you were on Windows 7 with that X800 card lol.

I would've told you to go straight back to Windows XP, since AMD's OGL drivers got even worse in Windows 7 for older cards.

AMD/ATI's Win XP OGL drivers are much, much more mature and faster than their current 7 implementation which is much more slower and bloated in comparison.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
07-10-2013, 07:17 AM
(07-09-2013 08:53 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  

That's quite a good idea actually, a new thread should be opened in the developer's or general section of the forum, possibly entitled:-

"Building/Compiling PPSSPP on Windows for Dummies"

You can do it do if you want @daxtsu

@Danyal Zia

You're welcome mate, glad it helped you out. daxtsu here actually deserves part of the rep since he was the one who taught me how do to do it the first place, quite recently.

Is there link for that tutorial Big Grin (if don't has yet can you make simple. i cant understand most of it what is cmdline? (is this provide in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010?? ) ot it same as cmd.exe?

Sorry if i ask alot Undecided

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
07-10-2013, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 02:24 PM by Danyal Zia.)
(07-10-2013 05:07 AM)solarmystic Wrote:  Oh lord, why didn't you mention you were on Windows 7 with that X800 card lol.

I would've told you to go straight back to Windows XP, since AMD's OGL drivers got even worse in Windows 7 for older cards.

AMD/ATI's Win XP OGL drivers are much, much more mature and faster than their current 7 implementation which is much more slower and bloated in comparison.
Windows 7 runs fine on X800 with no affect on performance of Directx9 applications, But yes, OGL drivers sucks in Windows 7 for older cards lol. I'm currently using Catalyst 10.2 for Windows XP. Do you think rolling back to the drivers of 2005 (when the card manufactured) might help? Also, does replacing atioglxx.dll from the newer drivers for newer chips with atioglxx.dll of older drivers for older chips works? I remember you mentioned that Catalyst 11.1 is best for performance.

(07-10-2013 07:17 AM)Ritori Wrote:  Is there link for that tutorial Big Grin (if don't has yet can you make simple. i cant understand most of it what is cmdline? (is this provide in Microsoft Visual C++ 2010?? ) ot it same as cmd.exe?

Sorry if i ask alot Undecided
First download the latest stable release from the following:
http://git-scm.com/downloads

After installing it, you'll find Git Bash in your folder where you have installed it or you'll find it from programs of your start menu as well.

Run Git Bash and follow the instructions of solarmystic. Hope it will help. Let me know if you still having trouble with it!
07-10-2013, 02:30 PM
(07-10-2013 02:05 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Windows 7 runs fine on X800 with no affect on performance of Directx9 applications, But yes, OGL drivers sucks in Windows 7 for older cards lol. I'm currently using Catalyst 10.2 for Windows XP. Do you think rolling back to the drivers of 2005 (when the card manufactured) might help?

Nah, stick with 10.2 for Windows XP, I use them also for my older Pentium 4 rig that also has a X800XL card that's still alive lol.

(07-10-2013 02:05 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Also, does replacing atioglxx.dll from the newer drivers for newer chips with atioglxx.dll of older drivers for older chips works? I remember you mentioned that Catalyst 11.1 is best for performance.

The 11.11a OGL driver will only work for the HD (HD 2900 and above) cards, Danyal. Support for the X series is not included in that driver. Unfortunately. Using the atioglxx.dll replacement method will only crash ppsspp since there is no support in this instance.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
07-10-2013, 05:24 PM
(07-10-2013 02:30 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Nah, stick with 10.2 for Windows XP, I use them also for my older Pentium 4 rig that also has a X800XL card that's still alive lol.
Have you tried running PPSSPP on your Pentium 4 with X800XL? Do enabling vertex cache gives you speed boost with it? I also have similar older rig like yours with Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, But I have X800 with it (note the absence of "XL")

I even have way too ancient Pentium M (2.0 ghz) based laptop with Mobility X300 lol! I once tried running Castlevania Dracula X on it and it was running at full speed Tongue PPSSPP is seriously the best engineering of C++ I've ever seen! That's the reason I'm interested in development of it Wink
07-10-2013, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013 06:07 PM by solarmystic.)
(07-10-2013 05:24 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Have you tried running PPSSPP on your Pentium 4 with X800XL? Do enabling vertex cache gives you speed boost with it? I also have similar older rig like yours with Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, But I have X800 with it (note the absence of "XL")

Once. To benchmark it using the cube.iso test. It actually did better than my current (but still very old) Core 2 Duo laptop with a 4670 HD.

Which blew my mind.

Here're the links to the benchmark on the forums. Afaik, it was a thread made by daxtsu that's submerged.

The procedure (follow it precisely):-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...4#pid26564

My P4 result:-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...2#pid26872

My Core 2 result (the same rig in my signature):-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...1#pid26571

The P4 with the X800XL actually scores higher than the Core 2 with the 4670 HD lol. Which is insane.

(4670 is usually 300-400% faster than the X800XL in various benchmarks, the Core 2 is supposed to be 4-5x faster than the P4.

The only other difference between them is the OS, XP vs Windows 7, and like I've mentioned before, AMD's Windows 7 OGL drivers are really bad when compared to the XP OGL drivers.)

(07-10-2013 05:24 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  I even have way too ancient Pentium M (2.0 ghz) based laptop with Mobility X300 lol! I once tried running Castlevania Dracula X on it and it was running at full speed Tongue PPSSPP is seriously the best engineering of C++ I've ever seen! That's the reason I'm interested in development of it Wink

The Pentium M is actually pretty powerful for its time. A Pentium M at 2.0 GHz is actually performing the same amount of work as a P4 @ 2.5 (roughly) GHz. It has a higher IPC and is actually the basis of the Intel Core microarchitecture that would be used in the Core 2 later on.

The M X300 on the other hand, is very weak, but should still be enough for 2D games lol.

Windows 7 x64 SP1

8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
07-10-2013, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 05:24 AM by Danyal Zia.)
(07-10-2013 06:06 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Once. To benchmark it using the cube.iso test. It actually did better than my current (but still very old) Core 2 Duo laptop with a 4670 HD.

Which blew my mind.

Here're the links to the benchmark on the forums. Afaik, it was a thread made by daxtsu that's submerged.

The procedure (follow it precisely):-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...4#pid26564

My P4 result:-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...2#pid26872

My Core 2 result (the same rig in my signature):-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...1#pid26571

The P4 with the X800XL actually scores higher than the Core 2 with the 4670 HD lol. Which is insane.

(4670 is usually 300-400% faster than the X800XL in various benchmarks, the Core 2 is supposed to be 4-5x faster than the P4.

The only other difference between them is the OS, XP vs Windows 7, and like I've mentioned before, AMD's Windows 7 OGL drivers are really bad when compared to the XP OGL drivers.)
I think I've seen these threads before and replied there as well Tongue

(07-10-2013 06:06 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  The Pentium M is actually pretty powerful for its time. A Pentium M at 2.0 GHz is actually performing the same amount of work as a P4 @ 2.5 (roughly) GHz. It has a higher IPC and is actually the basis of the Intel Core microarchitecture that would be used in the Core 2 later on.

The M X300 on the other hand, is very weak, but should still be enough for 2D games lol.
As far as I know, I've read somewhere that Pentium M @ 1.86 ghz performs like P4 @ 2.8 ghz. So Pentium M @ 2.0 ghz should perform like P4 @ 3.0 ghz. Also I have Dothan Pentium M which has 2 MB L2 cache as compared to 512 MB L2 cache of P4 or 1 MB L2 cache of P4 @ 3.0 ghz. So, it make sense that clock speed isn't the precise measurement of a performance.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth)

M X300 was powerful for a laptop of it's time. Of course, X800 beats it easily since it has 256 bit Bus Width and other excellent core features of it's time.
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 02:16 PM by Ritori.)
Btw thank for this Danyal +1 rep

but I got some problem
when i put this command

it just give me fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Edit:Never mind I got this. Tongue now I need to find Visual Studio 2010+ for build it.

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
07-11-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 06:13 PM by Danyal Zia.)
(07-11-2013 02:02 PM)Ritori Wrote:  Btw thank for this Danyal +1 rep

but I got some problem
when i put this command

it just give me fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Edit:Never mind I got this. Tongue now I need to find Visual Studio 2010+ for build it.
I think you have to do:

cd /c/programming/ (or any other place where you have cloned)

before doing:

I was also having problem with that step, But I somehow managed to done it. I'm sure solarmystic will correct me If I'm explaining it wrong.

Thanks for the rep! Big Grin

(07-11-2013 02:02 PM)Ritori Wrote:  Edit:Never mind I got this. Tongue now I need to find Visual Studio 2010+ for build it.

How were you able to do it? I'm having trouble to do it again Tongue