Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Castlevania X Chronicles - ULES00841
08-19-2020, 10:50 AM
RE: Castlevania X Chronicles - ULES00841
(06-11-2016 11:53 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  made some patches for the older games included in it to play it in fullscreen or original res ~ 256x208
Btw, there are two errors in your resolution patch. The native res for SotN is 256x207, not 256x208. The patch is creating uneven pixels. The second issue is you're scaling
320x240 videos to 256x208 which just distorts them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-19-2020, 12:13 PM
Don't remember how I got the value for the original res, probably just searched through the net or checked in the GE debugger, odd value you posted for the original res doesn't feel right through as the original res had to be a multiply of 8 which 207 isn't how did you get that number? Also I don't see any "uneven pixels" myself, note that those can be result of simply stretching the low res image to fit the screen without integer scaling(manual scaling in display layout editor can set integer scaling).

As for the latter, if I recall the only video patch affects is Konami logo/intro when launching the SOTN simply because they don't have any other videos. It doesn't really matter so I don't even remember if I patched it because it was easier or because I wanted the whole game to match same size screen for much better results with post process effects and stuff.

Brandish fix is for the original Rondo of Blood which had a bug where you brandish your whip it would crash or allow incorrect animations if fast memory was disabled prior to trying. It's possible the bug was fixed by some random change through as I didn't tested it from a very long time. This year is pretty crazy and I really couldn't spend much time with PPSSPP.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-19-2020, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2020 02:29 PM by Arthandas.)
(08-19-2020 12:13 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Don't remember how I got the value for the original res, probably just searched through the net or checked in the GE debugger, odd value you posted for the original res doesn't feel right through as the original res had to be a multiply of 8 which 207 isn't how did you get that number? Also I don't see any "uneven pixels" myself, note that those can be result of simply stretching the low res image to fit the screen without integer scaling(manual scaling in display layout editor can set integer scaling).
I am using integer scaling, 4x to be precise. I noticed some scaling artifacts in areas with vertical scrolling so I took a screenshot and inspected every row of pixels. In a 1024x832 image there are 4 rows of uneven pixels meaning there's a single double pixel row in a 256x208 window. With "normal" display mode the game renders in 320x207 (which is actually stretched 256x207), and the res isn't really that weird because the actual window is slightly larger and I'm sure it's a multiply of 8. You can see it yourself by playing the game with any border, there'll be black space between the border and actual game window.

Maybe the original psx version renders in 256x208 but the psp version is definitely 256x207 in terms of actual display area. If you want you can send me any in-game screenshot and I'll highlight you the uneven pixels ):
(08-19-2020 12:13 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  As for the latter, if I recall the only video patch affects is Konami logo/intro when launching the SOTN simply because they don't have any other videos.
There are actually 4 videos: logo, intro, inverted castle and castle destruction.
08-19-2020, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2020 04:20 PM by Arthandas.)
(08-19-2020 12:13 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Brandish fix is for the original Rondo of Blood
But the cheat's name is "SotN Richter brandish whip fix". Are you sure it's for the original Rondo?