Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
changing game fonts for android
06-14-2013, 02:33 PM
changing game fonts for android
I did a few searches to see if anyone had posted a guide on how to replace the default font on the emulator with another one, and it didn't really answer much of my questions. specifically for android. once I have obtained the font i'd like to use, how would I go about replacing it? games like Lunar and a few others are unplayable because of how large the font is. hell, if I could even reduce the size of the font that would be nice too. I don't have access to a computer, and no longer own a PSP so I was hoping there's a way to do this straight from my device.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2013, 04:50 PM
RE: changing game fonts for android
I don't use the Android build, but if it's structured like the Windows builds I use you need to go into flash0/font and replace the fonts there.

The main complication is that the PSP uses a proprietary bitmap format, .pgf, so you need to find fonts already in .pgf format (look for Birdman's font pack for a wide variety) or make your own from .ttf font files with some command-line tools I haven't yet taught myself to use.

The Lunar-specific complication is that the PSP's New Rodin font has an incredibly large x-height - the lowercase letters are very tall and the capitals very short - and trying to match the absolute height of the lowercase with a font with a much smaller x-height (like Liberation Sans) results in the font being scaled too big. A while back I did a bit of casual looking for something similar to use as a replacement font, and discovered that the issue isn't finding a Eurostile-like font that would look the same, it's finding a font with the same ridiculous x-height. The best I found was DejaVu Sans, and its x-height was halfway between Liberation Sans's and New Rodin's.

So...good luck? I'd love to know if you find a font with a big enough x-height to fix Lunar, and so would Henrik (if its license would allow its use in PPSSPP).

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64
06-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Will add support for this soon. You will be able to place your dumped flash0 directory from your real PSP as /PSP/flash0 on your SD card / USB storage.
10-17-2014, 06:09 PM
Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but at least I tried searching. Big Grin

Just got a Samsung phone and am having trouble finding the "flash0" directory so I can replace the default fonts. Can someone help? My PPSSPP directory doesn't have this folder in here and I can't find it anywhere else. Do I need a browser (besides the default Windows one) so I can browse root directories? I found the "flash0" folder before on my iPhone so I'm familiar with the overall process, but am brand new to Android.

Thank you.
10-18-2014, 08:32 AM
You can just create a flash0 folder under SdCard\PSP, it wasn't there in the first place.

Creating a new folder procedure varies depending on your file Explorer, Try this:
->go to sdcard/psp
->hit menu button
->find something like "new" or "create", then select "directory or folder"
->enter its name (flash0)

| Testing Rig: Windows10 PC |
->Proc: Intel Core i3 4130
->GPU: Nvidia GTX660 GDDR5 1GB
->RAM: 8GB DDR3