Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
PhoenixStudio - the story so far
06-24-2012, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012 09:23 AM by Henrik.)
PhoenixStudio - the story so far
[Image: phoenixstudio.jpg]

Here's the home page, but here's a bit more about the background:

Back in high school, I was playing around a lot with Propellerheads Rebirth. On my 18th birthday or something like that, I got a Casio Cassiopeia PocketPC as a gift. It had a 133MHz MIPS processor and I figured it would be possible to do some audio synthesis on it. So off I went googling around for lowpass filter code, and winged the rest from the top of my head, translated the math code to fixed point when I discovered that the MIPS didn't have an FPU. I also discovered that the MFC / Win32 UI frameworks were nowhere near good enough so I coded my own, and eventually ended up with a passable Rebirth clone with a butt-ugly but very functional UI. Yes!

Looked around for ways to get it distributed and uploaded it to PocketGear, priced at $29.99, which today is a completely insane price for a mobile application but felt very reasonable at the time as ReBirth cost five times that...

Ended up selling about five hundred copies of the thing over the next few years, which was very nice beer money for the university student that I was back then Smile

PhoenixStudio is returning soon (for much cheaper!) for the Galaxy Note and other stylus based devices, plus of course large touch tablets. It will be possible to run it on small touchscreen devices too, but usable? Not really Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 04:20 AM
RE: PhoenixStudio - the story so far
I guess no one else cares about this? Haha, well I care since it's made by a great developer! Looking forward to it!
01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
I too am interested to see what Henrik made. In fact, if it does what I think it does, I would purchase it in a heartbeat.
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
looks cool
unfortunately i can only download free software due to the weird rules of Chinese Google Play Sad
04-02-2013, 06:42 AM
This thing isn't up on Google Play yet, I've been too distracted by PPSSPP Smile
04-07-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 02:25 PM by Dwightyone.)
I bought something like this (Um....I think it's something like this) pre-owned for my PSX. It was called Music 2000 or in the US MTV Music Generator. I never really got to grips with it as my head was eleswhere half of the time, but by all accounts it was quite good actually. So good, that last year I gave the same copy to my son, and within a day he was knocking out groovy tunes on his PSP with it within hours.

When he leaves school he wants to go to college to study digital music and I can see him being drawn to something like this for home use. Even more so if it was not over complicated to use. But he hasn't got a Galaxy Note nor a stylus based tablet, so he'll have to get a job because I'm not buying them. The guy has already bankrupted me ten times over in his short lifetime.
04-14-2013, 05:52 PM
''other stylus based devices'' which means 3DS Big Grin ?
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
So wait, you sold 500 copies at $30? That's $15,000/£10,000/€11,700. If you spent that all on beer then you must never have been sober at university
07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
(07-07-2013 02:42 PM)joekenton Wrote:  So wait, you sold 500 copies at $30? That's $15,000/£10,000/€11,700. If you spent that all on beer then you must never have been sober at university

Beer money is just a term used to mean spare cash. He probably used it for groceries, nights out with friends, etc. He basically just means he sold the program instead of doing a part time job. Although I have no doubts Henrik could have done college while drunk.
07-21-2013, 03:46 PM
If its a good quality app , i would gladly get it Smile
I am a music maker Smile
check out my music on youtube.com/zawette
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-27-2013, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 04:11 PM by Littlewoodg.)
Hey henrikrydgard!
Thank you so much for PhoenixStudio!
I use Phoenix on pocket pc, incredible sound, functionality, elegance!
I also make mobile music on iPad and iPad, and your Phoenix on an 8 year old Axim blows away 99.99% of mobile music software available on iOS...(better than the Rebirth port!)
Please port to iOS! I use a stylus for music making on iPad/iPhone, so Phoenix would feel right at home.
09-16-2013, 02:48 PM
nice..
looks like another great creation from henrik.
if this thing does what it states.then i'll support it without second thoughts!

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
11-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Henrik,

I don’t know if you like the idea, but, why not making a real mobile recording studio. I mean, an app that I can plug microphones on android device and record real guitars, bass, voice, drums and also midi?

You would have to change too much the software?

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
12-15-2013, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2013 06:46 PM by reimondx.)
Hi all,

Will there be a port of PhoenixStudio for Windows PC?

I am a user of Propellerheads Rebirth and made an album with it a few years ago.

http://www.last.fm/music/DJ+ReimondX/Loops+of+Fury

Also made an album this year.

http://www.last.fm/music/DJ+ReimondX/Tech+Life

Would be interested in purchasing a Windows version of PhoenixStudio if there is demand for it to create future albums.
12-19-2013, 09:18 AM
This sounds like a great concept. I'm about to start an "electronic" project with a friend of mine (Where I'll be playing guitar, and he'll be playing the laptop) so it'd be fun to have a sequencer in my hand once I'm done recording my guitar/bass loops live, and add in to the bleeps and bloops. Again, though, don't know if I'll have a stylus phone/tablet; think it might work on the S3, or the iPad Mini (if it gets a version...)?