Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
RE: Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
Most likely partly both. I mean, the basic problem is that the emulator is trying to well, emulate, things the PSP can do.

Swirling is a great example. To put it in layman's terms, let's compare it to soup. The PSP is like making soup yourself. If you taste it and it needs more seasoning, you can just add more. Easy. Maybe it won't be the best soup in the world (at least if I'm making it), but it'll be okay.

Desktops are like going to a restaurant. If you don't like it, you have to explain to the waiter/waitress what you'd like changed, and they'll take it and soon come back to you. If you still don't like it, you'll eventually have to decide if you want to eat it or if you want to spend all night trying to get it the way you like. But most likely, the soup will be pretty good.

In this case, the game "sent the order back." On the PSP, this is fast - because it's right there in the kitchen, it can make those changes (swirling) very easily and very quickly. But on a desktop or an ARM, it has to go through the waiter (OpenGL or Direct3D.)

It's possible that a faster GPU could make the problem essentially go away. Even if the waiter makes things slower, if he has rollerblades on, it might get resolved quick and easy anyway.

Not sure if my analogy will make sense. But in any case, it might be possible to make the emulator handle this more efficiently, but it will always be more demanding (on OpenGL/Direct3D/etc.) than it was on the PSP. There are other games in this situation too. For example, Poplocrois doesn't run well on Android even though it's a 2D game, just because of the way it handles its textures. It's not the exact same problem as this, but it's a very similar one.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X - [Unknown] - 11-18-2014 08:27 AM