Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
04-10-2014, 03:30 AM
RE: Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon X
Also, the OP appears briefly when switching games via the title screen and the game lags when the rain effect is being used at the beginning of the game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2014, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 01:17 AM by Zero3K.)
Another issue I've been noticing is that the OP for Tales of Phantasia: Cross Edition is very slow and causes the fps/menu's font to look weird after a few seconds of it playing.
05-01-2014, 01:17 AM
Any news regarding the fixing of one or more of my issues with it?
05-01-2014, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 02:18 AM by vsub_.)
The opening on both games is running at normal speed but there are couple of problems:

1.When I start the game,the fps counter on the video will either show 15(usually if I restart the game(Emulation=>Restart))or 30 but the video is working file.If you do any kind of change to the window(resize,maximize,minimize)the counter will start showing 60fps but the video will run at the same speed as before.

2.If you stop the emulation(Emulation=>Stop)while the video is running,ppsspp always crash.It will also always crash if auto from frame skipping is disabled and some skipping mode other that off is selected...there is definitely something wrong with the frame skipping feature because this is not the first time I encounter a crash on some game when ppsspp is skipping frames

3.The game(Narikiri Dungeon X...don't know yet about the other game)don't like frame skipping...it will randomly crash if it's enabled.

4.In the Cross Edition if Auto from frame skipping is enabled,it will stay on single frame.It will also happen if you disable Auto and set the frame skipping to odd number(1,3,5,7)...works fine with 2 if you need frame skipping(haven't tried yet to lower the cpu speed)

0.9.8-561 x86

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
06-03-2014, 06:30 AM
How is that graphical effect now with buffered rendering + simulate block transfer?

-[Unknown]
07-27-2014, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 06:10 PM by Zero3K.)
I have tested the game with the latest version. The issue of the transition to a battle in ToP Cross Edition being very slow has been fixed (it doen't look smooth though). Also, the FPS display and menu aren't messed up when the OP of it is being played (its still played slowly until going into and out of the menu).
11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Game's working fine for me except on Overbrave, I get some massive slowdown(-50%) if Buffered Rendering is on during OB but the graphics are perfect and with Non-Buffered Rendering the speed is fine but I get some weird shadows of the previous screen flickering on the screen.

It's also happens with Skits and other screen transitions if Non-Buffered Rendering is set, like if I load my game and change screens then a Skit triggers, when I get to see the Skit the background of the skit is set of the previous screen.

My PC kinda sucks(its an old netbook), so it's probably because of this.
11-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Well, disabling the PSP game's ability to use graphics buffers will definitely cause glitches, so probably the thing to focus on trying to solve is the poor performance during overbrave... unfortunately, I think it's doing something there that's easy and fast on a PSP (with direct bare-metal graphics access), but hard on a desktop...

-[Unknown]
11-17-2014, 09:57 PM
Is this a emulator end issue(OB slowdown), hardware or both? I mean, I can play other games with more gr4ph1c5 pretty fine with little to no issues. Then again, the other games I tried doens't have a flaming black hole swirling on the background of battles.
11-18-2014, 08:27 AM
Most likely partly both. I mean, the basic problem is that the emulator is trying to well, emulate, things the PSP can do.

Swirling is a great example. To put it in layman's terms, let's compare it to soup. The PSP is like making soup yourself. If you taste it and it needs more seasoning, you can just add more. Easy. Maybe it won't be the best soup in the world (at least if I'm making it), but it'll be okay.

Desktops are like going to a restaurant. If you don't like it, you have to explain to the waiter/waitress what you'd like changed, and they'll take it and soon come back to you. If you still don't like it, you'll eventually have to decide if you want to eat it or if you want to spend all night trying to get it the way you like. But most likely, the soup will be pretty good.

In this case, the game "sent the order back." On the PSP, this is fast - because it's right there in the kitchen, it can make those changes (swirling) very easily and very quickly. But on a desktop or an ARM, it has to go through the waiter (OpenGL or Direct3D.)

It's possible that a faster GPU could make the problem essentially go away. Even if the waiter makes things slower, if he has rollerblades on, it might get resolved quick and easy anyway.

Not sure if my analogy will make sense. But in any case, it might be possible to make the emulator handle this more efficiently, but it will always be more demanding (on OpenGL/Direct3D/etc.) than it was on the PSP. There are other games in this situation too. For example, Poplocrois doesn't run well on Android even though it's a 2D game, just because of the way it handles its textures. It's not the exact same problem as this, but it's a very similar one.

-[Unknown]
11-25-2014, 10:20 AM
I understand, too bad my shitty PC can't handle this. Well, planning to get another when I find another job anyways.