Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Henrik ,, Optimization for Android ??
06-11-2013, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 04:04 AM by Merivex.)
RE: Henrik ,, Optimization for Android ??
(06-11-2013 03:39 AM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  So I was skeptical about messing with the cpu clock. But I had previously purchased setcpu ( same thing as no frills) But on my galaxy s4 snapdragon. I set it to lock at my highest frequency 1890mhz and it definatly smoother in the games I tried(wipeout pules/initial d)

I also have a widget of my true cpu temp. Right after unlocking irs about 88f after some heavy gaming its 130-140f getting into the redline but that takes a while. With the locked frequency in setcpu it got to 156f after 10mins! That is near the very top of the redline

Alyhough performance is definatly more constant smoothness I uninstalled it. A but too hot for me

no need to use 1890mhz if u're using PERFORMANCE , Just Set up ur CPU to 1.2Ghz - 1.4Ghz + fram skip(+1) and set Gorverner to PERFORMANCE rather than 1.8Ghz ONDEMAND .. Big Grin

Smartphone : Samsung Galaxy S4
Console : Playstion Vita
PSN ID : Merivex95<<<[Add me!]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Ah yes you are correct. Perfermance seems to lock it as well. I did some more testing and played some heavy games for like 25mins and it got to 145f which is just fine.

Its definatly better why is that? Does the stock setting drop the frequency even if its running something like ppsspp

Xperia Play 2.3.3
06-11-2013, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 05:30 AM by [Unknown].)
Maybe we're not using enough CPU power, so the GPU is also underpowered, as xsacha suggested? In other words, we've optimized it too well and now it's penalizing us?

That kinda sounds both too good to be true and horribly ironic at the same time.

The trouble is, I don't have any working profiler for Android to actually see what's up...

-[Unknown]
06-11-2013, 05:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 06:02 AM by Merivex.)
(06-11-2013 05:13 AM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  Ah yes you are correct. Perfermance seems to lock it as well. I did some more testing and played some heavy games for like 25mins and it got to 145f which is just fine.

Its definatly better why is that? Does the stock setting drop the frequency even if its running something like ppsspp

I Think the answer is YES .. It drop the frequency and u can see it on the cpu usage . Stock Setting is always sucks Tongue Tongue .. Thatz Why we need to root our device and make our own setting ^_^ Big Grin

Samsung S4 Octa-Core Version Has 2 quadcore cpu .. 1st is the strong cpu and second is the weak cpu .. so when playing ppsspp ,, which one of the cpu is being used ?

06-11-2013, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 07:53 PM by xperiaplay2someday.)
@unknown
Sounds like at least could be a speed up when sorted

I shiuld note that without messing with the governer its def not slow it does decrease drops in game with it on performance but not more then 5fps or so

Xperia Play 2.3.3
06-12-2013, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 12:06 AM by xsacha.)
Yes, governor or performance scheduler makes a huge difference on Android.
Otherwise it keeps trying to drop CPU clock to something sad.

I think there is some sort of flag/hint that we can use to tell it we are actually using a lot of performance.
06-12-2013, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 01:39 AM by kenny43.)
(06-11-2013 07:52 PM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  @unknown

I shiuld note that without messing with the governer its def not slow it does decrease drops in game with it on performance but not more then 5fps or so

It depends on the kernel you're using mainly since custom kernels are usually pointed to either save a lot of energy or have a very good performance, it's normal that it'd scale down a lot since you're using the stock kernel (since it's known to scale down to avoid high temperatures and even when its not so hot it might sometimes ignore heavy loads for a second then take them back on again, even to me that happens) and thus it would slow down the emulator, on the other hand, performance governor will just keep the cpu to the top regardless of how much load you're putting into it, that's why you get good performance but also why it heats up so much as you'd have 2-4 cores on and running at their highest designed clock, governors can be pretty jerky, overall these latest ones since they scale down so easily, then there aren't many multi-core aware governors based on performance, that's one of the things I've got used to with android, having a stock based phone will ensure you have it safe for longer and on good use, then switching to AOSP or custom kernel/roms might give you better performance but also wear off your phone faster while at the same time you'll almost always find a glitch here and there. For me it's worth the sacrifice, since I mostly change phone every year/two years, but I've got so used to it too, most of people gets annoyed at the few glitches that might pop up and get back to stock even if they lose good stuff.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic Tongue Sorry for the long post!

-Samsung galaxy S3 International version - Android 4.4.2
-Dual Core locked CPU, Clocked at 1Ghz-1.8Ghz
-Mali 400MP4 GPU Clocked from 160Mhz to 533Mhz
-1GB ram, boo..
06-12-2013, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 02:07 AM by Merivex.)
(06-12-2013 01:38 AM)kenny43 Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 07:52 PM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  @unknown

It depends on the kernel you're using mainly since custom kernels are usually pointed to either save a lot of energy or have a very good performance, it's normal that it'd scale down a lot since you're using the stock kernel (since it's known to scale down to avoid high temperatures and even when its not so hot it might sometimes ignore heavy loads for a second then take them back on again, even to me that happens) and thus it would slow down the emulator, on the other hand, performance governor will just keep the cpu to the top regardless of how much load you're putting into it, that's why you get good performance but also why it heats up so much as you'd have 2-4 cores on and running at their highest designed clock, governors can be pretty jerky, overall these latest ones since they scale down so easily, then there aren't many multi-core aware governors based on performance, that's one of the things I've got used to with android, having a stock based phone will ensure you have it safe for longer and on good use, then switching to AOSP or custom kernel/roms might give you better performance but also wear off your phone faster while at the same time you'll almost always find a glitch here and there. For me it's worth the sacrifice, since I mostly change phone every year/two years, but I've got so used to it too, most of people gets annoyed at the few glitches that might pop up and get back to stock even if they lose good stuff.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic Tongue Sorry for the long post!

You're out of topic Tongue Tongue Tongue
But I DON'T AGREE with this : then switching to AOSP or custom kernel/roms might give you better performance but also wear off your phone faster while at the same time you'll almost always find a glitch here and there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Custom ROM Remove All unwanted app and bloatware to get the higher performance without Overclock it + u can underclock it to save battery rather than the stock rom .. so I Think Custom Rom is more better than the stock rom Smile But some people doesn't satisfied with the performance and they overclock it . that's where the problem comes Big Grin

06-12-2013, 07:17 AM
I can not see any noticeable increase in emulation speed when I change the governor from pegasus/ondemand to performance. This is on S3 quad Exynos 1,4 ghz.
06-12-2013, 09:34 AM
(06-12-2013 07:17 AM)Elwood Wrote:  I can not see any noticeable increase in emulation speed when I change the governor from pegasus/ondemand to performance. This is on S3 quad Exynos 1,4 ghz.

Because in all the three cases your phone will stay mostly at 1.4,Ghz, as I said performance will just keep it stuck at max (1.4Ghz in your case) while ondemand... Ondemand simply moves the clock up as soon as there's any load lol it's a basic governor just as performance, then finally the S3 pegasusQ, it depends on your kernel, for example mine scales down here and there while playing but not a lot, I'd find it strange if yours wouldn't scale down too, it's better to try it on a heavy game, for example I went on dissidia 012 world map near a gateway that's on a raining zone and just stood there, the fps would go around 42-48vps, but then keeping my phone stuck on 1.4Ghz would make it a constant 48vps.

-Samsung galaxy S3 International version - Android 4.4.2
-Dual Core locked CPU, Clocked at 1Ghz-1.8Ghz
-Mali 400MP4 GPU Clocked from 160Mhz to 533Mhz
-1GB ram, boo..
06-13-2013, 01:12 AM
Yes its hard to tell. I notice the most in games over 50 but under 60fps. Like wipeout pulse or initial d. The music is much smoother because it doesnt drop

My temp has been totally reasonably as well playing 30+mins.

Xperia Play 2.3.3
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I tried to run this game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuuLm_DY-k

but i turned off the sound
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Oh I have that game as well. Its too slow right now even a little help from the governer will not help. This just helps with drops really.

Xperia Play 2.3.3
06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
I think there is a lot of work to do before the game runs perfect. (sorry for my english)
06-16-2013, 05:11 AM
hmmm .. why heavy games are slow ? is our GPU is not powerful enough or there's something code that need to be done to get it smooth ? Big Grin