Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Android softbrick caused by PPSSPP
04-27-2013, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 10:32 PM by Pal_Ind.)
Android softbrick caused by PPSSPP
So, I have a Samsung Galaxy Young (GT-55360) and downloaded PPSSPP from Google Play and tried out the cube.elf homebrew on it.

While the emulator did run (60 VPS on the cube) it has caused my phone to restart and it soft bricked (bootloop screen). This issue has happened before to me and I assumed it was because my phone wasn't rooted.

However, this time it was rooted and yet it happened again. I've seen people being able to run the emulator perfectly on this phone so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Is there anything I need on my phone or is this a known problem with the emulator?

BTW: my Android throws a "cannot mount /data" error when I run in recovery mode. I assume PPSSPP is modifying file structure?
Find all posts by this user
04-27-2013, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 11:00 PM by hyakki.)
RE: Android softbrick caused by PPSSPP
sounds like a hardware defect in your phone causing it to reboot when its put under heavy loads.

/data(/data/) is where all user applications are stored, not just ppsspp so either your nand flash is bad or space is full.
(or its possible the phone doesn't mount the folder in recovery mode to prevent non system applications from running)
04-27-2013, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 10:56 PM by Rishiraj.)
(04-27-2013 10:28 PM)Pal_Ind Wrote:  So, I have a Samsung Galaxy Young (GT-55360) and downloaded PPSSPP from Google Play and tried out the cube.elf homebrew on it.

While the emulator did run (60 VPS on the cube) it has caused my phone to restart and it soft bricked (bootloop screen). This issue has happened before to me and I assumed it was because my phone wasn't rooted.

However, this time it was rooted and yet it happened again. I've seen people being able to run the emulator perfectly on this phone so I assume I'm doing something wrong.

Is there anything I need on my phone or is this a known problem with the emulator?

BTW: my Android throws a "cannot mount /data" error when I run in recovery mode. I assume PPSSPP is modifying file structure?

After reading your post i tried it on my friend's galaxy y and it ran fine so its definitely your phone's problem.Try using the latest svn from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/ . Do not overclock as that might cause soft reboots or change your rom and kernel to a better one.Btw the galaxy y is a low end device so playing psp games on it will not be fun.Its really slow believe me.Still its yours to try Smile
And "NO". Ppsspp does not modify your file structure or recovery.

My Device:
Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray ST18i
Super Jellybean 4.0 (Android 4.1.2)
Fusion Kernel v5.4
1.4 Ghz Arm V7 cpu
512mb Ram
Adreno 205 Gpu

Apple Ipod Touch 4G
Ios 6.1.3

Laptop:
Intel core i5 3210m @3ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz RAm
Nvidia GT650m @gb GDRR3 OCed
1600x900 Hd Resolution
05-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Just reporting, I've solved my issue.

hyakki's guess seems to be right, turns out my phone has a 3D rendering chip that wasn't being used. I've installed the corresponding EGL drivers into my phone and by using Chainfire 3D I got PPSSPP to run... at a whopping 20 VPS.

[Image: ayNjUik.png]

Nevertheless, this result is what I expected and more. Thanks for your help people and thanks to the PPSSPP devs for the amazing emu.
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM
I remember i needed to preinstall my Custom Rom, because i haved done corrupted uninstallation of PPSSPP, because i wanted to try the latest build. And there was no way to install PPSSPP, so i was forced to preinstall the rom Big Grin

ZTE Blade with EliteBlade Rom 2.3.5
Overclocked to 710 MHz
Thread Closed