Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Alternative speed not working for me
03-21-2022, 08:05 PM
Alternative speed not working for me
I'm new to ppsspp, so maybe I'm not understanding something, but it seems I've encountered a bug with the Alternative speed settings in the ppsspp emulator (version 1.12.3)

No matter what I set the alternative speeds to, the actual speeds they adjust don't change at all. I'm not sure what they are actually set to (because the numbers never reflect the reality) but it seems to be around 400% to 500% increase if I were to guess.

It was originally set to 200% by default, then I changed it to 120%, then 100%, then even going lower than 100% to 30%. Each time I changed the setting, the actual speed increase was the same as before I altered the numbers. I shut down ppsspp and started it back up and made sure my settings remained to where I set them to (they did), but the actual adjustment is simply much, much higher than the emulator claims they are. I tried this for both Alternative Speed settings, and the results are the same.

There are no error messages given related to this. I've looked here and elsewhere online, but I cannot find anyone else reporting this issue and am at a total loss with how to proceed. I'm running the emulator on a Windows PC and not a mobile device, in case that is relevant.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2022, 10:48 PM
RE: Alternative speed not working for me
... Still curious if there is a solution. Anyone?
06-30-2022, 03:13 PM
Having the exact same issue on my laptop, though confusingly it does work fine on my desktop. Sucks that there's been no resolution.
07-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Likewise, though only on my laptop. Desktop works perfectly fine.

It's definitely not a controller issue. The toggle works fine an cycles through the altrnate speeds, just nothing happens in game (Tactics Ogre in my case)
07-01-2022, 09:45 PM
Alternate speed is not magic.

For example, if you run it on a weak device that cannot achieve better than 70 FPS, it will not allow going faster than 70 FPS. It just tells PPSSPP to go faster if your device can.

Try using the fast forward key (tab by default), and make sure you can actually go faster on your device. Even if you were convinced by marketing that your device is super amazing, it may not actually be. Most of the time, the limiting factor is graphics card or driver performance.

That said, another possible problem is graphics driver settings. On Windows, PPSSPP will try to render as many frames as possible during fast forward (or alternate speed, but limited to the speed you set.) Some graphics drivers have settings to force vsync, and if you have that enabled, it will stop PPSSPP in its tracks.

One solution is to enable Vsync in PPSSPP's settings instead, if you want vsync. PPSSPP will automatically disable it during fast forward. Alternatively, you can edit ppsspp.ini and look for "UnthrottlingMode =" (without quotes.) Change the value to SKIP_FLIP instead of CONTINUOUS, and that may help. This could make things more choppy especially on higher frame rate displays, though.

-[Unknown]