Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Video Memory Full error
02-08-2021, 04:18 PM
Video Memory Full error
Hi all,

I have a question about a message I received - "Video Memory Full" and switching to "slow caching mode."

I was playing roughly 40 minutes of Final Fantasy IV using PPSSPP GL and received the above message.

After that, the sprites disappeared from both the overworld and battle. What causes this to happen? Is there a setting I should tweak or clear to prevent this? It was quite frustrating.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2021, 01:21 AM
RE: Video Memory Full error
This means your settings are too high. Specifically, render resolution, texture upscaling, or retain changed textures.

This error message means we tried to allocate a texture from your GPU - and it failed. At this point, we try to delete as many textures as we can safely and reduce texture upscaling settings. We reduce caching to delete things faster.

Sometimes, running out of texture memory will just crash. Be glad you had a chance to save.

Remember, your device has "memory" and "storage". Some devices (specifically desktops) will have "video memory" (aka VRAM.) This means you've run out of VRAM, or memory if your device doesn't use separate VRAM. Storage can't help you, even if your device has tons of free storage.

If you disable texture upscaling and keep retain changed textures off, you shouldn't see this error normally.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply