Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 5 Average
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend
12-30-2014, 02:12 AM
RE: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend
Just a few things:

The PSP actually does support sampling input faster than once per frame. I believe the PSP can sample as frequently as once every 5.555 milliseconds, or in other words about 180 times per second. Most phones, laptops, tablets, desktops, and controllers are simply not capable of reporting at this frequency from my experience. The PSP is a carefully crafted gaming device, so this shouldn't be shocking. PCs are not better in *every* way than consoles, despite what some may say.

In PPSSPP we try to poll controllers 250 times per second on Windows (my tests of my controller have shown that my controller reports old, stale results for most of those 250 polls.) For mouse, keyboard input, and Android, we take whatever we can get (in these cases, we use apis that tell us "immediately" when a keypress happens, but unfortunately the actual lag may vary wildly by device.)

However, *this* game (or at least a demo in the series) only samples once every 60 seconds, the default frequency. So I'd like to make a note, please read it:

This game does not even utilize the maximum capabilities of the PSP, as far as input latency.

In fact, you could add a hack to the game to make the input lower latency. We RESPECT the game's latency requests, and so you CANNOT get better latency than 16.66 milliseconds in this game. That's the latency it requests and has on the PSP, and so that's the latency we emulate.

Just to make sure it's super clear: even if you have awesome hardware and can get great latency on input, this game DOES NOT SUPPORT IT. It requires a rom hack to make it support better latency than 60Hz. You might even try this and see if it makes your latency concerns better. I'm not sure if it would affect the game's timing though (it could.) This is just how Project Diva is programmed. It's how it works on a PSP, whether you like it or not.

As far as this bug, it's a ghost. There's absolutely no proof that it doesn't exist or does, and there seems to be no way to prove that it does exist or doesn't. The only argument that it doesn't work is "I find it easier to get a better score on a PSP, I think." That's the scientific equivalent of, "this pill makes me feel less hungry, I think."

I doubt it will EVER be fixed, because such a bug is basically unfixable. Programming is a beautiful art, but it's also a science. Emotions can't be plugged into programs, and they can't be debugged. When all our tests on real hardware pass just fine, we're left with nothing else. Maybe the tests aren't good enough, but we don't know how to make them better. If you want this bug fixed, your best bet is to try to find a way to prove the problem with a test.

Otherwise, I say hear, hear to LunaMoo's post. He makes many great points.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Project Diva Extend - cloud1250000 - 11-30-2012, 03:28 AM
RE: Project Diva Extend - cloud1250000 - 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: Project Diva Extend - Henrik - 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: Project Diva Extend - gluemchen - 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Project Diva Extend - zzq920817 - 12-01-2012, 06:41 AM
RE: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Extend - [Unknown] - 12-30-2014 02:12 AM
Project Diva Extend DLC - Nathalex1 - 01-29-2014, 03:09 AM
Input Lag - GordonFHL3 - 10-19-2014, 12:13 AM