Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 5 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Community Expansion (WIP) [Updated 12/16/2021]
09-27-2020, 07:54 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 09/26/2020]
Hello, I did something similar for the EUR version (I don't own the US version and I am unsure it would work with it). I have around 5K texture dumped but with hash=xxh64 on the EUR version so I don't think it's gonna be compatible with yours.

I tried something with waifu2x(vulkan in my case as I wanted processing speed) and then GigapixelAI. Likewise had issue with the alpha channel not being upscaled and still being low res. That's why I then batch extracted all alpha channel (with imagemagisk), upscaled them (with waifuvulkan CLI) separately then remerged them but the haloing bright edge are still there somehow (I believe it's due to some sharpening applied).. I also noticed GigapixelAI affect the color of the image.

A workaround would be to defringe all blinking textures which I've done with great success but since it cut down a bit the texture it's not a clean way to do it I believe (I did it with Autocrispy without upscaling. I didn't bother finding another way to batch defringe images yet..).

Finally I had some issue with the UI text transparency when upscaling with GigapixelAI too (and I didn't tried DenoiseAI yet, I don't own it). Did you encounter the same issue ?

Thanks for sharing your procedure (i'm going to play around this) Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2020, 03:58 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using AI (WIP) [Updated 09/26/2020]
What I am currently missing is the portrait for the P4 teacher cameo at the beach in the Male MC route, the FEMC Yukata portraits (both the Inn and the Festival ones), some other FEMC Inn textures probably, any cutscene or FEMC specific render, and possibly some Ryoji textures. If anyone has saves at or closely before those moments, I will gladly take them (even if they are 10 in-game days before).
09-29-2020, 07:08 PM
(09-27-2020 07:54 AM)BanhCanh Wrote:  Hello, I did something similar for the EUR version (I don't own the US version and I am unsure it would work with it). I have around 5K texture dumped but with hash=xxh64 on the EUR version so I don't think it's gonna be compatible with yours.

I tried something with waifu2x(vulkan in my case as I wanted processing speed) and then GigapixelAI. Likewise had issue with the alpha channel not being upscaled and still being low res. That's why I then batch extracted all alpha channel (with imagemagisk), upscaled them (with waifuvulkan CLI) separately then remerged them but the haloing bright edge are still there somehow (I believe it's due to some sharpening applied).. I also noticed GigapixelAI affect the color of the image.

A workaround would be to defringe all blinking textures which I've done with great success but since it cut down a bit the texture it's not a clean way to do it I believe (I did it with Autocrispy without upscaling. I didn't bother finding another way to batch defringe images yet..).

Finally I had some issue with the UI text transparency when upscaling with GigapixelAI too (and I didn't tried DenoiseAI yet, I don't own it). Did you encounter the same issue ?

Thanks for sharing your procedure (i'm going to play around this) Smile

Wow! Thanks for explaining your results. I did not use Gigapixel AI for the UI. Most of the UI was already done by DinJerr and hououin_kyouma in their versions of the texture pack. When working with the remaining UI textures (mainly a few characters like $ and ^), I did one of three things:
1) Redrew them completely. I'm not very good at this, but drawing a black circle or a horizontal line isn't that difficult.
2) Upscaled them using waifu2x and then edited them if necessary (which it often was). This was helpful for textures that were rather simple and easy for the AI to make out, like the texture for the character ^.
3) Stole the texture from another source and then edited it to match the style of the game (and size of the pack). For example, I took the @ symbol from a font pack similar to the one used in the game (since I couldn't figure out what the actual font pack was) and edited the proportions.
09-29-2020, 09:53 PM
(09-29-2020 07:08 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  ...

Here is my texture dump (vanilla, not sorted at all :/), but like I said I don't know if it's of any use for the US version. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJQ6-AS...sp=sharing

I'm done with playing the game for now (3 playthrough and still failed to get Telos Sad ) but I'm still trying things. I saw the message about ESRGAN with 4x_fatal_Anime_500000_G_4x_FatalPixels_340000_G_interp_075 (on the P2 thread) and I'm playing around it a bit. It looks very good and blinking artifacts are minimal compared to GigapixelAI and doesn't seem to mess up the UI or whatever! (I want to be able to batch upscale everything without much manual intervention, i'm very lazy Tongue)
It's my first time using it and I'm very impressed
09-29-2020, 10:47 PM
There is a way to remove the blinking artifacts, but it takes a little more work. If you send me an un-upscaled texture I can make a video of me upscaling it without artifacts. Lemme know
09-30-2020, 07:38 AM (This post was last modified: 09-30-2020 08:35 AM by BanhCanh.)
(09-29-2020 10:47 PM)ryuubu Wrote:  There is a way to remove the blinking artifacts, but it takes a little more work. If you send me an un-upscaled texture I can make a video of me upscaling it without artifacts. Lemme know

If you don't mind giving a try, I'd like to know how to do that Smile thanks

Here is Pharos, it's the first portrait you meet just before entering your MC name:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eyimya6...sp=sharing

edit: how it looks when I upscale with ESRGAN with the model mentionned above : https://prnt.sc/uqgpt9
10-09-2020, 01:20 PM
(09-29-2020 09:53 PM)BanhCanh Wrote:  
(09-29-2020 07:08 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  ...

Here is my texture dump (vanilla, not sorted at all :/), but like I said I don't know if it's of any use for the US version. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJQ6-AS...sp=sharing

I'm done with playing the game for now (3 playthrough and still failed to get Telos Sad ) but I'm still trying things. I saw the message about ESRGAN with 4x_fatal_Anime_500000_G_4x_FatalPixels_340000_G_interp_075 (on the P2 thread) and I'm playing around it a bit. It looks very good and blinking artifacts are minimal compared to GigapixelAI and doesn't seem to mess up the UI or whatever! (I want to be able to batch upscale everything without much manual intervention, i'm very lazy Tongue)
It's my first time using it and I'm very impressed

Your Google Drive link is private. It's the same deal with the other one you sent. You need to enable link sharing and turn it to public (it's a real pain to do, but it's a necessity).
10-09-2020, 02:41 PM
(10-09-2020 01:20 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  Your Google Drive link is private. It's the same deal with the other one you sent. You need to enable link sharing and turn it to public (it's a real pain to do, but it's a necessity).

I was sure I did it but It should be fixed now, I just tried to download from it in private browsing mode and it worked. Do tell me if you can't access it though, i'll consider uploading it somewhere else.
10-09-2020, 06:24 PM
(10-09-2020 02:41 PM)BanhCanh Wrote:  
(10-09-2020 01:20 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  Your Google Drive link is private. It's the same deal with the other one you sent. You need to enable link sharing and turn it to public (it's a real pain to do, but it's a necessity).

I was sure I did it but It should be fixed now, I just tried to download from it in private browsing mode and it worked. Do tell me if you can't access it though, i'll consider uploading it somewhere else.

I downloaded it and they seem to match up with many of my textures (hashcode is the same). Have you ever tried using the texture pack with the European version (just renaming the folder accordingly)? I wonder if they are practically identical with textures.
10-09-2020, 09:15 PM
(10-09-2020 06:24 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  I downloaded it and they seem to match up with many of my textures (hashcode is the same). Have you ever tried using the texture pack with the European version (just renaming the folder accordingly)? I wonder if they are practically identical with textures.

I never tried because I had already quickly ai upscaled myself some textures but.. yes it just works. At least Dinjerr's UI pack works. Well, I might just use those packs in the futur lol.
I'll test the larger pack later but it looks like it's gonna be ok. It's a bit bothersome right now because I have everything synced in my hosted nextcloud which have issue with syncing tons of files at once.

Since I'm not updating it anymore, here is my ai upscaled pack. I can show you the ugly .bat script that made it if you're interested but it's basically using ESRGAN and waifu2xcaffe for alpha (had issue with transparency otherwise).

(~2Go, ~5k textures) upscaled x4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HxPX8hK...sp=sharing
10-09-2020, 10:15 PM
(10-09-2020 09:15 PM)BanhCanh Wrote:  
(10-09-2020 06:24 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  I downloaded it and they seem to match up with many of my textures (hashcode is the same). Have you ever tried using the texture pack with the European version (just renaming the folder accordingly)? I wonder if they are practically identical with textures.

I never tried because I had already quickly ai upscaled myself some textures but.. yes it just works. At least Dinjerr's UI pack works. Well, I might just use those packs in the futur lol.
I'll test the larger pack later but it looks like it's gonna be ok. It's a bit bothersome right now because I have everything synced in my hosted nextcloud which have issue with syncing tons of files at once.

Since I'm not updating it anymore, here is my ai upscaled pack. I can show you the ugly .bat script that made it if you're interested but it's basically using ESRGAN and waifu2xcaffe for alpha (had issue with transparency otherwise).

(~2Go, ~5k textures) upscaled x4

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HxPX8hK...sp=sharing

A lot of the upscales seem a bit off. Although, I'll do a comparison with my new upscales when they finish (which could be never at this rate). Also, what exactly was the issue with transparency? I didn't think there was an issue when using the specified model in ESRGAN using IEU. Is there something I'm missing?
10-09-2020, 10:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2020 10:40 PM by BanhCanh.)
(10-09-2020 10:15 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  A lot of the upscales seem a bit off. Although, I'll do a comparison with my new upscales when they finish (which could be never at this rate). Also, what exactly was the issue with transparency? I didn't think there was an issue when using the specified model in ESRGAN using IEU. Is there something I'm missing?

It's possible, I wasn't too picky with the quality, it just looked good enough for me. I believe yours looks better, I really looked for the easiest way/ok quality.

The textures's opacity were altered. I mean I'm clearly no expert and I might have enabled the wrong settings but I had some textures being too transparent: you could see the background through the portrait for example. So I played around and since upscaling alpha channels with waifu2xcaffe gave good result I decided to do that instead. Kind of quick and dirty but I don't know how else I can fix this.

I've used this:
https://github.com/JoeyBallentine/ESRGAN

Here's is what I've done:
Quote:move "D:\Nextcloud\Emulation\PSP\TEXTURES\ULES01523\new\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\untouched"^
&& magick "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\untouched\*.png" -set filename:base "%[basename]" -alpha extract "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\splitted\alpha\%[filename:base].png"^
&& magick convert "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\untouched\*.png" -set filename:base "%[basename]" -alpha off "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\splitted\noalpha\%[filename:base].png"^
&& python "D:\Programmes\ESRGAN\upscale.py" "D:\Programmes\ESRGAN\models\4x_fatal_Anime_500000_G_4x_FatalPixels_340000_G_inte​rp_075.pth" --input "D:\Output\P3P\pending\splitted\noalpha" --output "D:\Output\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\noalphax4" --skip_existing --alpha_mode 2^
&& D:\Programmes\waifu2x-caffe\waifu2x-caffe-cui.exe -i "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\splitted\alpha" -o "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\alphax4_waifu2xcaffe" -m noise_scale --scale_ratio 4.0 --noise_level 3 --tta "1" -p "cudnn" -c "320" --model_dir "models/cunet"^
&& (for /r "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\noalphax4\" %a in (*.png) do (magick convert "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\noalphax4\%~na.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\alphax4_waifu2xcaffe\%~na.png" -alpha off -compose CopyOpacity -composite "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\readyx4\%~na.png"))^
&& Xcopy "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\readyx4\*.png" "D:\Nextcloud\Emulation\PSP\TEXTURES\ULES01523"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\untouched\*" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\Orig\untouched"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\splitted\noalpha\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\Orig\splitted\noalpha"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending\splitted\alpha\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\Orig\splitted\alpha"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\alphax4_waifu2xcaffe\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\done_ESRGAN\alphax4_waifu2xcaffe"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\noalphax4\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\done_ESRGAN\noalphax4"^
&& move "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\pending_ESRGAN\readyx4\*.png" "D:\OUTPUT\P3P\done_ESRGAN\readyx4"

It works "ok" so.. but next time I play, I'm definitely going to replace some of my textures with those higher quality packs since I now know it works. Meanwhile if you did get good result with ESRGAN-only I'd like to know where I did wrong though. Thanks
10-10-2020, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2020 02:08 PM by TridentOfTheAbyss.)
(10-09-2020 10:39 PM)BanhCanh Wrote:  ...

If you're using Windows and not Linux, then this is what I recommend using: Image Enhancement Utility (IEU): https://github.com/ptrsuder/IEU.Winforms/releases.
It can be used to interpolate models, chain models, and even do the alpha channel splitting automatically. Just set your ESRGAN master folder in the options, put your textures into the IEU_input folder it creates, select your model(s), and press the SPLIT-ESRGAN-MERGE button. After that, it does everything for you. No need to create a batch file or anything.

(10-10-2020 01:34 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  
(10-09-2020 10:39 PM)BanhCanh Wrote:  ...

If you're using Windows and not Linux, then this is what I recommend using: Image Enhancement Utility (IEU): https://github.com/ptrsuder/IEU.Winforms/releases.
It can be used to interpolate models, chain models, and even do the alpha channel splitting automatically. Just set your ESRGAN master folder in the options, put your textures into the IEU_input folder it creates, select your model(s), and press the SPLIT-ESRGAN-MERGE button. After that, it does everything for you. No need to create a batch file or anything.

Never mind! That is turning mine transparent too!
10-10-2020, 06:45 PM
(10-10-2020 01:34 PM)TridentOfTheAbyss Wrote:  ...

I used it too, for quick test, but I like the command line better. Allow me to just start it and it split/merge alpha, waifu2xcaffe, esrgan, move around files with one command. It makes life easier imo. I'm a bit new to it but it's similar enough to Linux's terminal. You probably can make it so it auto-detect any change in a folder and automate the whole thing ?
I'd like to add that I believe the color of my upscaled textures are different from vanilla (if I remember correctly) so you might want to keep that in mind if you want to use it or do something similar! (feel free to do whatever you want with it btw)
10-14-2020, 04:50 AM
I tried to extract or open 3x Version 2.0 (1 GB) in order to apply the textures but I keep telling me this is not a zip file and if try to open it shows being empty.

Is there something I'm doing wrong???