Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/10/2020]
06-04-2020, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2020 11:02 PM by TridentOfTheAbyss.)
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/10/2020]
First and foremost, this is an expansion on the work done by hououin_kyouma and DinJerr, linked here:
DinJerr's Original Work
hououin_kyouma's Expansion

This expansion mainly includes a lot more character portraits and a few more backgrounds (among possibly other things). These upscales are all x6 the original resolution and are done by waifu2x, not by my own redrawing. These were made using/for the US version of the game so I'm not sure if they'll work for other versions.

Here's a gallery if you want to see the results for yourself: Album

Here's the download link (take the latest version from the folder). Also, instructions are included for installing the texture pack under the "How to install.txt" file:
Download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...tHhqHlFa97

Note: I would very much appreciate any collected textures, save files, or save states as I lost mine and am in the process of recollecting them. Thank you!

----------------------

For those interested, this is how I upscaled each portrait/background:
First, I enabled cudnn for waifu2x-caffe upscaling and set the settings to Denoise & Magnify at Level 0 (as this worked better than just Magnify). Magnification size was at a rate of 6. The model was CUnet (unless something else happened to work better, but this was most often not the case) and TTA was enabled. Split size and Batch size were not changed. I used CUDA as my processor in settings. After upscaling this way, I then denoised (Denoise only) each image at Level 3 using the same settings as before. I did it this way because Magnify and Denoise Level 3 removes far too much detail and the differences between Level 0, Level 1, and Level 2 seemed to only be the time it took to complete.
If you have some better method, I am openly willing to test it out (if I can get it to work) or give you my collected textures for your own testing. Also, please don't suggest ESRGAN. In my testing, it did not work as well as waifu2x. Here's a comparison shot before denoising if you are interested: Comparison (waifu2x is on the left and ESRGAN is on the right)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2020, 12:06 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/04/2020]
Would you be releasing a 3x version in the future too? 6x can be a little bit overkill and most of the time...stuttery too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2020, 04:38 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/04/2020]
(06-05-2020 12:06 AM)AkiraJkr Wrote:  Would you be releasing a 3x version in the future too? 6x can be a little bit overkill and most of the time...stuttery too.

Maybe. It'd probably just be a downscale of the x6 version, but I don't imagine it would be too difficult if I did it after large updates (or just large amounts of updates). However, right now, I just want to focus on getting the portraits done.
06-14-2020, 09:34 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/10/2020]
Awesome work bro! What's next on the list to do?
06-18-2020, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2020 09:55 AM by _CyberSnake_.)
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack Expansion Using waifu2x (WIP) [Updated 06/10/2020]
Here's 1,75 GB of my HD Portraits.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o-fdaZz...sp=sharing
I converted those from FES PS2 version ( Which is higher res than P3P ) and then upscaled with my custom models. So quality should be significantly higher. It's not even remotely complete tho since this games is insanely huge. I also had to remove blink animations since they create artifacts.
Junpei example:
https://imgur.com/a/qe4Lzsp