Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP not staring on Philips Android TV
05-14-2020, 04:57 PM
PPSSPP not staring on Philips Android TV
Hi,

I own a Philips 55POS9002 tv set, with Android TV.
I installed ppsspp from the official google playstore. My tv set has been marked as compatible with ppsspp in google playstore.

If I'm trying to start ppsspp nothing is happening; there is just a black screen.

I followed the following tip, which i found on the faq page...

Quote:PPSSPP doesn't start on my Android device. What can I do?
It may be that you switched the graphics backend to Vulkan, and there might be some devices out there with broken support for this brand new graphics API. If you're stuck in this situation, delete the file /PSP/SYSTEM/ppsspp.ini, or open it in a text editor and change GPUBackend to 0.

... but it was already set to zero.

The specs are as follows (also here):
- SoC MediaTek MT5596A
- Processor (CPU) ARM Cortex-A53
- CPU cores 4
- CPU frequency 1100 MHz
- GPU ARM Mali-T860 MP2
- GPU cores 2
- GPU frequency 700 MHz
- RAM capacity 2 GB
- Storage 16 GB

The OS is Android TV 8.0.0

I've also tried out ePSXe and it's running great on my tv set. I've also tried other emulators but ppsspp is the only one that does not start at all.

What can I do?

Best, greg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2020, 04:39 PM
RE: PPSSPP not staring on Philips Android TV
I suggest trying the latest git build - I think we fixed an issue that was causing some Android TV devices to composite badly.

http://ppsspp.org/downloads.html

-[Unknown]
05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
(05-16-2020 04:39 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  I suggest trying the latest git build

Thank you. so, 1.9.4 APK is not the latest version but the version on Git? How do I download (and compile?) the version of Git?

Thanks, Greg
05-17-2020, 01:49 PM
It's on the downloads page. You don't need to compile - there's already compiled versions available.

When developers write code, obviously it's not like there's nothing one day and the next day everything is done. Instead, it's a series of little changes. For example, there were over 600 changes between v1.8.x and v1.9.x. Each change was designed to fix a bug, improve performance, or make the code better in some way.

Eventually, when we've reached a milestone (fixed certain bugs we wanted to fix) or otherwise feel it's "ready", a new stable version is released. But really, this is like making a stop on a long road trip. If there are major bugs found soon after the release, new releases are made (i.e. that's how we got to v1.9.3.)

There have been over 800 changes now since v1.9.x, and just one of those 800 changes - I believe - may fix your issue.

A lot of people use the git builds, and they're pretty stable. But they aren't quite as well tested as the release versions, so it's possible you'll run into different bugs. I doubt they'll be worse than a totally black screen.

-[Unknown]
05-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Thank you.

Just for clarification, you're suggesting to install the APK from here which is 1.9.4 APK, correct?

I have installed v. 1.9.4 from Google Playstore. Are there two different version of v. 1.9.4, one on Google Playstore and the other on the download page?

Or, shall I download the apk, say, from here. Latest revision is v1.9.3-861-gfdd0b372a. Is this "never" than 1.9.4?

Sorry for asking but I'm really confused.

Best, Greg
05-18-2020, 06:56 AM
(05-17-2020 02:53 PM)gregpeters Wrote:  Or, shall I download the apk, say, from here. Latest revision is v1.9.3-861-gfdd0b372a.

okay, installed v1.9.3-861-gfdd0b372a and it is running on my android tv.

Thank you, Greg
05-19-2020, 05:41 AM
v1.9.3-861-gfdd0b372a is indeed confusingly newer than v1.9.4. Unfortunately, the v1.9.4 release was only made available on Android and so the versions on the build bot still number from v1.9.3.

-[Unknown]
07-01-2020, 06:30 AM
Hi there.
I've got the same problem with another Philips TV Philips 43pus7304. Android 9.0. App does not start, black screen only.
07-05-2020, 06:54 PM
Have you tried v1.10.1?

-[Unknown]
01-27-2021, 05:49 PM
Hi, I have new Android TV Philips 70PUS8505 and with all (also new version) of ppsspp still same problem - black screen after runing PPSSPP - so I cant see menu of program.
Do you have any solution please?
02-02-2021, 05:56 AM
The problem is that the application selects Vulkan at startup but does not check if the system supports it.
02-06-2021, 03:00 AM
We do in fact check if Vulkan is supported, even trying to initialize it. We call several Vulkan-specific APIs that might fail, and check each carefully for failure. If it fails to initialize, then we don't allow it.

However, if the OS and driver supports Vulkan, but is buggy - i.e. Vulkan doesn't work properly be can be started - then we can't tell, and we still try to use it. That's probably what's happening here.

-[Unknown]