Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
official source tarball (NOT git)
11-26-2012, 08:11 PM
official source tarball (NOT git)
Greetings,

I would like to package ppsspp for the pkgsrc package management system. However, there's not a source distfile available for the current release. Would it be possible to have one generated and posted for version 0.31? If that is not possible, would it be possible for subsequent releases? I'm not interested in pulling the master tarball from git as a solution.

Best regards,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 08:45 PM
RE: official source tarball (NOT git)
It's a bit early for that I think, PPSSPP is still in very early stages. If you insist, you'll have to make do with the tar that Github generates every time we tag a new version: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/tags . Don't know if that includes the "native" submodule, which is required for building, though.
11-26-2012, 10:16 PM
(11-26-2012 08:45 PM)Henrik Wrote:  It's a bit early for that I think, PPSSPP is still in very early stages. If you insist, you'll have to make do with the tar that Github generates every time we tag a new version: https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/tags . Don't know if that includes the "native" submodule, which is required for building, though.
I disagree. You're already versioning the package and providing downloads for the various OSes/platforms that are officially supported. This would just be one more file with the source needed to build the ppsspp. However, i see that you're not providing any downloads for the 0.3.x branch, so if that's what you mean by "too early", then i understand.

Thanks for the link to the tagged distfiles. I missed that somehow on your github. That's exactly what i was looking for, but like you thought it doesn't include the native submodule which is needed to build ppsspp.

When it is deemed ready to start providing official source distfiles for this package, i would be most interested in testing it under pkgsrc. There's also a bulk build team for pkgsrc that builds packages under various OS/architectures, so you could see how ppsspp builds/installs on quite a few more systems.

I'll monitor this thread and your official downloads for any distfiles posted. When they are, i'll come back with a build and install log and any patches that were required to get it to work properly under pkgsrc.

Best regards,
11-27-2012, 03:41 AM
You can grab the native submodule separately from github.
11-28-2012, 12:36 AM
(11-27-2012 03:41 AM)xsacha Wrote:  You can grab the native submodule separately from github.
The point is to not have a rather unnecessary dependency on git.
11-28-2012, 07:33 AM
When you try to build some software, you first download all the dependencies. Native is a dependency like there is in any other software and you can download the source using HTTP in the same way so there's no reason for you to ignore that.
11-28-2012, 11:12 AM
(11-28-2012 07:33 AM)Orphis Wrote:  When you try to build some software, you first download all the dependencies. Native is a dependency like there is in any other software and you can download the source using HTTP in the same way so there's no reason for you to ignore that.
There's no reason for it to be packaged incorrectly and thus require more than one step to fetch the distfile, in this case. pkgsrc has no problem fetching and building the dependencies otherwise.
11-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, it's not packaged incorrectly, native is still a dependency just like any other.
You'll need to install it before compiling ppsspp.

If your build system can't accommodate this, don't blame us, just use another package provider / builder.
11-29-2012, 10:29 PM
(11-29-2012 12:22 AM)Orphis Wrote:  Well, it's not packaged incorrectly, native is still a dependency just like any other.
You'll need to install it before compiling ppsspp.

If your build system can't accommodate this, don't blame us, just use another package provider / builder.
I don't understand why this isn't bundled with the code. Isn't it part of your package?
11-29-2012, 10:31 PM
No. It's a dependency.
It is just referenced as a git submodule for commodity.
11-30-2012, 02:12 AM
I would really suggest that this "native" dependency be packaged with ppsspp. It doesn't seem to be a traditional dependency (like SDL, zlib, GL, etc.) given that there aren't any versions nor tarballs for this "dependency", so it really can't be packaged separately.
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
"Native" is my portability/utility library which I share between multiple projects, PPSSPP just happens to be the only open source one.

With git submodules, it's very easy to keep it updated. "git submodule update --init" and it's there, the right version of it too.

Distributing traditional tarballs seems unnecessary. The equivalent of a "source code release" for PPSSPP is right now a simple "git clone ... (at tag); git submodule update --init; tar ..." and I don't see why things need to be more complicated than that just to satisfy some packaging system, at least not until the project is considerably more mature. Sorry.
11-30-2012, 02:01 PM
(11-30-2012 09:38 AM)Henrik Wrote:  Distributing traditional tarballs seems unnecessary. The equivalent of a "source code release" for PPSSPP is right now a simple "git clone ... (at tag); git submodule update --init; tar ..." and I don't see why things need to be more complicated than that just to satisfy some packaging system, at least not until the project is considerably more mature. Sorry.
Again, the point is to reduce dependencies. git is neither a build dependency nor a runtime dependency for this package. Thus, it is not necessary if the distfile is packaged properly. In this case, that would include whatever version of the "native" library that is used to build that particular version.

Think about this from the perspective of an automated package build. The process you're suggesting - just for the fetch stage - is three steps instead of one (fetching one complete distfile) and has no verifiable checksum for the resulting distfile. That is both overcomplicated and less secure.

Packaging this properly would facilitate its build on NetBSD, FreeBSD, SunOS, various distributions of Linux, Darwin (MacOS), and the many other OSes that pkgsrc supports. Thus, problems in the build and install stages would easily be detected, could be reported to upstream (you), and thus your code would mature at a faster rate. Please, reconsider this. It's not an outlandish request.
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Hm, alright. Let's say I write a script that I run every time I do a release, that simply does the above and publishes the resulting tar.gz containing the complete source code at a predictable URL. Would that be acceptable?
11-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Acceptable? That would be heroic, sir. Exactly what is needed.