Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
question about Neon SIMD support(android)
04-13-2013, 03:04 AM
RE: question about Neon SIMD support(android)
Currently we don't make enough use of NEON. But the plan is to use it to improve texture loading, audio, and SIMD operations the PSP's CPU supports itself.

There's still a lot to optimize and improve even ignoring NEON, so I can say I'm sure it'll be faster even on non-NEON devices. But there are going to be some games that use SIMD heavily that will probably need NEON to get reasonable performance - that said, I'm just guessing.

Can't know the performance exactly until we write it. I'd expect the A9 to still do better as a guess.

I think 512 MB will be fine.

The PSP itself is NOT multicore. Videos and audio decoding (neither of which PPSSPP does yet) are done on a separate chip, and the GPU processing is done on a separate chip. We can move all of those off the main core, which definitely will help performance. What we can't do is make the game itself multicore - it will definitely break if we do, since PSP games were not written for multicore, and will get confused and trip.

So, in other words, I don't think PPSSPP will ever be able to utilize 4 cores. Probably at best 2 with some small stuff running on a third.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: question about Neon SIMD support(android) - [Unknown] - 04-13-2013 03:04 AM