Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ppsspp darkstalkers on android
03-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Ppsspp darkstalkers on android
I am attempting to play darkstalkers on my GP XD+ but some of the menus won't display and the character. I am running 1.7.5 and have attempted to change the mode from buffer to skip but this doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have the best way to get darkstalkers to work?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2019, 10:00 AM
RE: Ppsspp darkstalkers on android
(03-11-2019 07:13 AM)viprit Wrote:  I am attempting to play darkstalkers on my GP XD+ but some of the menus won't display and the character. I am running 1.7.5 and have attempted to change the mode from buffer to skip but this doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have the best way to get darkstalkers to work?

The only way to play it with recent versions of PPSSPP is to use software mode, which is unplayable slow unless you run it on a very powerful system.

This game apparently runs in emulation rather than being natively programmed for the PSP and as such the people working on PPSSPP don't consider it a real PSP game, so no attempt to make it playable in hardware mode will be made.

Actually there used to be an option, Read to Memory if I remember correctly, which would make it playable with some graphical glitches. However at least one contributor hated that the option was a hack and even though it caused no problems when not used, and even though it was only ever used on games that couldn't be played any other way, it was removed a while back.
03-18-2019, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 04:10 AM by [Unknown].)
To describe it perhaps a slightly less jaded way:

The hardware renderer relies on games basically drawing things like 3D triangles, the way almost all modern games do now (even 2D games.) This is how it increases the render resolution and applies other effects, like texture scaling. Luckily, almost all PSP games draw graphics this way.

Unfortunately, this game isn't one of them. I don't have the game and have never tried it, so I can't comment on whether it's emulating a retro console internally. Even most ports (like PS1 or PS2 games ported to PSP) render graphics the modern way.

The game is instead drawing things pixel-by-pixel. Specifically for Android, the tough thing about this is it's hard to emulate fast on a modern device, especially phones. Modern graphics hardware is so well optimized for how modern games work that drawing things pixel by pixel is even slower than it ever was before. That's part of why no one does it anymore.

Anyway, there was a broken configuration before called "read framebuffers to memory." It was probably a bit confusing, but it was basically the equivalent of driving in a car and speeding past any red lights (except, it was also slow.) It might seem to be working, but eventually, you'll definitely crash. It's just not the right way to drive a car in the first place, only fools drive that way.

A lot of people would turn on that setting in various games, and then get crashes later. And that setting was originally designed to fix just one game (Danganronpa), which we fixed in a better and faster way anyway. It got to the point where in almost every game (basically except this one, I guess), turning on "read framebuffers to memory" was basically like pointing a gun at your foot. You'd get more graphical glitches and more crashes, and it'd be slower. No pros to those cons, it was just worse. So of the let's say 2000 PSP games, for 1950 or something... this setting was basically stupid to keep.

So like anyone would, we removed the setting (and some of the broken code associated with it.) This actually helped us later when we rebuilt the way multithreading works, and made rendering faster on all devices. Keeping bad code around always has a cost, and usually that cost is progress. If we didn't ditch bad code, this game probably would've never started working in the first place - we'd still be trapped in a maze of duct tape and twine trying to find a way to balance another statue on a tripline.

But if you prefer the style of development that keeps bad code around - best look for a different emulator. One that runs a lot less games on less platforms, and does it with worse performance.

It's a shame that this particular game, with its terrible way of rendering, has been a casualty of this. I'm not sure it'll never work in the hardware renderer, and it might be possible to figure out a way to do something like that old bad "read framebuffers to memory" setting, but without running all the red lights.

We've actually fixed similar issues in a few other games already, but fans of those games were more interested in getting into the emulator and contributing better fixes than getting angry that we threw away ugly masses of duct tape. Remember, PPSSPP is open source - and it gets better when people contribute.

-[Unknown]
03-18-2019, 09:46 AM
(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  To describe it perhaps a slightly less jaded way:

My attitude comes from the way the person who gave me this information talked down to pretty much everyone in the thread. They give off a serious "If you're not using PPSSPP the way that I use it, you're using it wrong!" vibe in many of their posts.

Also, that wasn't my only experience with them. I wanted to map the face buttons to mouse movements so that I could use the mouse for aiming in FPS games which use the face buttons for controlling the camera. I can do this with an external program and it works fairly well. No, it's not as good as real mouse control, but it's better than using the buttons, or even mapping the buttons to an analog stick in my opinion. Unfortunately, PPSSPP's built-in support for this wasn't nearly as usable. When I posted about this, I was told that it wasn't meant to be used that way, that using the mouse to simulate buttons presses sucks and that games aren't worth playing that way. They wouldn't want to play a game that way, therefore it wasn't worth any attention. As far as I know, they never even bothered to try the external program I mentioned so they could compare the differences themselves, they just dismissed the whole idea, like they dismissed people wanting to play Darkstalkers because it's not a 'true' PSP game.

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The hardware renderer relies on games basically drawing things like 3D triangles, the way almost all modern games do now (even 2D games.) This is how it increases the render resolution and applies other effects, like texture scaling. Luckily, almost all PSP games draw graphics this way.

First off, let me state that I love PPSSPP. I think it's a great emulator, especially for there being so little documentation about the inner workings of the PSP. I don't want to seem like I'm putting it down or belittling the authors' work in any way. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it was worth it.

That said, the problem with making an emulator that relies on games and other programs conforming to the expected rules is that there will always be exceptions to those rules and the emulator will never get to be 100% compatible that way. Now, I'm not saying that it needs to be coded in such a way that it emulates everything right down to the hardware level and runs at about 2FPS on a 4Ghz i7, but dismissing some games or software as improper because they don't do things the way most others do can lead to problems.

Many years ago, I had a Commodore 64 emulator for the Amiga called A64. As long as software followed the rules and used proper ROM calls, it would work. Needless to say that it failed miserably at running any commercial games. Actually, about all it could run were BASIC programs and simple assembly programs. Current emulators like VICE have come a long way and can now run probably 99.99% of all programs. Actually, I've never found anything it couldn't handle.

If possible, I would like to see PPSSPP one day attain that level of compatibility.

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  So like anyone would, we removed the setting (and some of the broken code associated with it.) This actually helped us later when we rebuilt the way multithreading works, and made rendering faster on all devices. Keeping bad code around always has a cost, and usually that cost is progress. If we didn't ditch bad code, this game probably would've never started working in the first place - we'd still be trapped in a maze of duct tape and twine trying to find a way to balance another statue on a tripline.

I still lament the loss of that option, but it was never explained in this manner. All I got before was basically "It didn't work properly so we took it out."

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  We've actually fixed similar issues in a few other games already, but fans of those games were more interested in getting into the emulator and contributing better fixes than getting angry that we threw away ugly masses of duct tape. Remember, PPSSPP is open source - and it gets better when people contribute.

I'd help if I could, but I know nothing about modern programming. I wasn't even very good at programming the C64. Any "help" I could contribute is pretty much limited to making suggestions and testing for bugs. Sometimes I'm hesitant to post to the bug tracker because even after looking through the other issues, I'm never 100% sure if I'm just going to be duplicating something that's already known under a different name.
03-18-2019, 01:29 PM
Well, that's why we have a software renderer - to emulate the way any game might draw. It still has bugs, but the biggest problem is that it's slow. I've actually spent a bunch of time making it faster (and it has gotten faster), and I have some plans still to improve it more.

But like I said, modern GPUs and designed for the way modern graphics are drawn. There are many things one can do with the PSP's GPU that are actually faster (even on that 333 Mhz device and its 167 Mhz GPU) than on a modern device - in part because the PSP didn't have drivers blocking you from accessing the GPU directly. Vulkan has helped here in some ways (it gives us more low level access to the GPU), but it's still not able to change the situation entirely.

To get specific about the problems with the "read framebuffers to memory" option - part of the trouble is that the PSP GPU just draws directly to video memory. Modern graphics are drawn to a "surface" that has dimensions. So if I tell the GPU to draw, I need to first decide the width and height of the surface.

That's fine really, but the problem comes in when you download that to RAM. "Read framebuffers to memory" guessed that whatever random height we made up was a useful number, and deleted any RAM in that area. Sometimes, this was fine. Often, it was not - we might've created a 512x512 surface but the game was only drawing a tiny shadow and the VRAM/RAM later was important. At best, this would cause glitches and missing textures, and worst it would cause crashes.

The new strategy is to find the right places where games actually transfer memory. The benefit of this is that they give us a size - even if they are copying 1024 bytes, that gives us a safe number to work in to guess the width and height.

The majority of games use a memory copy or block transfer operation to do these transfers, but some games do little effects pixel-by-pixel (as I mentioned, games generally don't draw this way but some games use it for certain special effects.) In those cases, we've resorted to applying a hook that detects the special effect code and the size of the memory it's working on to apply the transfer.

It's a bit hacky, unfortunately, but it's really the only way to tie in the hardware usage. If you've got other ideas on ways to do it (that aren't just corrupting vast amounts of RAM willy-nilly), I'm definitely all ears. Of course, these hooks do nothing when using software rendering - that is more faithful and compatible, albeit slow.

Note again that even this block transfer comes at a cost, but so far we've been able to get better performance by doing the above too, since "read framebuffers to memory" really did transfers way too often, in addition to doing them at the wrong size.

A way you could help is to investigate the game using the debugger to try to find where and how it applies the effect. If we can find the function in the game that directly messes with the VRAM, and find somewhere in it we can detect the range it's modifying, we may be able to apply a hook. In this case, it'd probably be pretty game specific (and again, that's unfortunate) but it could be enough to make the game work in the hardware renderers.

-[Unknown]
03-18-2019, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-18-2019 03:21 PM by LunaMoo.)
(03-18-2019 09:46 AM)Rekrul Wrote:  My attitude comes from the way the person who gave me this information talked down to pretty much everyone in the thread. They give off a serious "If you're not using PPSSPP the way that I use it, you're using it wrong!" vibe in many of their posts.

Fun part is that it was you who jumped on bandwagon of people who were writing nonsense and couldn't read exact same info which [Unknown] posted here which I posted in that thread before being forced to defend my points against mindless mass of "we spam hard so we must be right even through we don't know a damn and write made up shit like it was facts to enforce our way" kind of mob.

Just to point two easy to miss points in this mob created confusion:
1) The game was never fixed by the awful hack which was removed, it merely allowed to show characters, while causing additional glitches and overall shitty graphics, it's not an acceptable solution to anyone who would really care about the game or had any nostalgia towards it.
2) Using older builds or even separate builds per game on weak hardware is common and very natural in emulation. Don't panic just because you are unable to use latest version of the software when you claim your game was perfectly playable with some shitty hack removed ages ago.(But again - it wasn't.)

Overall I'm a calm person, but I loose my temper easily around lazy ass people that victimize themselves to be seen as the rightful side, exactly why I stop caring about trying to solve the issue here despite having some ideas to start with and also why I don't care about opinions of people like Rekrul, through in opposite of him doing absolutely no real work despite claiming to "love" the project I did a lot by just liking PPSSPP which happened to include opening his issue(oh irony) on github, investigating it myself and providing self build with an option to tweak how mouse behaves when translated to buttons which has more issues than what he thought of.

I don't give any vibes about how one should use a software, I merely support unpopular decisions which has to be done and then I'm getting missunderstood by people using emotions and grudges instead of logic, warping whatever I say to some evil without even checking what I actually do. It's not like I care.
Either way another thread I'm off from.

Edit: Just to note as I don't remember if I wrote that anywhere or not, the game code consist of one huge ass function ~ likely recompiled game code from whatever the original console used and that makes the hack that [Unknown] mentioned pretty hardcore to do.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
03-20-2019, 02:05 AM
Ah, I see, one huge function makes it extremely tricky...

-[Unknown]
03-20-2019, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2019 05:53 AM by Rekrul.)
(03-18-2019 03:14 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Fun part is that it was you who jumped on bandwagon of people who were writing nonsense and couldn't read exact same info which [Unknown] posted here which I posted in that thread before being forced to defend my points against mindless mass of "we spam hard so we must be right even through we don't know a damn and write made up shit like it was facts to enforce our way" kind of mob.

1. You never once posted a single word saying that leaving the read to memory option in the code complicated the development of the rest of the emulator. You posted a couple of times that it didn't render the game correctly, which seemed to be your number one complaint about it, and that it could cause crashes when it was used, but you never offered any explanation whatsoever for why it had to be removed from the code, rather than just leaving it in and letting people take their chances with it. If I'm wrong about this, please point out exactly where in the thread you said anything to the effect of "The code for that hack caused problems in other parts of the emulator even when not enabled." Anyone else can jump in here as well to point this stuff out to me. The thread is here;

https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php...271&page=3

2. I posted a fairly mild criticism of your attitude as I perceived it and you called me an idiot. You also called the people who used the read to memory option to play Darkstalkers as being "desperate".

(03-18-2019 03:14 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Overall I'm a calm person, but I loose my temper easily around lazy ass people that victimize themselves to be seen as the rightful side, exactly why I stop caring about trying to solve the issue here despite having some ideas to start with and also why I don't care about opinions of people like Rekrul

When I posted about using the mouse to simulate the face button presses, you immediately took an adversarial tone;

Quote:...definitely wouldn't have fun trying to use mouse to simulating a press of 4 face buttons as that just sucks to anyone which actually is used to real PC shooters.

Quote:I never tested that and might not bother since I consider playing games with no analog support whatsoever with a mouse somewhere between complete lack of fun and masochism and I really only like using mouse when game is modded with boosted analog accuracy and real analog patch that supports full range of analog and removes acceleration

Quote:I totally not going to read a wall of text...

Is using a mouse to press the buttons as good as using as using a real analog patch? No. But it's better than just telling people "Sure using the buttons sucks, but if you don't like it, just don't play the game."

(03-18-2019 03:14 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  through in opposite of him doing absolutely no real work despite claiming to "love" the project I did a lot by just liking PPSSPP

So the fact that I never learned C++ proves that I don't really care about this emulator? Do you expect me to start pulling code changes out of thin air? Exactly how much time should I devote to learning C++ from absolute scratch and understanding the source code so that I can begin fixing problems that others have been working on for years in order to prove that I care?

(03-18-2019 03:14 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  which happened to include opening his issue(oh irony) on github, investigating it myself and providing self build with an option to tweak how mouse behaves when translated to buttons which has more issues than what he thought of.

And yet surprisingly other programs handle it OK. I know you'll probably instantly dismiss this, but have two routines, one for translating mouse movements into analog stick movements and one for translating mouse or analog stick movements into button presses. Presto, no more need to try and figure out how to adapt the analog translation routine to every situation. OK, I'm ready, tell me I'm an idiot and that I don't know what I'm talking about...
03-20-2019, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 04:05 PM by Dukatti.)
Rekrul, I am sorry, you are making more trouble then good.
Because you are placing people in stress and multiply hate. An instead they could make another awesome things, or enhance existing in their genius way.

And an instead if you love your ideas more - learn "modern programing" and let your ideas come true. Or at least leave a message/guide/workaround to_build/to_use older ppsspp version for Darksstalkers especially for players who will want it, and who will seek. To show your love [care] for a whole ppsspp project. [if you will want to]

[right now it seems more like you enjoy your state of "I know nothing about modern programing" and you like to hate others because you blindly believe that under f*cking pressure "hands" are working better.

[and when you prefer [Unknown] messages over LunaMoo - it might be because of some amount of information that [Unknown] already knows and can create an effect while LunaMoo and many others will learn after time. When I am typing this message I hope it will be you who will learn]

In the existing world there is already too much people with damaged brains from alcohol, smoking and drugs in a state that impossible to fix.

Henrik, [Unknown], LunaMoo, onelight and other major contributors can post whatever they like to. It's their site and their amazing ppsspp program. If it helps to make their amazing magic better - then let here be everything they want to. [because everything they do is safe for a planet and for humanity, and even more - they hardly helping educating people around.]

There is no need to place everything occurring in a head in the forum message. An instead - write\type structured notes [similar to diary. Boosted with the force of class\structure\names\functions\modules object-oriented programming concept\philosophy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-ori...rogramming ]. Then, after time, if you did like your ideas - rewrite. And finally share it [post a message] with the most effective words that you can produce. [For a what? What effect have you tried to achieve? What a world line you've tried to move in? What have you already tried? What else can be applied? Are tries of achieving this effect worth a time? A life? A seconds, dying one after another before a death end?]

Then, learn to_use\to_live_with:
1. Love
2. Gratitude
3. Joy/Gladness
4. Passion
5. Foretaste
6. Hope
7. Satisfaction

With avoiding of:
1. Bore
[on a random occur within thoughts -> ask & answer - do I love what I am doing? What kind of excitement I am missing? How to bring excitement, how to fix this?]

2. Disappointment
[-> Do I want to be sad? Or do I have another way to try?]

3. Anxiety
[-> Is there any thing with the help of what I can make everything better? Do I want to make things causing anxiety better? Or have I already made everything in a wonderful away?]

4. Blame
[-> if you see how to be a better person - be by yourself. Share to make a world better]

5. Anger\to_be_out_of_temper
[-> use it's energy to make wonderful, really helping things faster to eliminate future possibilities of this kind of danger]

6. Revengefulness
[instead of making ugly monster of yourself stronger
save a beauty of a_soul/a_man/a_mind/a_character and use energy of bitter/drama to make more wonderful things that will revert/fix things and will gather everyone in peace]

7. Hate
[an instead make pleasure/satisfaction/be_happy of first 7 positive emotions]

8. Resentment
[instead of dying from feeling it, grow with feeling of first 7 emotions]

9. Guilt
[again, instead of dying from it - fix things. Fix or Born\Develop\Make new. ]

10. Depression
[instead of finding terrible things in the world - focus on to finding amazing and lovely]

11. Fear
[instead of shutting your eyes or escaping - apply a fix, or a temporal fix, or have a way to become stronger, or become stronger then objects of fear]

And then free yourself of words "no", "no-", "not", "don't", "didn't", "but".
If you know what you want - you will find a way to say with another better definitive words. Because it's always like "I don't want to do this!" - an instead - "I want to do *another_name_of_thing* first, then *new_name_of_thing* second, and so on… because of… "

Then free of "need", "owe",
[everyone's happiness, wishes and overall peace is more important]

Then - "truth" and "lie"
[because every fact in the world can be written as positive, as negative and as ignored just to the tastes or the purposes of a watcher. An instead if there is a version that you like more and you see that whole world will become better from it - spread it].
Remember what you want, and at the same time what a world you would like to see for a country, for a society, for a planet, for a whole universe.

Then - free of jokes, of making_dumb_fun_of_yourself_and_of_others.
[Because jokes are built from hate. "*Create_a_clever*. I am clever. *Create_a_dumb*. He is dumb. A reason? *text_of_joke*". Or "*Create_a_dumb*.Old version of myself was dumb. *Create_a_clever*. Now I am clever. A reason? *text_of_joke_2*"]
[same is for creating funny_looking_pictures. Because they are forcing people's minds to laugh about how foolish creatures look. And how clever in comparison they are.]
An instead if a notification of ugliness came to your head - revert it and save to a clear knowledge of better attitude, better man in theory, enhanced world, and whole world rules as well.

And the last one - is from "The life of Guskou Budori" about of living with hands spread wide, with friends all over the planet, with care and every one's hard effort for a peaceful world for others.

It seems like I'm taking away jokes, holy anger and all the heroes.
[But it''s not.] These words are freeing from hate. A person joy and laugh when he see\hear\feel cute things or his beloved ones. When he see finally results on which he was aimed to. When he see new things, learn new things, make what other people will call a magic, or how much he enhanced\changed world, or how much people are grateful. He defends, grows and find a place for what he loves [instead of killing other's]

(03-20-2019 05:18 AM)Rekrul Wrote:  … Do you expect me to start pulling code changes out of thin air? Exactly how much time should I devote to learning C++ from absolute scratch and understanding the source code so that I can begin fixing problems that others have been working on for years in order to prove that I care? …
For an example here you are damaging with the hate and create a fool from a person. Please know - there is a difference between "How to start learning C++?" and "Do you expect me … out of thin air?" . It's always about what you want. Do you want to stay with your current work? Or do you want to work on psp emulation, VM programing, or ppsspp emulator? If you want to stay with your existing work, then how can you help with emulation of your favorite game? How much fast you want to force things? Is a world with forced ppsspp progress better?

As for self-learning [with google, books, articles, etc. information forms] remember to name, to define, to make conclusions with yours definition of every thing [(!) with related predefined purposes]. For an example to become free of repeating "Flash in the dark clouds", humanity named combination of similar words\facts in one title "Lighting Bolt". After naming of that they proceed with classification for 1) usage 2) treating 3) prediction 4) invent_yours_new_purpose_here. With these definitions try your best to lessen words [keep effective words only] as much as possible.

*named_essence_of_a_subject* + *adjectives_differences_of_a_subject_in_a_parent_group*

Lighting bolt:
- an electrostatic discharge
in the nature
between clouds and ground [mostly]

Electrostatic discharge:
- flow [sudden]
of electricity
between two objects [electrically charged]
caused by:
1) Contact
2) Short [electrical]
3) Breakdown [dielectric]

Electricity:
- Matter with electric charge properties
with it's set of physical phenomena associated with the:
1. Presence
2. Motion

And as for Darkstalkers - a game is very much acceptable with ps1, dreamcast, ps2, mame emulators. While using an old Street Fighter engine a game has unique visuals for both of characters and stages designs. IMHO it might be better to force people to seek and learn to use different emulators for different games. [at least to a time of writing this post]. Because with this players would have greater chance to also find Red Earth [War-Zard] which feels a lot like a chapter/spin-off in a Darkstalkers series.
03-21-2019, 03:50 AM
(03-20-2019 08:55 PM)Dukatti Wrote:  For an example here you are damaging with the hate and create a fool from a person. Please know - there is a difference between "How to start learning C++?" and "Do you expect me … out of thin air?" . It's always about what you want. Do you want to stay with you current work? Or do you want to work on psp emulation, VM programing, or ppsspp emulator?

I "learned" BASIC and Assembly on the C64, but I never had much talent for programming. Things that were easy for others were beyond me. Learning C++ from scratch as well as how to program for Windows isn't something someone picks up in a weekend. And even if I devoted the time to learning all of that, what makes anyone think that I'd be any better at it than I was at trying to write software for the C64, which was MUCH simpler than any system today?

To put this in perspective; Imagine someone suggesting that you learn how to port the game Star Wars: Rogue Leader from the Gamecude to the Playstation 2, making the game 100% playable and without using any kind of emulation. How long do you think that would take you? Could you do that?
03-21-2019, 05:19 PM
okay, let be some more few examples. Though I want to_leave/to_keep only a first post, cause it should be enough to learn/understand/have_a_start

It seems like:
1. You studied BASIC
2. You want to study C++ in more then two days
3. You want to program for Windows
4. You have an experience of writing software for C64
5. You have a possibility to create a time for learning programming for *N_period_of_time*
6. You want ps2 version of Star Wars:Rogue Leader

1. You want to do things only if you are the first man, and the only one experienced.
2. There are things that you love more then programming.

I write "it seems like" because there is greater possibility that it's a first time when you are thinking of what you exactly want to do with your life. What a perfect world, or society you want to create, or to live with. Or what part of a world can you fit into rules. Or what you want to create/leave_behind, what kind of you will live after a death. Or what to name a death in that case? Or better to say what to define a life? [and then a death]
[I am very sure you want another then I wrote amazing things, at least written in the other, better, yours different way]

Delete all the negative in your last message [you are focusing on ugliness and attracted by failures too much]. And an instead - determine what you love [keep it in secret, share with harvest], use my first post to overcome circumstances and invent all yours more wonderful things.
Quote:I "learned" BASIC and Assembly on the C64, but I never had much talent for programming.
What is a talent? How to get a talent?
At the time of learning did you want to know BASIC, Assembly to make your programs? Or did you want to study because everyone around were studied? Maybe at the moment of studying you wanted something else first more? If you love to make programs, then you will eventually pass a point, when it's only you who know technology and only you can make a magic, a point when you will realise to share to make further progress.
Quote:Things that were easy for others were beyond me. Learning C++ from scratch as well as how to program for Windows isn't something someone picks up in a weekend. And even if I devoted the time to learning all of that, what makes anyone think that I'd be any better at it than I was at trying to write software for the C64, which was MUCH simpler than any system today?
Why things for others seems easier? What an effort, construction\tale are behind them? How to make studying easier?
What a one man's life worth? How much years until death remained? What a person want to_try\to_accomplish before? Is it all that he wants? What kind of world he would leave behind?

Love what you do. If you love something else - then do this. And let others love what they want to. When I am cleaning kitchen it means that I love to make my completely another different work [and that is why I want to clear kitchen as fast as I can to return to my favorite work] while resting/charging/boosting from food/sunlight in clean beautiful well-smelling kitchen, where friends/relatives can enjoy/rest/charge/boost to return to their work, that they love too.

[And now I am posting this because of "cleaning" too. To be better said - because I want see a world more_lovely/more_effective, so that more people would make more awesome things, and we all would do what we love more] [it's like selecting between three [actually more, invent yours] worlds. Where one is where you know a lot [with avoiding of sharing]. Situation, when you can produce things that one most skillful man is capable to. Another one - is where you share with optimal periodical[or else] calculated times, so that you would be capable to gather in team to produce a much greater thing multiplied on man count [something similar to asynchronous multi-threaded programming]. And the third one - is when you are sharing in the second way, plus people are sharing and enhancing world on their own too]
Quote:To put this in perspective; Imagine someone suggesting that you learn how to port the game Star Wars: Rogue Leader from the Gamecude to the Playstation 2, making the game 100% playable and without using any kind of emulation. How long do you think that would take you? Could you do that?
this question is fitting into one man's wishes and world that he creating by them around too. Between 2001-2003 there were great variety of different Star Wars games. There is a great chance that there existed a question "What is better? To work next year, fixing incoming things because of engines differences, day by day, to port a game to ps2 that is already exist, played and reviewed on gamecube? Or to work 1, 1.5, 2 years to bring a new game with something new/innovative/a_little_more_refreshing, and by the way challenge their self and to study in advance, and to leave porting, remakes for a saving buoy role?"

I actually like your suggestion) Before UE4 and Unity existence I would definitely participate in such interesting experience. After time I definitely realised a way to speed up things with a means of team. And tried my best to engage it's optimal amount. Now [for me] it's more interesting to port older games to a modern engines which are advanced and well-documented to see what can be enhanced/advanced in engines their selves. And also for now, I strongly want to accomplish my work before learning all of this. Because I see how world around would become greater once I'm done it.
[I hope you will like to read for example this -> https://www.quora.com/How-possible-is-it...ssful-game and this https://www.quora.com/Is-it-possible-for...-for-Speed ]

It's always okay to_try/to_learn whole world picture. If there was a way in the past to learn these things [along with fixing a hate, and prioritising life, love & peace over anything else] before learning mass-weapons, maybe we would avoid wars, deaths disasters.