Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PS3 Port?
01-11-2019, 05:15 AM
PS3 Port?
Hey, are you guys going to work on a PS3 Port? I think this would be amazing because PSP emulation support is limited. Also I can test it for you guys if you need someone to test it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-2019, 06:26 AM
RE: PS3 Port?
Has anyone have it working on the PS3 yet??
03-29-2019, 06:19 PM
As it's said on PPSSPP's official development page, it's possible but unlikely to happen. Recently they managed to get a way to hack the PS3 and still keep the OFW, this makes possible to install PKGs, including some PS2 games converted to "PS2 Classics" to run through the native emulator. I tested it myself (have some PS2 backups) and it's working well. This new method can be a door for a PPSSPP port, if someone is interested.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
03-31-2019, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2019 06:00 AM by o.g._m.a.k..)
OK, I was only wondering because the game I want to play isn't compatible being Medal of Honor: Heroes. And I have a jailbroken PS3 so installing pkgs isn't an issue.

That's the only reason I'd be relying on this port because it's not compatible with the native emulator.
04-04-2019, 07:06 AM
This would be interesting to me as well. Also I think they recently found out how to convert any (or almost any) PS from OFW to CFW so there are lot more potential users to this.

Would any of the developers care to explain what needs to be ported to get this off? I was looking for some porting guide but couldn't find one.
04-08-2019, 10:44 PM
A PS3 port has several challenges. I should note that several of these challenges are shared by a potential port to the Wii U, which someone put some time into about a year ago. However, I believe they haven't continued since then.

That effort is here:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/11001

Some of the challenges:

1. The PS3 is big endian, while the PSP is small endian (so is the Wii U.)

2. The PS3 uses PowerPC, which there's no jit for currently (the Wii U also uses PowerPC.)

3. AFAIU, OpenGL support on PS3s is quite slow. It might require a new graphics backend for good performance (Wii U also had this problem, but a separate graphics API than PS3.)

4. The PS3 only has 256 MB of RAM, which may be a tight budget for PPSSPP. Certain features definitely won't work. It's possible that even save states may not work (since they require temporarily duplicating out some PSP data and therefore a spike in memory usage.)

For most ports (i.e. devices running on ARM), there's really only a thin layer of code needed that interfaces with the operating system. For example, you can see the Android or iOS specific code. That would be the first step in order to get a (very slow) initial concept running using interpreter for the CPU and OpenGL for graphics, but it would at least require dealing with big endian support.

-[Unknown]
04-09-2019, 06:27 AM
(04-08-2019 10:44 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  A PS3 port has several challenges. I should note that several of these challenges are shared by a potential port to the Wii U, which someone put some time into about a year ago. However, I believe they haven't continued since then.

That effort is here:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/pull/11001

Some of the challenges:

1. The PS3 is big endian, while the PSP is small endian (so is the Wii U.)

2. The PS3 uses PowerPC, which there's no jit for currently (the Wii U also uses PowerPC.)

3. AFAIU, OpenGL support on PS3s is quite slow. It might require a new graphics backend for good performance (Wii U also had this problem, but a separate graphics API than PS3.)

4. The PS3 only has 256 MB of RAM, which may be a tight budget for PPSSPP. Certain features definitely won't work. It's possible that even save states may not work (since they require temporarily duplicating out some PSP data and therefore a spike in memory usage.)

For most ports (i.e. devices running on ARM), there's really only a thin layer of code needed that interfaces with the operating system. For example, you can see the Android or iOS specific code. That would be the first step in order to get a (very slow) initial concept running using interpreter for the CPU and OpenGL for graphics, but it would at least require dealing with big endian support.

-[Unknown]

Thanx for the summary. Let me maybe ask some additional questions as I have done some programming in the past (assembler, Pascal, C but mostly Java):

1. Endianess. Am I right that this is of concern when switching (transitioning) from emulated PSP to native (emulator) functions and vice versa? Doing this only involves switching byte order on some parameters which should be pretty easy/fast.

2. I was looking at the sources trying to find how JIT is implemented. Is it in Core/MIPS/<arch>? Not really understanding it much. Is the JIT code based on some common framework I could read about to better understand it?

3. The link you posted discusses (I guess) more performance oriented goals. My guess would be that it should be enough to emulate capabilities of HW of few generations back. Do performance issues (on Windows / Linux / Android) arise from weaker graphics specs or other parts cause this?

4. If there are limits than we will have to live with them :-)

Are the platform specific interfaces in Windows, Android, ios directories? Where would I find Linux? Where do I find MIPS interpreter?

Thanx again for information.
04-10-2019, 03:53 AM
1. No, it's definitely more complicated than that.

Imagine the PSP's memory as a grid or checkerboard, and pointers as grid coordinates. A 32-bit value sits as grid position (1, 1) and ends at (4, 1), right? Endianess describes which direction I write the digits - to simplify, if my number is 2,468 then big endian has me write it "2 4 6 8" and little endian has me write "8 6 4 2".

The trouble is that then, I could later look at the value /specifically/ at (2, 1) - the second digit. You might say "that's wrong" or "don't do that" but PSP games didn't follow those rules; their developers had a guarantee that the software they wrote would ALWAYS run on a little endian device. No reason not to cheat a little to get to 60 FPS when it's a sure thing.

Games definitely do this, and it's imperative that in my example, a read at (2, 1) gives you "6" and not "4". This means that every possible operation that could touch memory - from jit or interpreted memory access, to HLE operations such as video and audio decoding - must be translated to little endian. This affects GPU emulation, HLE operations, everything. Anything that interacts with RAM.

Parameters/arguments are actually the one thing that is safe. In assembly, when a function is called most of the arguments are stored in registers, which don't have an endianess (well, except SIMD registers.) So you don't need to convert these, it only really matters when you interact with memory.

The real problem here is that you can end up with a tiny bug somewhere - a place where endianess was missed - and it can take a ton of time to debug and figure out why the game won't even boot and goes haywire.

2. If you look at the pull request I linked, it does add a somewhat functional (I don't know to what degree) PowerPC jit. It may use instructions not present on the PS3, but it's probably fine. That said, jit in PPSSPP basically has a few components:

* An emitter, which is basically an assembler. This writes host instructions (in this case, PowerPC) to RAM. For example, it might expose a member function ADDI(R0, R0, 123) which writes the PowerPC addi instruction and advances the code pointer. Typically, these are in Common/ because many of them originally came from Dolphin.

* A main jit class, which handles the translation of MIPS code to PowerPC code. For example, MIPS has a maddu instruction which takes two 32 bit integer registers, multiplies them, and then adds the result to a pair of 32 bit integer registers treated as a 64 bit register. This would probably translate to multiple PowerPC instructions. DISABLE makes it flush everything and go back to the interpreter for this instruction (which is what the current Wii U implementation does for maddu.)

* Two register cache classes, one for integer and the other for float regs, which coordinate the possible guest registers (MIPS has 32 integer, and 160 float) and where they currently "live" (either in a host register or in host RAM and need to be loaded.) This is used by the main jit methods to manage mapping them to host registers for the actual PowerPC instructions. PowerPC uses 32 integer / 32 float, but some integer registers are certainly reserved by the OS and can't be used.

When I initially started messing with PPSSPP's jit, I already knew Intel assembly, but I had to use a lot of MIPS reference material. You'll likely want to reference MIPS and PowerPC instruction set documentation. I will say: MIPS is a fairly clean instruction set, I really like it. The PSP has a bunch of extra instructions that aren't so beautiful, but core MIPS has a fairly clean encoding.

Beware of delay slots, they will confuse you at first. In MIPS, a branch of jump instruction does not change the code position immediately. It still executes the very next instruction, and then jumps after that. The jit class takes care of reordering this to not use any delay slot.

3. It's probably dangerous to assume that. If going based on age, the PS3 was released in 2006, only one year after the PSP was. They are both old devices at this point.

Ignoring CPU emulation (which should hopefully be fine with a jit, but will only be able to use the primary 3.2 Ghz POWER core of the PS3), GPU emulation is typically the bottleneck for emulating the PSP. On older PCs from 2006 or so, people often have to turn on graphics hacks that draw things wrong (and make effects look bad) for playable speed.

It's important to understand that the PSP's GPU has a lot of quirks. For example, it stores stencil in the alpha component (which requires a lot of workarounds to have graphics work right), and allows a lot of direct access to VRAM, palette look ups, and a lot of other things.

Even more importantly, the cost of drawing a small batch of prims thousands of times per frame was not too high, so games did it. However, OpenGL even on desktop (and especially on mobile) has a lot of overhead per draw, and is brought to its knees by such lazy drawing. We do a lot of work (which consumes CPU) to try to combine draws, although we can't always.

Point is, if the PS3's OpenGL implementation is known to be "slow" it could easily be the bottleneck.

On mobile phones, the arm64 jit does a great job, but terrible drivers are a huge problem. They consume a lot of CPU themselves, have lots of overhead per draw, etc. It helped a lot when we rearchitected things so the OpenGL driver calls all happen on a separate thread (ultimately, a separate arm64 core.) The PS3 probably won't have this luxury, as I doubt you can call OpenGL from the SPUs.

On that note, from a raw power perspective, I'm guessing the SPUs (where all those GFLOPS come from) won't be of much use to PPSSPP. Maybe they could be used for audio decoding or some graphics post-processing. Most of that raw power will likely go unused.

Linux (and Mac) both use SDL or Qt. Windows is a bit of a special case because there's a lot of Windows-specific debugging UI and code. There's also now a cross-platform web debugger which would be more appropriate for PS3 usage (potentially to debug jit issues, etc.)

The interpreter is in Core/MIPS/, mainly in MIPSInt.cpp and MIPSIntVFPU.cpp. There's also an IR Interpreter, which uses some of the jit framework. This translates MIPS code into an intermediate representation (IR) of bytecode, and then interprets the IR.

The long term goal of that was to create jit backends to do MIPS -> IR -> arm64, etc. That said, with GPU emulation as the biggest bottleneck, this hasn't been completed or gotten a lot of attention recently. To some degree, it was added as a faster option than interpreter for platforms that can't handle jit. Recent iPhones can actually run quite a few games full speed with IR Interpreter, although again that's because CPU emulation isn't the biggest bottleneck.

-[Unknown]