Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP Screen Tearing help Request
01-04-2019, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2019 04:05 AM by GenericUsername.)
Sad PPSSPP Screen Tearing help Request
Greetings all, I'm relatively new to the emulating scene and completely new to PPSSPP (as well as forums also). I've gotten everything set to my liking however there are a couple problems I have run into.

1. Periodic pauses in emulation when using OpenGL and D3D9.

2.terrible screen tearing when using D3D11.

My system specs are a Lenovo 330S-15ARR laptop with:
AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.00GHz
8.00 GB Ram
Windows 10 64-bit

VSync is ON but obviously ineffective.

D3D11 seems to perform best and display everything properly so if anyone could help me figure out how to simply fix the screen tearing that would be appreciated.

I'm open to any help however.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Ok so by using Direct3D Overrider I've managed to fix the screen tearing on the 32-Bit version of PPSSPP! It definitely slows down some games like Wipeout Pulse as one might expect.
I am currently trying to fix an issue with Final Fantasy 1's world map (graphical glitches regarding the water) but I will make a separate thread about that if I can't find one.

Feel free to still leave suggestions and comments. I will check back on this topic periodically.

Thank you in advance again!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2019, 11:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2019 11:42 AM by Abbanon.)
RE: PPSSPP Screen Tearing help Request
VSync being ON might be what's causing the issue with screen tearing.
At least that's how it was in my case. Setting VSync to OFF fixed it for me.

EDIT:
Also, maybe your rendering resolution has an impact as well?
I run at 3x, since my computer can't smoothly run 4x or higher.

Come and join the official PPSSPP Discord server:
https://discord.gg/5NJB6dD
01-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Moved.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
01-07-2019, 10:45 PM
(01-07-2019 11:41 AM)Abbanon Wrote:  VSync being ON might be what's causing the issue with screen tearing.
At least that's how it was in my case. Setting VSync to OFF fixed it for me.

EDIT:
Also, maybe your rendering resolution has an impact as well?
I run at 3x, since my computer can't smoothly run 4x or higher.

Thanks but toggling VSync didn't seem to work. I've tried running the emulator at several different resolutions (I play it on 4x) but that didn't seem to change anything either.

Thank dog for D3DOverride!Tongue
01-09-2019, 12:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2019 05:28 AM by Dukatti.)
edited a post because of amount of arguments that may cause pausing/stuttering. Added solutions keeping in mind that you will stay on laptop at any cost.

0. Everything new that you will meet in a game [objects, effects] for a first time will stutter for a bit of second.
[beginning from ppsspp as less demanding and most optimised and above - dolphin, citra, pcsx2, cemu etc.]

1. Check weather desktop composition is turned on or off. Leave it turned on to fix tearing.

2. Find nvidiainspector alternative for AMD. [RadeonPro?]
In settings of it [and also in native AMD] free everything of filtering and antialiasing [change it back to desired only after you get rid of both - stuttering and tearing] [uncheck smooth edges of screen fonts in System Properties too]
Change every setting to a higher performance [except gpu power. If you will change it, then make sure to monitor your temperatures both of cpu and gpu under any new demanding game\program\emulator to make sure that everything is safe]
avoid buffering, vsync optimisations and pre-rendered frames. Use old method of vsync that frequently described with an input lag. [on a laptop I did play a lot in the past with it - in fighting and racing games. With proper settings of everything else it will be lag-free]
And finally test with your special hardware combination - different framelimiter settings + emulator. Depending on system, on monitor/display type and refresh rate you will get smoother results with unlimited framelimiter, or with locked to a 60, to a 59,9, to a 61, or to a 68, or with your special value. [after that try also to test with different framelimiter settings of ppsspp and use ~ key every run]

3. Try to play with another resolution. Change it through Display Adapter Properties and not with standard windows dialog. Keep in mind that there are ways to create any resolution you want beyond your screen maximum native resolution.

4. Try another system. Windows 7 and Windows 10 are showing different performance results.

5. Overclock your monitor with higher refresh rate. It will load your laptop more and might get higher compilation times in exchange of extra smoothness, stutter, tearing and lag free gameplay.
With a highest possible refresh rate there is also a nice barely visible scanline screen effect [at least for ips, it's screen that is making it, you will not be able to record it. In that case scanlines, crt shaders are better to show other people what you see]. To avoid flickering it will require slightly higher or lower color temperature [with Windows NightLight Settings only lower. f.lux will allow higher. The latest fast-working version that I remember is 4.78, after that they changed something and it flicker with blue on pop-up menus. Hope they fixed it recently]

p.s. there are limitations that are over this settings and are over your hardware. By saying this I mean that I met cases [native windows games] when it uses more then 4Gb of ram, runs fine and smooth at 60 fps with 165Hz refresh rate without vsync with everything precompiled, with ultra graphics - and it stutters for a bit of second every 5 or 10 seconds. Why? Probably because there is 3 RAM sticks of 4GB, and a whole process goes over 4GB. Or very likely because whole stage can't be kept in VRAM - because it's only 1,5GB.

And another case - is when a game uses a low amount of RAM and already uses all the hardware performance. And it's already the best that it can do. In that case it will stutter and skip frames.

And finally - there are external desktop monitors with another types of matrix, with different characteristics. For a good example - I've never tested g-sync and freesync. Neither external ips monitor or mva. All that I know right now - is that even very old and slightly broken crt monitor will show colors with deeper gamma, with more hues, free of color-banding, with built-in filtering and smoothness, lag-free, with better to eyes objects movement, then [almost?] all new laptops coming with ips or tft.
However, tft and ips are 1000 times greater for text and for a work, for a great amount of opened windows on high resolution, for a great amount of sharp simultaneous viewports.