Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Default button assignment question
12-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Default button assignment question
This isn't a complaint, just something I'm curious about.

When you test out a new version of PPSSPP and it comes up with the default settings, the buttons are mapped as follows, going clockwise, starting from the 12 O'clock position;

Code:
Triangle = Button 1
Circle   = Button 3
Cross    = Button 2
Square   = Button 4

Yet on every controller I've seen, the buttons are numbered in order starting at the 12 O'clock position and going clockwise. Meaning that they're numbered like this;

Code:
.   1
.4     2
.   3

This causes the Cross button to be mapped to the 3 O'clock position and the Circle button to be mapped to the 6 O'clock position, which doesn't match the layout of any real PSP.

It's easy enough to remap these two controls, I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason the defaults were mapped this way?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2018, 09:26 PM
RE: Default button assignment question
Curious what type of gamepad you're using.

With my xinput controllers the buttons map correctly. It's also correct for my generic eBay PS2 -> USB adapter.
12-10-2018, 10:04 PM
(12-10-2018 09:26 PM)SuperOstrich Wrote:  Curious what type of gamepad you're using.

With my xinput controllers the buttons map correctly. It's also correct for my generic eBay PS2 -> USB adapter.

I typically use a real PS2 Dual Shock controller connected through a Super Joybox 5 Pro adapter. I also have one of those super-cheap Dual Shock ripoffs, (the ones that look like the real thing, but have numbers instead of symbols on the buttons) and that registers the same way. I also have a couple old, no-name gamepads (they literally have no identifying marks on them) and they also register the same way.

To be fair, I have a Gravis Eliminator gamepad and those buttons are numbered going counter-clockwise starting at the 9 O'clock position.
12-10-2018, 10:46 PM
One of the unfortunate realities of directinput gamepads is that none of them had a standard configuration. Great for specalized hardware like flight controls, and steering wheels, not so great for gamepads.
12-11-2018, 10:41 AM
(12-10-2018 10:46 PM)SuperOstrich Wrote:  One of the unfortunate realities of directinput gamepads is that none of them had a standard configuration. Great for specalized hardware like flight controls, and steering wheels, not so great for gamepads.

My adapter and the DS2 ripoff also have the Select and Start buttons numbered backwards. Select is button 10, while Start is button 9.

It just seemed like having the left buttons numbered in order going clockwise (or in the case of the Eliminator, counter-clockwise) would be more common.
12-13-2018, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 03:49 PM by qwer4321.)
Triangle, rectangle, Clockwise, counerclockwise, 1234, from what point start counting, etc.

I think it's problem of the naming.
If in year 1994 - all this triangle/rectangle will be named as right D-pad (button-pad) up;down;left; right - it will not be so messed.

Technically all this buttons are just D-pad, with slightly different style.
12-13-2018, 05:47 PM
(12-13-2018 03:23 PM)qwer4321 Wrote:  Triangle, rectangle, Clockwise, counerclockwise, 1234, from what point start counting, etc.

I think it's problem of the naming.
If in year 1994 - all this triangle/rectangle will be named as right D-pad (button-pad) up;down;left; right - it will not be so messed.

Technically all this buttons are just D-pad, with slightly different style.
I understand what you're saying. I'm going by what order the buttons are detected by the software. It just seems strange to assign the buttons in the order of;

Code:
.   1
.4     3
.   2
12-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Another part is regional/localization problem.
Most Japan PSP games use O as confirmation button.
Most English games use X.
12-13-2018, 10:13 PM
(12-13-2018 07:53 PM)qwer4321 Wrote:  Another part is regional/localization problem.
Most Japan PSP games use O as confirmation button.
Most English games use X.

Yes, but even in Japan, the buttons are physically located in the same places.
12-13-2018, 11:24 PM
According to Steam's stats, the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers dominate the gamepad market for PC gamers; and by default PPSSPP hands xinput pads with the correct layout.

There is no real way to plan for directinput pads since they don't have a uniform layout.
12-14-2018, 03:29 AM
(12-13-2018 11:24 PM)SuperOstrich Wrote:  There is no real way to plan for directinput pads since they don't have a uniform layout.

This. Some DirectInput pads have analogs, some don't. Some have the equivalent to A/B/X/Y (or four face buttons), and some don't.

An example of unorthodox DirectInput peripherals would be stuff like flight sticks, driving wheels, some fighting pads, even old console controllers like Gamecube, Genesis, NES/SNES, N64, etc.
A lot of those wouldn't have the amount of buttons that normal Xinput would require, so they're Dinput by default, or forced to be Dinput using software, or have their own exclusive software entirely.

Come and join the official PPSSPP Discord server:
https://discord.gg/5NJB6dD
12-15-2018, 05:52 AM
(12-13-2018 10:13 PM)Rekrul Wrote:  Yes, but even in Japan, the buttons are physically located in the same places.

For same action you must use different buttons (X and O) - so it is still confusing.