Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AVI Dump (Video) problem
07-30-2018, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2018 05:37 AM by Nyukot.)
AVI Dump (Video) problem
Hi. I have a problem with AVI dumping in PPSSPP 1.6.3
The video I receive is choppy. I watched it frame by frame and it appears that frame order is messed up.
For example, Dissidia 012 - Duodecim USA (29,97fps). So lets say we have smooth gameplay and let's number the frames: 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. I use AVI dump in PPSSPP and get the video 59,94fps. It would be ok if frames duplicate next ones, i mean frame order 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4 would be ok. But I get something like 1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5 order. Thats the problem.
Now, the details.
1) Even the order 1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5 would be ok - I can delete every second frame so i'll get smooth 29,97fps video. But that order isn't perfect, sometimes there is a mess also, and even if I delete every second frame I get choppy moments sometimes (and it is noticeable - Jeanne D'Arc is a big mess, I think this game has dynamic fps - some scenes are 15fps, some 30fps). I get something like that: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,12,10,11,12,13,14,14,15...
2) I tried 60fps patch for Dissidia 012 - Duodecim. Now AVI dump feature gives me almost non-choppy 59,94fps AVI, but! there are choppy moments sometimes anyway (just like in the 1) example).
Strange i couldn't find any reports of this problem. Is it only me? If it is, then help me please, where is a problem?

I use Windows 7, 32bit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-31-2018, 10:48 PM
RE: AVI Dump (Video) problem
You couldn't find reports of the problem because nobody really cares about this feature(for a long time it was completely unusable to begin with due to huge memory leak, poor way of dumping audio and having zero love in general).

If you want for something to change please login to your github account(make if you don't have one, it's free) and create new issue in ppsspp's official issue tracker writing all the details you can including steps to reproduce the problem or even an easy to follow example if necessary.

After that just wait for something with programming knowledge to find interest in fixing your issue which might take hours if your lucky or years if you aren't.
Take note that low priority issues which are bumped or otherwise spammed usually end up being ignored by everyone except other spammers, so quickest way to get actual help is to provide as much information as you can and then just patiently wait.

You could also try to fix the issue by yourself, PPSSPP is open source software and pull requests are welcome. Sometimes even hardcore problems are pretty trivial to fix and exist purely because nobody has time to deal with xxx issues with more being opened daily which has a tendency to rise even more due to multi platform support and third party projects that dump their issues on main project.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
08-01-2018, 12:48 AM
Does it depend on graphics backend? For example, on Direct3D 11, or OpenGL, do you get this same behavior?

-[Unknown]
08-02-2018, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 05:08 PM by Nyukot.)
(08-01-2018 12:48 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Does it depend on graphics backend? For example, on Direct3D 11, or OpenGL, do you get this same behavior?

-[Unknown]
Checked Direct3d 9, 11, OpenGL - the same exactly.
One more interesting thing. Tried to avi dump Lunar Silver Star Harmony - even worse - In battles - There are no characters, no menus, and screen got black flashes. That little dragon thing is almost always visible (but disappears sometimes too)

In towns almost everything is ok, some black flashes, and big problem in starting village Burg - everything is black (except water) in captured video:

And glitches occur when I open a chest in the game, or when going between locations - then everything is gone except background:

In Crimson Gem Saga better than in Lunar, but characters and menus (HUD) sometimes disappear for a few seconds.

And in those 2D games (Lunar, Crimson) there is no that glitch with messed frame order i was talking about in my first post like in Dissidia or Jeanne D'Arc. Crimson Gem Saga has 29,97fps, its video is 59,94fps and doubled frames (1,1,2,2,3,3 etc.) as it should be.
P.S. To be clear, the problems occur only in videos. During avi dumping i have no glitches in a game process.