Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PPSSPP's .zim files
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 10:42 AM by JumperTwo.)
PPSSPP's .zim files
i just wanted to take a look inside,but seems like i can't open them with Kiwix (on Windows), am i missing something? out of curiosity, why don't use a "normal" zip/rar format?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 10:58 AM by Henrik.)
RE: PPSSPP's .zim files
ZIM is just optionally-zlib-compressed raw images, with mipmap support and a few flags that are useful for textures. ui_atlas.zim is just one big image (an "atlas texture") that contains all the imagery and the UI font.

The code to read and write ZIM files can be found in native/image.

I created this stuff for my own simple game engine which also links to native.

You can build your own .zim files using native/tools/atlastool and native/tools/zimtool. I haven't made a build setup for those public but it's not exactly hard.
04-08-2013, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2013 11:31 AM by livisor.)
What about .prx files?I had a homebrew game on my sd card which contained lots of folders, an .eboot and two .prx files.One of the .prx showed an image of a korean girl when opened with ppsspp.
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
.prx files are PSP executables. an EBOOT.BIN in a regular UMD is just a renamed PRX.
04-08-2013, 10:16 PM
prx = Sony ELF
04-09-2013, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 04:59 AM by JumperTwo.)
(04-08-2013 10:58 AM)Henrik Wrote:  ZIM is just optionally-zlib-compressed raw images, with mipmap support and a few flags that are useful for textures. ui_atlas.zim is just one big image (an "atlas texture") that contains all the imagery and the UI font.

The code to read and write ZIM files can be found in native/image.

I created this stuff for my own simple game engine which also links to native.

You can build your own .zim files using native/tools/atlastool and native/tools/zimtool. I haven't made a build setup for those public but it's not exactly hard.

this is what i was looking for! thanks : )
04-09-2013, 07:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 07:46 AM by Henrik.)
BTW ZIM files ("Z-IMage", also named in honor of Invader Zim of course) were originally always zlib-compressed but on Android you put your assets in a zip file (the .APK is just a zip file) anyway, so this led to double compression, so I turned it off. Could and probably should turn zlib compression back on on non-android platforms though, but too lazy to keep different .zim files around Smile
04-09-2013, 02:51 PM
(04-09-2013 07:45 AM)Henrik Wrote:  BTW ZIM files ("Z-IMage", also named in honor of Invader Zim of course) were originally always zlib-compressed but on Android you put your assets in a zip file (the .APK is just a zip file) anyway, so this led to double compression, so I turned it off. Could and probably should turn zlib compression back on on non-android platforms though, but too lazy to keep different .zim files around Smile

Hmmm... A little hard to understandard... What awesome looks like!
Smile
04-09-2013, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013 11:43 PM by BubblegumBalloon.)
Invader Zim was a fantastic TV show. I was really disappointed that they never got to create the final season. A lot of dialog from the new episodes was leaked but none of the animations were finished.

The creator of the show is actually pretty active on tumblr and he still creates art in the style of the invader zim show. http://jhonenv.tumblr.com/
04-10-2013, 12:04 AM
On Qt platforms, the .ZIM's are now packed and compressed in to the binary (eg. .exe).