Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
How to eliminate choppy sound
03-18-2016, 07:22 AM
RE: How to eliminate choppy sound
mine is also choppy, i tried to set the sound hack (dead or alive paradise, etc) setting in audio, lower the graphics, and lower system to run smoothly, but it is still choppy, the choppy sound is turning more worst when it is a voice from the game itself. if someone can share me your ppsspp settings, please tell it to me. (ppsspp user version: 1.0.1 and 1.1.1 also 1.2.1)

the choppy sound also make the game slow/lag even if the graphic is low.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2016, 12:20 PM
(03-18-2016 07:22 AM)Leo22 Wrote:  mine is also choppy, i tried to set the sound hack (dead or alive paradise, etc) setting in audio, lower the graphics, and lower system to run smoothly, but it is still choppy, the choppy sound is turning more worst when it is a voice from the game itself. if someone can share me your ppsspp settings, please tell it to me. (ppsspp user version: 1.0.1 and 1.1.1 also 1.2.1)

the choppy sound also make the game slow/lag even if the graphic is low.

I'm in the same boat as you sir. I have a hypothesis though. And that is that the clicks and pops are as a result of the emulator slowing down due to a lack of available resources either due to GPU/CPU/OS restricting them to the application, or simply the inefficiency of PPSSPP as a whole to effectively emulate PSP games.

In short, PSP games don't want to be emulated, and there may be no way to do it without these side effects. I've tried about 20 games using 5 different versions of PPSSPP, 3 platforms of varying capability (Snapdragon 600 running android, GT840M running windows 10, and GTX560ti running windows 7), and tinkering with the settings liberally in all cases. In order to approximate the gaming experience the best, you'll need GOBS of excessive ram, CPU, and GPU resources, and skip tons of frames. Even then you'll have slowdowns that however miniscule they may be, will still cause sound glitches that are obvious and incredibly abrasive.
06-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Actually, PPSSPP doesn't use very much RAM (unless you use liberal settings), so that probably won't help.

My experience is a lot of people act like playing games at "only 1x" or "only a little better than the original experience on the PSP" is ridiculous and intolerable, so yes, if you can't imagine playing at less than 7x render resolution and 5x upscale, you'll definitely need a very powerful computer with gobs of resources.

Of course, some people play PPSSPP on devices from more than 10 years ago with a pretty decent experience, but those people can tolerate not playing with ridiculous settings. It all depends on you, really.

-[Unknown]
06-09-2016, 05:35 PM
(06-09-2016 12:26 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Actually, PPSSPP doesn't use very much RAM (unless you use liberal settings), so that probably won't help.

My experience is a lot of people act like playing games at "only 1x" or "only a little better than the original experience on the PSP" is ridiculous and intolerable, so yes, if you can't imagine playing at less than 7x render resolution and 5x upscale, you'll definitely need a very powerful computer with gobs of resources.

Of course, some people play PPSSPP on devices from more than 10 years ago with a pretty decent experience, but those people can tolerate not playing with ridiculous settings. It all depends on you, really.

-[Unknown]

Furthermore, sound isn't necessary to a bunch of game titles and people playing them. I'd never even know there was a problem if I chose to play without sound, which many do.
06-10-2016, 08:13 AM
If you would read this thread you would see that the only person who solved the problem for himself was using very heavy feature(texture scaling) on weak hardware and disabling that feature allowed him to fix the problem. You would also see that some people think it's sound being choppy what causes their games to slow down which in reality is the opposite as when they can't run at full speed the sound which is generated by the game also can't be generated correctly and get's choppy.

You listed:
- mobile with Snapdragon 600,
- netbook/weak laptop with GT840M,
- old and weak pc with GTX560ti.

Neither of which are enough to run PPSSPP with all features and as a matter of fact even much stronger actual gaming pc's would cry from some of our features especially combined with some harder to emulate games which while rare does exist and some of them might even be popular.

Starting with android it's really hit and miss, doesn't matter what model you have and how much you paid for it, some of them never get driver updates and come with terribly buggy/generic drivers that are annoying to support, require workarounds and in the end will still work pretty badly even if on paper they have much more power.

While pc's are always stronger we do have lots of options which we probably should hide as most users have very basic or no technical knowledge and for whatever reason love to abuse settings they have no clue about - ruining their own experience in the process, hence in case of problems, restore default setting would be easiest recommendation, there's an option for that in system settings, going from default settings, some games run much better with vertex cache disabled which is worth trying and pretty safe.
Additionally on pc's with windows we also use better sound api which while faster might cause problems on cheap sound chips that comes with buggy drivers and that could cause sound artifacts all over, changing api to dsound might help there, but it's rare problem.

IO access on terribly fragmented hdd's or green ones that spin down very quickly could also cause this for which caching full iso to ram could help(option in the system settings), however saving states would still access hdd ruining performance.

Hopefully some of that might give you better idea about your problem, however I also don't plan to argue with someone making up weird theories that most people choose to play without sound or psp emulation being more demanding than wii or ps2 ones, that sounds like a troll attempt at best so yeah wish you good luck.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
07-22-2016, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2016 12:16 PM by belmont1990.)
As an author of this topic, I will add two words.
I'm using latest stable build 1.2.2 on Win 7 x64, specs G3460 @ 3.5ghz, HD7770 1Gb gddr5, 4Gb RAM.
This should be more than enough to run ppsspp quite good, my settings are 3x res. 3x xBRZ + deposterize, LumaMoo's customizable shader (great work BTW Tongue ) OGL backend, buffered rendering, vsync on, texture filtering auto, screen filtering linear.

The problem is sound cracks in some places, even at scaling set to OFF... the places where it cracks are screen transitions, opening map, opening inventory, using some special attacks with effects on screen like blur, flashing etc.

FPS measured in ppsspp dont drop at all when sound cracks and it is minor, about half sec but can be annoying when it kicks in here and there.
Is there any way to eliminate this kind of cracking sound? Again , even with scaling set to OFF the sound cracks are lesser, but there are still some.

To be sure that I did not messed up some settings weeks ago and forgot - I downloaded today a fresh stable ppsspp 1.2.2 and just set my setting to above mentioned, everything else is on default.

Console gamer since 1993.
05-01-2018, 01:58 PM
I have the latest version of PPSSPP, and it doesn't have the cpu options you have said.
What should I do?