Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horrible stuttering when using withOBS-please help
03-21-2018, 09:10 PM
Horrible stuttering when using withOBS-please help
Hey guys,

Long story short, Windows 10 updates are terrible and cause a lot of compatibility issues for us, in this instance, PPSSPP seems to be affected for me.

This video is an example of what happens when I run the emulator through OBS. It doesn't seem to matter which version or game you use (tried 1.01 and 1.54 with a few different games)

https://youtu.be/EgUnV0aKzkA

A few things to note:

- This ALSO happened on Bizhawk but a newer version fixed this.

- This will only occur if I have OBS running on 60FPS (same with the bizhawk issue before the newer version fixed it) 30FPS will run totally normal.

Because Windows 10 is so terrible and invasive, I can't reverse the update since it's been 10 days since install. I really don't want to do a recovery as it's a royal pain and I'm also not totally confident yet that I can permanently quarantine the files that allow windows update to install without your permission if I were to do so.....so I'm hoping I could find a solution here.

Please let me know if there's any additional info I can provide, I'd be happy to help! This emulator is great and I love using it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2018, 03:51 PM
RE: Horrible stuttering when using withOBS-please help
What's OBS?
03-24-2018, 05:07 PM
(03-24-2018 03:51 PM)Henrik Wrote:  What's OBS?

Only the most popular streaming / recording software in the world.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
03-24-2018, 08:54 PM
Since OBS is processor intensive did you check to make sure Windows didn't reset your power settings to something other then high performance. It could also be an affinity issue so manually setting the affinity to OBS and PPSSPP to separate cores may also help.
03-25-2018, 12:34 AM
IMHO, rendering fast is PPSSPP's job. Recording fast is really OBS's job, isn't it?

I'm not aware of us doing anything specific or intentional to change Bizhawk, but if it might help to find what git build first made it slow, and which git build most recently was fast. Maybe the change we made that accidentally fixed Bizhawk can tell us how OBS is misbehaving here.

Have you tried different rendering backends (like Vulkan)?

-[Unknown]
03-25-2018, 02:10 PM
I found out what it was! In the creator's update, it added that Microsoft Game Bar and nobody really uses. I knew it was there, but what I DIDN'T know is that it was automatically turning on and recording my screen whenever I would run a game, hogging up resources. So recording with two apps @ high quality was causing a ton of stuttering.

God I hate Windows 10. But hopefully anyone else having the problem will learn that the stupid app just turns itself on without your permission.