Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gran Turismo PSP Emulation Issues
03-13-2018, 05:27 PM
Gran Turismo PSP Emulation Issues
My computer ain't the greatest in the world, but for whatever reason, it can emulate PSP games pretty well.
Yep.
All except for Gran Turismo.
For some god-forsaken reason, I'm getting lag in the MENUS, and sometimes it can even affect the gameplay!
There are different results depending on a situation:
>Loading a race from the menu transfers the lag to the gameplay
>A race loaded from a save-state runs perfectly fine
>If a race is loaded from the menu, slowing down the car can slow down the framerate...for some reason

Here's my setup.

Computer: Lenovo G50
Processor: AMD A6-6310 with Radeon R4 graphics
RAM: 4.00 GB

PPSSPP
No VSync
No postprocessing shader, I have to resort to D3D9 for Gran Turismo and only Gran Turismo
1x rendering resolution, again, only for Gran Turismo
1x window size...you get the idea
Buffered rendering
Frameskipping set to automatic if the framerate ever starts having a seizure
Texture filtering set to automatic
Screen scaling filter set to linear
Texture scaling off, but whatever "xBRZ" is is checked
Hardware transform on
Vertex cache on

Help is appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2018, 10:46 AM
RE: Gran Turismo PSP Emulation Issues
If a "slowdown" is different in-game when loaded from savestate than in-game, it most likely means that your pc is throttling from the harder to emulate parts or keeps power saving mode from the easier to emulate parts.

You use word "all", when in reality you ment "other games I tried", there are a lot of psp games, many of them are easy to emulate, some are not, the latter will have higher, sometimes much higher requirements and most popular games are among those and will require more powerful hardware.

Also while I have no clue about this particular game game, it would be nothing weird for some menus to be more demanding than in-game graphics. 2D graphics is commonly harder to make on modern hardware especially in emulation where nothing is as simple as it looks and s stupid wall could be harder to draw than a complex battle scene.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
09-13-2018, 05:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2018 05:19 AM by Tabris666.)
this game needs a special setting on cpu speed i think was 233mhz which is the cpu speed of first gen psp i still dont understand what speed the emulator uses when emulating the games but gran turismo needed the cpu setting there are other games that needed a special setting but they work slow even on high end pc.
for example poorly optimized games need higher requirements (tekken games are known for this since they used every bit of hardware from the last gen of psp 3XXX series which are quite different from first gen psp but they are poorly optimized on ppsspp is normal on emulation think that a game released for psone still has speed problem and is a psone game but no one dares to optimize one game because it can break other games,weird because ppsspp keep updating the snapshot feature when is known that is breaking native save support)
psp 1000 specs
cpu speed 233 mhz
8 Mb ram
4 mb gpu
2 Mb spu
psp 300 specs
cpu speed 333 mhz
32 Mb ram
16 Mb gpu
8 Mb spu
due to hardware differences hardware requirements on ppssp are different for games released for psp 3000 and psp 1000 sadly the emulator dont have a proper hardware setup since selecting psp 3000 or psp 1000 wont change anything at all and some games specially older games had a better performance in the psp 3000
my advice as always avoid the snapshot saves and check for an older version since they work better then the latest version.

your gpu should be able to emulate any game since is 10 times better then the gpu of a gaming tablet but the emulator is getting crippled and gold versions are working better and faster when comparing the performance of both.
09-13-2018, 05:59 AM
The PSP 3000 has the exact same Mips R4000 CPU, the same 4MiB of DRAM, and the same 166MHz clocked Graphics chip across all models. From the 2000 onwards there was an increase in RAM from 32MiB to 64MiB.

Sony put a hard cap on the CPU of 233 for all official software up until firmware 3.5 when they removed the cap and the full 333 could be used (probably a battery life decision which they changed when games started needing the extra power). GTA PSP is a firmware 5.5 title and on everything from my psp 1000 to my PSP go it runs at 333 in single player mode and 222 in multiplayer (as for why... probanly only sonu knows for sure). You can lower the clock speed in GT PSP on a real PSP and it will run.... just at a lower framerate (I think I remember it becoming unstable at 133 and lower though, but is has been a few years since I messed around with it that much).
09-13-2018, 03:19 PM
(09-13-2018 05:59 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  The PSP 3000 has the exact same Mips R4000 CPU, the same 4MiB of DRAM, and the same 166MHz clocked Graphics chip across all models. From the 2000 onwards there was an increase in RAM from 32MiB to 64MiB.

Sony put a hard cap on the CPU of 233 for all official software up until firmware 3.5 when they removed the cap and the full 333 could be used (probably a battery life decision which they changed when games started needing the extra power). GTA PSP is a firmware 5.5 title and on everything from my psp 1000 to my PSP go it runs at 333 in single player mode and 222 in multiplayer (as for why... probanly only sonu knows for sure). You can lower the clock speed in GT PSP on a real PSP and it will run.... just at a lower framerate (I think I remember it becoming unstable at 133 and lower though, but is has been a few years since I messed around with it that much).

Nope they had different hardware in fact you could just ask to sony they will tell you the same specs i said (since i asked them the diffrence in hardware betwen versions)
Gran turismo needs a lower cpu speed setting on ppsspp for unknown reasons (read before answering) is not a matter of personal choice is to get the game working and firmware 5.5 was old because games made exclusivelly for psp 3XXX used the firmware 6.X
This is an emulation site go to sony forums or hacklife forums if you want to talk about ruining your psp console.