Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
importing settings
02-08-2018, 09:55 AM
importing settings
how can i copy the settings and saves from v1.5.4-513-gce1654785 to v1.5.4-520-g20eb56666?

will i have to manually tweak the settings again everytime i download a new dev version?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2018, 11:24 AM
RE: importing settings
It is best if you manually do the settings again for your games as newer versions might have changes to the settings file that may result in crashes if you copy it.

As for saves if you are using Windows in your ppsspp folder you'll find a save data folder just copy that into your new ppsspp folder and your saves are transferred as for save states I'm not sure...

My specs
Redmi Note 10.
Check My Profile For Tested Games(Bio Section)
Testing multiplayer - MGS PW - God Eater - Dbz

Contact me on Twitter @BradEDias for help with ppsspp
02-09-2018, 03:06 AM
That's not true, the only time old config would cause problems would be if a setting changed and was not renamed or setting considered unsafe was removed while being left as ini-only option and you were using it previously which generally doesn't happen as we try to avoid such situations while commiting changes;p.

Updating is as easy as installing new version over old one, when copying/extracting files manually you have to remember that you need to update not just the executable file, but also assets folder especially *.zim and *.ini files inside assets(important!), optionally you can also update shaders and lang folders. You don't have to update flash0 folder in case you used PSP system font(that fixes some problems in some games, but since it's copyrighted it's illegal to distribute and need to be copied from psp;p).

Savestates in 99% will be backwards compatible(rarely broken by commits from new people, but then quickly fixed) althrough abusing savestates as only way of saving game simulates infinite gameplay which is really bad as games aren't perfectly stable even on real hardware and as such normal in-game saves and emulation restarts from time to time are recommended even without updating, which sometimes might be required to get new things from new versions to work correctly.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
02-09-2018, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 04:20 AM by Asferot.)
(02-09-2018 03:06 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  That's not true, the only time old config would cause problems would be if a setting changed and was not renamed or setting considered unsafe was removed while being left as ini-only option and you were using it previously which generally doesn't happen as we try to avoid such situations while commiting changes;p.

Updating is as easy as installing new version over old one, when copying/extracting files manually you have to remember that you need to update not just the executable file, but also assets folder especially *.zim and *.ini files inside assets(important!), optionally you can also update shaders and lang folders. You don't have to update flash0 folder in case you used PSP system font(that fixes some problems in some games, but since it's copyrighted it's illegal to distribute and need to be copied from psp;p).

Savestates in 99% will be backwards compatible(rarely broken by commits from new people, but then quickly fixed) althrough abusing savestates as only way of saving game simulates infinite gameplay which is really bad as games aren't perfectly stable even on real hardware and as such normal in-game saves and emulation restarts from time to time are recommended even without updating, which sometimes might be required to get new things from new versions to work correctly.

This time I will not agree with you. I have had problems with importing old settings files too. No idea if it was build specific back then or whatnot, but it did not really work. I know it should, but...

Also. There is some times when deleting settings file is the only way to make emulator run again. EVEN IF all the settings in the emulator itself seem fine, when you go to change something.

To be honest in these years of using PPSSPP I have seen the weirdest glitches with it.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-09-2018, 02:28 PM
There's never a need for deleting settings to change some option that makes it impossible to run PPSSPP at all, there's really just one option that could do that - graphics backend(and only on weird hardware configurations with driver issues lying about support for certain stuff) and that can be changed easily by editing the ini file or learning commandline where supported. There are also things like per-game settings or cheats which might crash on game boot, but that's even easier to deal with since those can all be accessed before launching a game by simply using game info screen(triangle/right mouse click/hold left button on a game), that screen might be hidden to most new users simply because we don't announce it's existence in any way other than mentioning it under any ocassion like me doing it nowTongue.

Also there's no need for importing old settings, on windows for example you simply extract new files over old ones, on android simply install new app without uninstalling old one etc. the only time location of settings would change would be by user choice, or by OS priviledges(which indirectly is also user choice). For example on windows 10 depending on the folder PPSSPP will read ini files from it's own folder or from my documents, you can run ppsspp with elevated priviledges, change folder settings or move ppsspp to a less restrictuve folder which all would change memstick folder containing all user data, but that's really a non issue, just missunderstanding of most users in how their favourite operating system works:].

Real issues should be reported otherwise they will never get fixed, for example person who made camera support also broke savestates backwards compatibility, it would probably never be fixed if not for someone reporting that it doesn't work anymore, because devs might not use that often.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
02-11-2018, 04:22 AM
I've been using the same settings file since 0.3.x...

That being said, I knew about all the changes along the way, and tweaked it.

-[Unknown]
02-11-2018, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 07:15 AM by Dukatti.)
Easiest way:
1. Duplicate existing ppsspp folder
2. Extract new ppsspp into duplicated

[for ~every other emu working as well]