Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Version Won't Play Games I've Played on Old
01-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Bug New Version Won't Play Games I've Played on Old
I've just gotten v1.5.4. and tried to play games I played on v0.9.8, I click on Disgaea Infinite and a white screen would pop up and a little screen would say, "PPSSPP has stopped working. I'm using PC version btw. PPSSPP v1.5.4. will not work for all my PSP games that worked on your older version. Also, if I use PPSSPPWindows64.exe it would totally shut off once I've tried to run a PSP game. So what's the deal? What can I do short of deleting your emulator from my computer?[/size]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2018, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-20-2018 08:52 AM by Asferot.)
RE: New Version Won't Play Games I've Played on Old
WEW. Why the hell you were sitting on a version that old?

You probably need to install this. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...x?id=40784

And check what video backend you are using/what is supported on your system.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
01-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Redistributables are irrelevant, PPSSPP has libraries statically linked(aka they're part of the executable and system ones aren't used).
Also we don't use VS 2013 for a very long time, only VS2015 and VS2017 are currently supported, well there's I believe also mingw, but it's just bad and official builds will not be based on it. Either way downloading and installing "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013" would have no effect on PPSSPP.

Depending on hardware, problems would most likely be caused by bad Vulkan or OGL driver support. So yeah changing the backend is the thing that will most likely help.
Generally all backends currently are pretty good, but also will suffer from different issues, some of which will be hardware/driver dependant, some others not. Most of the code is shared between different backends, so differences outside of driver/stability issues are pretty minor mostly related to depth and lighting.

Also another thing I thought of before posting, when updating very old ppsspp to new one, make sure to update all it's folders, not just exe since some things moved around(ie missing fonts would crash some games;p) and some others were added, we also now have some compatibility hacks and features activated through external asset file which should be updated as well.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-20-2018, 08:24 PM
(01-20-2018 02:25 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Redistributables are irrelevant, PPSSPP has libraries statically linked(aka they're part of the executable and system ones aren't used).
Also we don't use VS 2013 for a very long time, only VS2015 and VS2017 are currently supported, well there's I believe also mingw, but it's just bad and official builds will not be based on it. Either way downloading and installing "Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013" would have no effect on PPSSPP.

Depending on hardware, problems would most likely be caused by bad Vulkan or OGL driver support. So yeah changing the backend is the thing that will most likely help.
Generally all backends currently are pretty good, but also will suffer from different issues, some of which will be hardware/driver dependant, some others not. Most of the code is shared between different backends, so differences outside of driver/stability issues are pretty minor mostly related to depth and lighting.

Also another thing I thought of before posting, when updating very old ppsspp to new one, make sure to update all it's folders, not just exe since some things moved around(ie missing fonts would crash some games;p) and some others were added, we also now have some compatibility hacks and features activated through external asset file which should be updated as well.

Thanks LunaMoo, I've changed the backend from OpenGL to Direct3D 9 and now the games play. I'm checking all now but if I have a problem with it I'll change the backend to Direct3D 11. Thanks again LunaMoo
02-06-2018, 10:10 PM
Also, make sure you delete your PPSSPP settings. No like. Seriously, it's the biggest mistake when upgrading from such a old version.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2018, 05:06 AM
(02-06-2018 10:10 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  Also, make sure you delete your PPSSPP settings. No like. Seriously, it's the biggest mistake when upgrading from such a old version.

Listen to this guy!

One thing that no one should ever copy over from older versions is the settings file.

And in general I have seen some weird cases where settings file becomes broken/scrambled or whatever and emulator just crashes on launch.

Everything is Hitsuzen!