Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Why was Multi-threading removed?
09-15-2018, 02:53 PM
RE: Why was Multi-threading removed?
Just disable simulate block transfer and slower effects. You can have the same bad graphics as old versions while using the latest versions of PPSSPP. The new multithreading is already in, faster, and better.

Your performance problems are because back in 0.9.9 (which was literally over 10,000 changes ago, released 4 years ago), we didn't support a lot of rendering effects games use. We support them now, but they can cause slowdowns.

But we added those two options to turn off the rendering effects, so you're not stuck with the higher accuracy. You can still have bad graphics and more speed if you really want.

There's a ton of games that have been made more compatible, had crashes fixed, or etc. since v0.9.9. v1.0 in particular had a lot.

But sure - if you don't care about these updates and feel like v0.9.9 was the golden, beautiful release... why are you complaining? Just keep using v0.9.9. No one here is trying to separate you from your bugs. You're more than welcome to stick with them forever.

The old, badly implemented multithreading feature broke games on all sorts of systems. For example, my Core i7 definitely had issues with the badly implemented mulithreading. I don't think my CPU is that old, though I'm considering an upgrade to an 8700 now. It's certain that the bugs in the old multithreading would be present on an 8700 too. In fact, they would be worse if I didn't also upgrade my video card.

The good news is the new, better multithreading works great. It's so good, we removed the option to turn it off. Don't want multithreading? Too bad, you cannot turn it off. That's because it's better for literally everyone, whether on old Pentium 4s or new Core i7s.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why was Multi-threading removed? - [Unknown] - 09-15-2018 02:53 PM