Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Changing monster icons in Monster Hunter
12-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Changing monster icons in Monster Hunter
Would there be a simple way to change the monster icons in various Monster Hunter games on PlayPlayStationStationPortablePortable?

Like in Portable 3rd change the Amatsu's icon from a ? to a fan-made icon?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2017, 06:59 AM
RE: Changing monster icons in Monster Hunter
There is a way.

PPSSPP now allows for custom textures based on textures dumped from the psp.
If you scroll down a bit there's a post called: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures as well as a post called Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack.

Both will give you a textures.ini file and then the textures that they replace as an example. There are also tutorials on how to do this if you google.

I suggest you get to the screen where the image is you want to replace. Dump the texture. Change it to your fan made icon. Tweak the textures.ini file and voila!
12-10-2017, 02:38 PM
(12-10-2017 06:59 AM)WonkoTheSane Wrote:  I suggest you get to the screen where the image is you want to replace. Dump the texture. Change it to your fan made icon. Tweak the textures.ini file and voila!

Thanks but that doesn't really make it clear on how you access the textures
12-11-2017, 09:19 AM
You can check this thread where this feature was discussed and has pretty much everything or almost everything explained.
You "access textures" by dumping them to hdd;p, there's an option to do that under tools->developer tools->texture replacement, anyway all of that is noted in that thread I linked.

Note that texture replacement is a feature of an emulator to replace textures, not images and you will not be able to use it on real PSP, dumped textures will also often not look like images stored by the game, they can be combined from many tiny images, might even include some obsolete trash data since unfortunately many games didn't followed PSP texture specs and can be pretty nasty, in some games at least some textures might even be impossible to replace.

Oh and if by "PlayPlayStationStationPortablePortable" you ment PPSSPP - that's not what it means LOL.Big Grin You literally have the full name above while browsing the forums and also nobody really uses full names for emulators I wouldn't be surprised if Henrik made up full name after short name was decidedTongue.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.