Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Legality of using the PPSSPP emulator and CFW.
12-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Question Legality of using the PPSSPP emulator and CFW.
Hello. May I ask: Is the use of the PPSSPP emulator, CFW softwares on PSPs, and extracting game data from a PSP to a PC, all legal in the UK and such?
I would like to know, so I do not cross any lines by accident.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2017, 08:22 PM
RE: Legality of using the PPSSPP emulator and CFW.
I would not recomemd getting legal advice from the internet, but with that said

Rooting or flashing your device (CFW) is not only not illegal in the EU it also does not void your warenty like it does in the US. Playing content you do not personally own is illegal probably everywhere and finally.

Playing legally owned content or backing up your personal content to a different medium\ playing it on an emulator is something that is so in flux that if you really really care legally... then I can only recomend consulting a local attorney who does copyright and trademark law since they would know the most up to date laws and cases.
12-09-2017, 10:24 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 07:01 AM by LG Fanatic.)
Thanks to a landmark Supreme Court ruling in the 90's involving Nintendo, the use of emulators is very much legal. That is as long as you are playing digital copies of games you own. Downloading games to emulate that you don't own is very much illegal and considered piracy. This is U.S. law of course and it maybe different in your country.
12-10-2017, 02:56 PM
How about SONY PSP emulation? All I shall be using the PPSSPP emulator for, is to properly emulate the PSP Patapon 3 game (mainly for wireless connections).
The Internet doesn't seem to have a whole lot about SONY and Emulators, at least from what I can find.
I do have a UMD disk of Patapon 3, one that we purchased from game stores if correct, so Piracy shouldn't be a problem with just playing it on this PC.
12-10-2017, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 03:58 PM by LG Fanatic.)
Correct. Since it's a game you own then, playing it via PSP emulation should be no problem.
12-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Although, I have one last question: In the UK, has Sony done what Nintendo attempted, which is to make Emulators illegal? If not, then PSP emulation is probably not opposed here in the UK.
12-11-2017, 04:54 AM
PPSSPP does not use any sony code to work (well unless you copy sony's font from your own PSP to fix a few games). The only coprighted materials are the games themselves (which is why this emulator and any other legit emulator does not support or condone piracy). If you can make a legal backup of your game in your country then PPSSPP should be legal, if you can not make a legal backup then PPSSPP should still be legal for homebrew games but not comercial ones.

The only lawsuit Sony has had against an emulator was Bleem!, which emulated the PS1 on PC while the PS1 was still relatively new. Sony lost the case on all counts, but the legal costs did end up causing the end of Bleem!.
12-11-2017, 11:10 AM
[my "last question" wasn't last btw] does the 660Pro-C-fix3 software bypass data encryption in the PSP, to access the UMD game files?
SONY has a Software Usage Terms rule on www. playstation.com/en-gb/legal/software-usage-terms, at 6.6, and since Patapon 3 is partially developed by SIE Japan Studio (part of SONY), that rule may apply to the game data.