Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
12-18-2017, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 12:12 PM by WonkoTheSane.)
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
I have made another example for you.

This time involving hard replacement of textures and working with repeating textures

Take a look at the bug see saw. It's hideous and makes my eyes bleed. Let's fix it.

Lets grab the texture that's used... no wonder it looks the way it does, the texture is super tiny! Here i've selected the part that textures the bug see saw and zoomed ALL the way in...

Lets save out just that bit (you can crop and save) and go search google using that image for something similar:

I found a nice wood texture... Now to upscale this guy (original texture). Go to image resize and make it percentage based. Scale it ALL the way up because damn.. thats a tiny texture.

Bam! I've placed it over the previous wood texture!,

but... it looks a bit different in colour to the previous one... let's fix that!

Lets save that and check how it looks in game...

Oh no... see the original texture is being repeated over that plane and the repeating points have hard distinguishing lines.

Lets fix that by ofsetting the image, making it seemless with the clone tool or whatever, and offsetting it back.

Aaaand voila...

Last but not least.

Using an upscaling algorhithm can help with textures that are already good or with which you cannot find a good replacement.

https://letsenhance.io for instance gives you 5 free texture uploads and gives two options 'boring' and 'magic' where magic takes guesses at the texture detail and 'wings' it a bit, and boring just uses surrounding pixel details to upscale (like xbrz).

You simply upload, download and replace... usually. Using the magic upscaler you'll need to also check the offsets for texture seams.

A slight but important difference in texture quality. Look at the mining area/rock-face

before

after

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures - WonkoTheSane - 12-18-2017 11:49 AM