Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
12-18-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 11:06 AM by WonkoTheSane.)
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
Hey CuchiPol.

So... there are a couple of ways to go about it.

1. You could manually paint over the textures using photoshop, gimp or other bitmap imaging programs. If you've got the skill for it, this is probably going to result in the best quality high res textures.
2. You could use upscaling algorhithms to make life easier. PPSSPP already uses something called xbr to to this, but we there are better upscalers out there, mostly using ai of some sort.
Look at WAIFU2x for more anime/clean line upscales and something like letsenhance.io for the other stuff. There might be others out there as well.
3. You could try and find similar textures and overlay them using blending modes using photoshop or gimp after you've scaled the image up like 400%.

I don't think there's any ONE way to do this. It pretty much depends on what your comfort levels are with different techniques and which techniques will get you which results.

Hope that helps, let me know if you've got any questions.

Hey again CuchiPol.

I thought an example of how I played around with an armor piece might be of help.

So the jaggi waist as an example before:

and the same waist after some minor tweaks:

So, first thing's first is to decide how you are going to approach it.
If you will be using an external filter to increase the base resolution, then you want as clean a texture as possible to start with. You basically save/dump the textures without any filtering in your graphics settings.

If however you are going to go about this manually, you probably want to upscale the texture as much as possible. Like 5x xbr for instance... save that... and work from that higher resolution texture.

I started with a 5x upscaled image of the jaggi waist:

Then determined that what would be the most useful is to make the scaly texture more apparent. So i went forth and looked for a decent 'scale' texture that repeats:

I brought in one of those texture to see what works best, turned them in to a smart image so that i can resize and go crazy without losing quality, and used blend modes to overlay it in a way that looked right. I blurred out the texture underneath to lose the detail in specific parts but to retain the colour information. This is pretty much just getting comfortable with photoshop and figuring out what options, which blend modes and what masking effects lead to which end results.

Here's the final texture with the changes made (also made changes to the leather and the frill in a similar manner)

And here's the same texture with just the parts that i've actually modified (for clarity)

Now... just to clarify. I am by no means a professional. i just play around with photoshop in my spare time. There are a myriad of tutorials out there on how to get any specific effect. So, I think the key is to figure out what needs to be done and then go google the ways to pull that off.

Just stick to the texture as closely as possible in terms of layout and design and see what can be done to make it shine Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures - WonkoTheSane - 12-18-2017 10:40 AM