Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
12-12-2017, 07:52 PM
RE: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD - HD Textures
That is looking great @kingvall!
If you're ok with it, I'll add it to the repo when you are done?

@Luna.
I am always up for a challenge.
I'll need some stuff to make this work though and I'm not too sure how to go about it.
I reckon i'll need the original PSP font to get an idea of how the width and heights of the lettering should be, then figure out how to use the above mentioned software. I'm not to intimidated by CLI software as long as there is *some* documentation for it.

I noticed that, yes, the font won't be HD since it DOES generate a somewhat random number/letter sequence in the filename.
The first 16 alphanumeric characters are the same for similar character sequences, but the last bit is unique with each, e.g.:
09f13a508327c5ac********
Also the contents isn't completely unique, there is overlap but they all have different tiny changes. This leads me to think it generates the font textures dynamically?

Maybe i'm missing something? I'm including some sample texture dumps of the fonts... let me know if 'm being silly Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2017, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2017 09:23 PM by LunaMoo.)
Blah, yeah it just add every glyph in order of appearance to same texture and that order depends on your actions in game, what menus you enter first or even characters names:C.

The only workaround I imagine for something like that would involve modding the game itself. Either changing how it builds that font texture directly or just add a string with all characters to be printed early on game bootTongue for example instead of "checking for memory stick" which builds most of it's early letters, print alphabet including all special signs it might ever use leaving all the work to create a nicely ordered texture(s?) for the game. Then again I'm biased towards such solutions and can be blind for something else;p.

TTF2PGF should come with readme that explains it's arguments syntax and since it's just a converter, you would still need to create ttf fonts via some other software, but that's more known format I guess. Also this converter has a bug I believe with generating smaller fonts as someone investigated here, never really used it myself.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
12-13-2017, 03:25 PM
little changes
before //i.imgur.com/X7hitjt.png
after //i.imgur.com/Pq3aAqr.png
12-16-2017, 03:38 AM
I think i might be able to help. I'm a Cs Graduate and looking for some projects. I have experience in modeling, animation and photoshop. A bit basic in texturing. Since I saw that this project is about texturing and stuff, I'm curious about it and want to learn from it. And I think that I will be able to contribute to this project, just needed to be guided on the directions.
12-16-2017, 06:08 PM
(12-16-2017 03:38 AM)CuchiPol Wrote:  I think i might be able to help. I'm a Cs Graduate and looking for some projects. I have experience in modeling, animation and photoshop. A bit basic in texturing. Since I saw that this project is about texturing and stuff, I'm curious about it and want to learn from it. And I think that I will be able to contribute to this project, just needed to be guided on the directions.

more hands will certainly help
12-18-2017, 08:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 09:06 AM by WonkoTheSane.)
Just a quick progress report.

Did the Barroth: https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose...daf8f81e27

Also have done Popo, Baggi and...
Great Baggi: https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapose...daf8f81e27

Going to try and see if I can finish up a couple more soon. Phew!
12-18-2017, 09:08 AM
Hello, I manage to extract and get the textures of the weapons (I'll start with SnS). How you guys increase its resolution? Do you guys use other programs besides Gimp or Photoshop
12-18-2017, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 11:06 AM by WonkoTheSane.)
Hey CuchiPol.

So... there are a couple of ways to go about it.

1. You could manually paint over the textures using photoshop, gimp or other bitmap imaging programs. If you've got the skill for it, this is probably going to result in the best quality high res textures.
2. You could use upscaling algorhithms to make life easier. PPSSPP already uses something called xbr to to this, but we there are better upscalers out there, mostly using ai of some sort.
Look at WAIFU2x for more anime/clean line upscales and something like letsenhance.io for the other stuff. There might be others out there as well.
3. You could try and find similar textures and overlay them using blending modes using photoshop or gimp after you've scaled the image up like 400%.

I don't think there's any ONE way to do this. It pretty much depends on what your comfort levels are with different techniques and which techniques will get you which results.

Hope that helps, let me know if you've got any questions.

Hey again CuchiPol.

I thought an example of how I played around with an armor piece might be of help.

So the jaggi waist as an example before:

and the same waist after some minor tweaks:

So, first thing's first is to decide how you are going to approach it.
If you will be using an external filter to increase the base resolution, then you want as clean a texture as possible to start with. You basically save/dump the textures without any filtering in your graphics settings.

If however you are going to go about this manually, you probably want to upscale the texture as much as possible. Like 5x xbr for instance... save that... and work from that higher resolution texture.

I started with a 5x upscaled image of the jaggi waist:

Then determined that what would be the most useful is to make the scaly texture more apparent. So i went forth and looked for a decent 'scale' texture that repeats:

I brought in one of those texture to see what works best, turned them in to a smart image so that i can resize and go crazy without losing quality, and used blend modes to overlay it in a way that looked right. I blurred out the texture underneath to lose the detail in specific parts but to retain the colour information. This is pretty much just getting comfortable with photoshop and figuring out what options, which blend modes and what masking effects lead to which end results.

Here's the final texture with the changes made (also made changes to the leather and the frill in a similar manner)

And here's the same texture with just the parts that i've actually modified (for clarity)

Now... just to clarify. I am by no means a professional. i just play around with photoshop in my spare time. There are a myriad of tutorials out there on how to get any specific effect. So, I think the key is to figure out what needs to be done and then go google the ways to pull that off.

Just stick to the texture as closely as possible in terms of layout and design and see what can be done to make it shine Smile
12-18-2017, 11:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 12:12 PM by WonkoTheSane.)
I have made another example for you.

This time involving hard replacement of textures and working with repeating textures

Take a look at the bug see saw. It's hideous and makes my eyes bleed. Let's fix it.

Lets grab the texture that's used... no wonder it looks the way it does, the texture is super tiny! Here i've selected the part that textures the bug see saw and zoomed ALL the way in...

Lets save out just that bit (you can crop and save) and go search google using that image for something similar:

I found a nice wood texture... Now to upscale this guy (original texture). Go to image resize and make it percentage based. Scale it ALL the way up because damn.. thats a tiny texture.

Bam! I've placed it over the previous wood texture!,

but... it looks a bit different in colour to the previous one... let's fix that!

Lets save that and check how it looks in game...

Oh no... see the original texture is being repeated over that plane and the repeating points have hard distinguishing lines.

Lets fix that by ofsetting the image, making it seemless with the clone tool or whatever, and offsetting it back.

Aaaand voila...

Last but not least.

Using an upscaling algorhithm can help with textures that are already good or with which you cannot find a good replacement.

https://letsenhance.io for instance gives you 5 free texture uploads and gives two options 'boring' and 'magic' where magic takes guesses at the texture detail and 'wings' it a bit, and boring just uses surrounding pixel details to upscale (like xbrz).

You simply upload, download and replace... usually. Using the magic upscaler you'll need to also check the offsets for texture seams.

A slight but important difference in texture quality. Look at the mining area/rock-face

before

after

12-18-2017, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2017 02:34 PM by CuchiPol.)
Wow! thanks for all your tutorials. This'll be helpful

Edit:

I don't know if this texture replacement is good or bad.

Before: imgur.com/sGaqasU
After: imgur.com/A002dN5
12-18-2017, 03:02 PM
(12-18-2017 12:34 PM)CuchiPol Wrote:  Wow! thanks for all your tutorials. This'll be helpful

Edit:

I don't know if this texture replacement is good or bad.

Before: imgur.com/sGaqasU
After: imgur.com/A002dN5

Hey! A good start!

So I like the fact that the feathers have much more detail in them. Though I have the slightest suspicion you used a leaf as the overlay instead of feathers? Either way looks good, others might pick up the leafy veins or not.

If you want to polish this some more, you could smooth out the metally bits. The bronze in the shield for instance could look nice and smooth with some sharp highlights. Would make it 'pop' if you know what I mean?

Keep up the good work. Your first textures are usually very slow to do... but you pick up speed and you get more and more comfortable with the toolsets
01-02-2018, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2018 03:34 PM by fivefeet8.)
I recorded a short video of your HD textures and some on/off comparisons. So far, looks great!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVd-RFtKRDU&t=191s

01-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Great works!
01-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Really cool texture mod. Getting FPS drops on CEMU while playing MH3U, PPSSPP runs fine as ever with MH3P and now looks great too!

Is it possible to scale the UI smaller? It still looks kinda bulky and takes up so much of the screen. Or is this hardcoded and not possible to change with simple textures?
01-10-2018, 10:00 PM
Hey all, I've been lurking around the forums for a long time, but felt the need to register to just say that I'd like to contribute if I can. I've studied as a graphic designer and I would appreciate info on how to extract the textures of the game so I can work on them. Is there a specific software solution to do that? Thanks in advance, and great work y'all! I love the cleaner UI so far!