Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OpenGL bug on Samsung Galaxy S8
10-14-2017, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2017 11:09 AM by StephenH.)
OpenGL bug on Samsung Galaxy S8
So I don't know if anyone else has encountered this bug, but I currently own a Samsung Galaxy S8 (Exynos version) and have a game breaking bug with OpenGL in some games like Luna and Hexyz Force (See screenshot). When set to OpenGL the graphics get all cut off and distorted and makes the game unplayable. When I switch to Vulkan everything runs perfectly, but due to its early stages, it crashes when I minimize the app. Is there currently any fix for this OpenGL bug? This bug doesn not occur on other Samsung Exynos devices.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: OpenGL bug on Samsung Galaxy S8
Mali GPUs drivers have the worst OpenGL support on Android, the newer the driver the worse the support. The last decent (not perfect) version was r7p0, but the last S device that supported it was Galaxy S6 with Android 5.0 or 6.0 (don't remember). Now it's only available for low/mid-end devices (my J7 for example).

There's a huge chance to this bug to be caused by bad drivers, take a look in Dolphin's forums, there's a lot of issues related to Exynos Galaxy S8 and other Mali devices. Dolphin is more complex and needs more OpenGL features than PPSSPP, so it's easier to find issues.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply