Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shaders with Vulkan?
10-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Shaders with Vulkan?
Is it possible to use any shaders with Vulkan? On OpenGL they work fine, but when I change to Vulkan, none of them works.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2017, 03:48 AM
RE: Shaders with Vulkan?
None of the shaders that come with PPSSPP are in Vulkan's proper format so from the default ones...no.

Can PPSSPP load proper Vulkan shaders... honestly not sure.
10-09-2017, 09:10 AM
The "proper" Vulkan shader format is SPIR-V and it's kind of bad for sideloaded post process effects, since it's low level, not exactly friendly for humans to read and easily modify.

PPSSPP is using GLSL and with glslang and SPIRV-Cross allowing shader translation to pretty much any other shader format it will never really require any separate per-backend format. Althrought it is important for the GLSL shaders to be written in correct GLSL otherwise the shader will not compile even if it would work on OGL backend(where at least on PC's with AMD/Nvidia gpu's - drivers are extremely forgiving in that matter).

In short PPSSPP uses the same format for ALL backends so if the post process effects don't work it simply means it's not implemented yet due to:
a) nobody cares(d3d9),
b) backend is new/buggy and there are more important things to work first with not enough people working on them(vulkan).

In other words just wait patiently, Vulkan will definitely get those someday, if you have account on Git, you can also click "subscribe" on the right side of this issue to be informed whenever something changes in that matter and until then just forget about it.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
10-09-2017, 02:08 PM
(10-09-2017 09:10 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  The "proper" Vulkan shader format is SPIR-V and it's kind of bad for sideloaded post process effects, since it's low level, not exactly friendly for humans to read and easily modify.

PPSSPP is using GLSL and with glslang and SPIRV-Cross allowing shader translation to pretty much any other shader format it will never really require any separate per-backend format. Althrought it is important for the GLSL shaders to be written in correct GLSL otherwise the shader will not compile even if it would work on OGL backend(where at least on PC's with AMD/Nvidia gpu's - drivers are extremely forgiving in that matter).

In short PPSSPP uses the same format for ALL backends so if the post process effects don't work it simply means it's not implemented yet due to:
a) nobody cares(d3d9),
b) backend is new/buggy and there are more important things to work first with not enough people working on them(vulkan).

In other words just wait patiently, Vulkan will definitely get those someday, if you have account on Git, you can also click "subscribe" on the right side of this issue to be informed whenever something changes in that matter and until then just forget about it.

Ah so it's just not implemented yet? Vulkan get some nice speed boosts for some games, but I also wanted to play with shaders. I was playing Retroarch the other day with the Vulkan drivers and they were using slang shaders, so I was wondering if PPSSPP had any similar options. I guess I will just wait until it gets implemented.