Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 5 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack (WIP) - Update (2019-02-03)
11-30-2017, 07:45 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack
(11-28-2017 11:30 AM)Voltekka Wrote:  This looks amazing, thank you for doing it! Are you going to finish it soon? I don't want to rush you but I can't wait to replay it with this Smile

You're welcome ^^ Most things will be ready "soon", but some others, like the portraits for every character and npc will take me quite a while, because I'm redrawing them from scratch in GIMP using the original image upscaled with waifu2x as basis (I actually use the PS2 version of the portraits since they had better resolution)

What I can tell you, and anyone interested, is that I'll be uploading a new version "soon" with quite a few new textures (The first version replaced 751 textures, while the new one replaces 971 so far)

Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack:
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=23509
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2017, 11:12 PM
The backgrounds don't actually load, and instead of keeping the original, it becomes a black background for some reason, I dunno what's causing this, but it only happens with background textures, it's normal if I don't apply the patch..

Also, how do I get rid of the white lines that pop up around the characters textures? I'm using D3D9 cause I can only use that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2017, 11:48 PM
(11-30-2017 11:12 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  The backgrounds don't actually load, and instead of keeping the original, it becomes a black background for some reason, I dunno what's causing this, but it only happens with background textures, it's normal if I don't apply the patch..

Also, how do I get rid of the white lines that pop up around the characters textures? I'm using D3D9 cause I can only use that.

Mmmm, can you show me images showcasing your problems, so that I, or someone else can identify the problem?

12-01-2017, 03:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/mw2axln.png

Image showcasing the missing Velvet Room background, and the whilte lines problem when characters blink.

The background not loading problem only happens with the new backgrounds.
12-01-2017, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2017 05:19 PM by [Unknown].)
Just a note: it may be obvious, but larger render resolution and larger textures require more video memory.

In fact, with texture scaling (not replacement), we have code that will automatically detect you've run out of video memory (if we didn't crash, which could also happen), and disable texture scaling. If you have reporting enabled, this gets reported - and we see it happen on various video cards, desktop and mobile, etc.

Texture replacement doesn't do this, so if you run out of video memory you're likely to just get black like that.

-[Unknown]
12-02-2017, 02:58 AM
(12-01-2017 03:47 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  https://i.imgur.com/mw2axln.png

Image showcasing the missing Velvet Room background, and the whilte lines problem when characters blink.

The background not loading problem only happens with the new backgrounds.

I don't know about the black backgrounds, but [Unknown] seems to know what he/she is talking about ^^ What I can explain are those white lines. Those are caused because of how the bustups you see are presented in the game. Characters usually have textures for their body and face, and other textures of just a portion of their face, which is displayed above the later, usually to change the facial expression (eyes from open to closed, or stuff like that).
Because you are rendering the game at a higher resolution, the base textures (the ones I haven't replaced yet) just get a simple upscale (unless you choose to use texture upscaling > xbrz), which usually results in those little gaps between the background image, and the one containing the changed facial expression. Igor and Elizabeth (inside the velvet room) for example don't suffer from this problem, because I have already upscaled all/some of their background textures and facial expressions.
Apart from Igor and Elizabeth I have finished working on Pharos and Theodore, almost finished Ryoji, and worked on Akihiko, but those aren't in the version I have uploaded because I started working on them later on. (They will be available in the next update Wink )
There are a lot of characters with different costumes, poses, and facial expressions, so drawing everyone will take me a while, but I'll get there ^^

Soo, long story short, to fix those white lines, you can either use Settings > Graphics > Texture Scaling > Upscale Type = xBRZ to fix the white lines on those I haven't upscaled yet (which are a lot), or wait for me to fix every single one Tongue xBRZ won't look really good for textures like that, but it will at least fix the white lines.

12-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Got it, thank you [Unknown] for letting me know why the background problem is happening, and hououin for helping finding the reason for the white lines, I'll wait until the next update! Perhaps you could include a changelog with version and date so it's better than posting again?

And also, if you could, try Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep FM HD Texture Pack! That would seriously increase how comparable the game would be with 2.5 HD Remix! I tried my attempts at HDifying the textures of the game, but failed at understanding how things work.
12-04-2017, 11:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 11:56 PM by hououin_kyouma.)
(12-02-2017 08:25 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  Got it, thank you [Unknown] for letting me know why the background problem is happening, and hououin for helping finding the reason for the white lines, I'll wait until the next update! Perhaps you could include a changelog with version and date so it's better than posting again?

And also, if you could, try Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep FM HD Texture Pack! That would seriously increase how comparable the game would be with 2.5 HD Remix! I tried my attempts at HDifying the textures of the game, but failed at understanding how things work.

Here is a demo comparison of how an HD Texture Pack for Birth By Sleep could look compared to the PS3 Remastered version (I just upscaled Ventus's clothes, a bit of the HUD and the floor). I think the psp version could look better/sharper with a proper pack.

PSP vs PS3

That being said, it's not in my plans for the moment ^^ The PS3 version looks pretty good anyways and has much better cutscenes, which I can't do anything about ^^

Something I might tackle later on is Crisis Core, which is psp exclusive. (Another title I wouldn't mind upscaling is Digimon World Re-Digitize)

12-06-2017, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2017 01:41 AM by AkiraJkr.)
Outside of the fonts, and the pixelated edges on a few items on the HUD, this looks really close to the HD Remaster :o
I'll fully support it if you ever decide in the future to do it, that'd give one more reason to replay the game again!

EDIT: By the way, how do you do it, to make the textures work on the game? I tried upscaling some for birth by sleep, but it didn't work sadly. I may try making it myself, and release a pack fully with hidef textures.

EDIT 2: And if you need someone to help you complete THIS pack, count on me! I just need to learn.
12-19-2017, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 05:59 PM by hououin_kyouma.)
(12-06-2017 06:29 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  Outside of the fonts, and the pixelated edges on a few items on the HUD, this looks really close to the HD Remaster :o
I'll fully support it if you ever decide in the future to do it, that'd give one more reason to replay the game again!

EDIT: By the way, how do you do it, to make the textures work on the game? I tried upscaling some for birth by sleep, but it didn't work sadly. I may try making it myself, and release a pack fully with hidef textures.

EDIT 2: And if you need someone to help you complete THIS pack, count on me! I just need to learn.

The problem with the textures in Birth by Sleep (and many other games) is that some of them get dumped with some wierd noice in the lower part, which ends up generating different copies of the same texture, with different names, since the name for the texture is actually a concatenation of this things: Address (bits 1-8) + CLUT (bits 9-16) + Data Hash (bits 17-24). Since the noice in the lower part changes, the Data Hash also changes, generating another texture, since that new texture has a name that no other has. That way, even if you replace the one you first found, the next time you play, the game will probably generate a slightly different one, with a diffferent Data Hash, and ppsspp will not replace it.

For textures like that I had to ignore the Data Hash part of the texture name like so:
0000000041f1852200000000 = Font/0000000041f1852200000000.png

The CLUT didn't change so I used that to identify those textures. I also ignored the address, but I don't remember if that was needed this time, I just always do it now (because it can change sometimes).

You ignore parts of the name (like the address or the data hash), by placing 8 cero's in that part of the name.

Example:
To ignore the Address you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 1-8.
0000000041f1852254561134 = font.png
To ignore the CLUT you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 9-16.
768413640000000054561134 = font.png
To ignore the Hash Data you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 17-24.
7684136441f1852200000000 = font.png

12-19-2017, 05:36 PM
@hououin_kyouma - you copy pasted(I guess) examples in your post and left "address" in all of them^~^

BTW we also have an option(available only if xxh64 or xxh32 hash is used) called reduceHash, it's potentially dangerous and should never be randomly used without preferably testing more of the game with it, but said option will calculate hash based on the first 50% of the texture, if there are any textures that are exactly same in those 50%, but differ in their lower half, that's where it will be problematic, but in some games where you'll not have such conflicts or they will be easily worked around using that option will:
- hopefully deal with all texture hash duplicates,
- speed up the hashing.

Example where I know it could be used ~ "SD Gundam G Generation Overworld" which also has unstable both address and texture hash, it "breaks" fonts there since game builds up font glyph by glyph generating new texture each time, but that's easily fixed by just replacing it with complete font texture that already has all glyphs which in the end also helps to replace all font with HD version by significantly reducing number of textures that has to be dumped for getting complete font;], might be safer in the end than using only clut hash:].

And another option called "ignoreAddress" which does exactly what it says, much safer since address in most games is unstable to begin with, but also only available when using xxh64 or xxh32 hash.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
12-19-2017, 05:59 PM
(12-19-2017 05:36 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  @hououin_kyouma - you copy pasted(I guess) examples in your post and left "address" in all of them^~^

BTW we also have an option(available only if xxh64 or xxh32 hash is used) called reduceHash, it's potentially dangerous and should never be randomly used without preferably testing more of the game with it, but said option will calculate hash based on the first 50% of the texture, if there are any textures that are exactly same in those 50%, but differ in their lower half, that's where it will be problematic, but in some games where you'll not have such conflicts or they will be easily worked around using that option will:
- hopefully deal with all texture hash duplicates,
- speed up the hashing.

Example where I know it could be used ~ "SD Gundam G Generation Overworld" which also has unstable both address and texture hash, it "breaks" fonts there since game builds up font glyph by glyph generating new texture each time, but that's easily fixed by just replacing it with complete font texture that already has all glyphs which in the end also helps to replace all font with HD version by significantly reducing number of textures that has to be dumped for getting complete font;], might be safer in the end than using only clut hash:].

And another option called "ignoreAddress" which does exactly what it says, much safer since address in most games is unstable to begin with, but also only available when using xxh64 or xxh32 hash.

Haha yeah, I copy pasted it, and forgot to fix it ^^ I'll fix it now, thanks for the correction ^^ I didn't know about the reduceHash option, thanks! I'll have to try it with some games with that problem to see if it causes any problems (Final Fantasy I, II, Digimon World Re-Digitize)

12-25-2017, 05:01 PM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack (WIP) - Update (2017-12-25)
By the way, are you gonna update Yukari's portrait so instead of the movie one, it matches her actual hair? It just...feels weird. Plus, will her image in her character info be updated from the render to a redrawn/upscaled version?
12-25-2017, 05:59 PM
(12-25-2017 05:01 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  By the way, are you gonna update Yukari's portrait so instead of the movie one, it matches her actual hair? It just...feels weird. Plus, will her image in her character info be updated from the render to a redrawn/upscaled version?

If you are talking about the one from the health bar in the Battle HUD and the Dungeon HUD, then I have replaced both with versions drawn from scratch (The one in battle is drawn with the PS2 version as base, and the Dungeon one from the ones in the PSP. I'll probably update those very soon to match the ones in battle, since I had a higher resolution image to use as base) ^^
And the image in the character info has been replaced with an upscaled version from the PS2 (I had forgotten about that rendered image for Yukari). I'll probably draw it from scratch eventually, but the upscale will have to do for now ^__^ The version I uploaded last night has a lot of changes, and those are included ^^
And yes, I aim for consistency, and being as faithful to the original as possible, so I will redraw/upscale most things, and maybe use a few backgrounds from the movie.

12-26-2017, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2017 06:46 PM by AkiraJkr.)
Yep! I just noticed that you threw a upscaled version from PS2 on her character info. Even if it doesn't look that good compared to FemMC, it is still better than a substitute image! You're doing a great job man, this is awesome!

EDIT: By the way, I was playing around with trying to put some textures on Birth by Sleep, mostly copy paste to waifu2x and then replaced with the usual Hashes thing, and interesting enough, whenever you change 'levels' the textures don't work anymore, only if you return to that level, which doesn't seem to be the case for the game's Main Menu.

I've compilated some screenshots of stuff I've did, if you wanna check out. But this is really weird behaviour.

https://pastebin.com/ceTZJWB4

And if you wish to try the pack to test the behaviour, here. Until I find a way to fix this problem throught every world, cutscene and menu, I don't think I can continue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/a3nw...JM05775.7z