Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ppsspp and my device resolution
03-12-2017, 05:52 PM
Ppsspp and my device resolution
Please can someone explain to me how my device resolution contributes to ppsspp's performance. I read on a particular website "the lower the resolution, the better the performance of ppsspp"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2017, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2017 09:04 PM by ZeroX4.)
RE: Ppsspp and my device resolution
(03-12-2017 05:52 PM)Endowed Wrote:  Please can someone explain to me how my device resolution contributes to ppsspp's performance. I read on a particular website "the lower the resolution, the better the performance of ppsspp"

[Image: resolutions-ultra-hd-4k-1080p-720p-dvd.png]

this picture represents some resolutions

now imagine if you need to draw a flower which touches top and bottom borders inside dvd resolution it will be fast and easy cause you got smal space to work with and use less paint and your own energy

but if i ask you to draw a flower which touches top and bottom borders inside ultra hd resolution it will take allot of time since its bigger space to work with and you will use much more paint and even so you will need to pay bigger attention to details cause its so big space you will need to try to make it look nice and it will devour your energy and will need some skills

and pretty much same goes to resolution of every frame which need to be drawn in certain resolution and on every frame you have pixels (dots like square bricks that build up the picture) and there is difference between making drawing in frame 720x480 which gives 345600 pixels
and frame of a resolution 3840x2160 which gives 8294400 pisels

and on top of that imagine every inch of space outside of ur flower borders need to be filled with some pixel too so imagine you need to fill pixel by pixel all spaces that are unused with lets say white paint

and now imagine how much difference is between drawing a frame in dvd resolution and ultra hd resolution

pretty much same principle goes for any game or emulation

bigger picture = more pixels > more energy and power is needed to draw it smoothly

so lower resolution consume less processing power which makes games/emulators run faster and smoother

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
03-12-2017, 11:37 PM
If you are using the buffered reaolution setting in PPSSPP (and you should unless the game crashes with it on.... ie very rare exceptions) then you have 3 resolutions to really worry about. (Note this assumes an android "device" since you mentioned device)
PPSSPP options
Rendering Resolution -- PSP internal resolution the is the resolution that everything on your "virtual PSP" is calculated based on (this is closer to changing a resolution inside of a game). Raising this will have the most inpact on how fast the emulator runs.

Display resolution (hw Scaler) -- this is the resolution of the images sent to your screen. If this was a pc this would be the windowed resolution or if you select (native) then that would be like full screen. However since android does not really do "windowed mode" it then gets adjusted by your device to the screen's resolution (much like how if you watch a 480p video in youtube it gets streched to be fullscreen if your device has a higher resolution) changing this has an effect on performance but not as drastic as rendering resolution.

Physical device
Screen resolution -- this is the resolution of your device and for the most part it is unchangable (there ar some root tools and a samsung program that can, but testing it on my 2560x1440 did not improve performance in PPSSPP since I could set display resolution seprate already) performance gains vs effort .... depends on emulator and on the device, but questionable.

Some side info
1x psp = 480 x 272
2x psp = 960 x 544
3x psp = 1440 x 816
4x psp = 1920 x 1088
5x psp = 2400 x 1360
03-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Oh my God, thanks so much for the reply. My android device has a 1280*920 resolution so i guess i should be okay even if i set ppsspp to native device resolution