Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is a client like "Fightcade" possible for PPSSPP with GGPO support?
01-02-2017, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2017 08:08 PM by Haseeb.)
Lightbulb Is a client like "Fightcade" possible for PPSSPP with GGPO support?
Hi guys! Seeing that PPSSPP has developed a big community and especially great multiplayer capabilities. I'm just thinking that if we could have a client like Fightcade , where we have battle lobbies , chat and players we could challenge.
And MOST IMPORTANTLY , the netcode GGPO. GGPO is a wonderful invention as far as I've seen yet , like converting 300-500 ms ping to lagless offline experience. Normally it's even hard to find players from your own region and playing with high latency is painful , but with GGPO , that isn't the problem anymore. I'm pretty sure PSP games can use that roll back technique. Smile I would love to have such a client and big community for gamers. That would be amazing.
So do you think it's possible to implement that?
I request the developers to please consider making that , maybe even a patreon or some support so devs can make it , I'm sure people would willingly support.

Cheers! Smile

The Signature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2017, 08:20 AM
RE: Is a client like "Fightcade" possible for PPSSPP with GGPO support?
Well PPSSPP is released under GNU GPL so as long as you follow the license you should be able to make a version with any online code you wish or port it however you wish (read the license to make sure you are following it)

GGPO is proprietary So that opens up a whole can of worms in wanting to use any of the code and or to mix license types.

That is the boring legal part of the issues

The more fun issues is roll back works fairly well if the system can predict what the player is going to input and if that system is correct a good majority of the time. For 2d fighting games this can work to a reasonable extent since inputs are easier to predict. (If you start a QCF move with RYU the code can predict a punch comming next)

If you are playing monster hunter player's input becomes less predictable and the main advantages of ggpo roll back technique becomes more of a hindrance then an advantage. With multiple roll backs happing all the time you would end up with not only the normal lag but then the lag from the extra overhead.

So for select PSP games (mainly the fighting games) it might be possible, but for most of the other (action adventure, racing, others) it probably would cause more issues then advantages.
01-03-2017, 10:10 AM
RE: Is a client like "Fightcade" possible for PPSSPP with GGPO support?
(01-03-2017 08:20 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  Well PPSSPP is released under GNU GPL so as long as you follow the license you should be able to make a version with any online code you wish or port it however you wish (read the license to make sure you are following it)

GGPO is proprietary So that opens up a whole can of worms in wanting to use any of the code and or to mix license types.

That is the boring legal part of the issues

The more fun issues is roll back works fairly well if the system can predict what the player is going to input and if that system is correct a good majority of the time. For 2d fighting games this can work to a reasonable extent since inputs are easier to predict. (If you start a QCF move with RYU the code can predict a punch comming next)

If you are playing monster hunter player's input becomes less predictable and the main advantages of ggpo roll back technique becomes more of a hindrance then an advantage. With multiple roll backs happing all the time you would end up with not only the normal lag but then the lag from the extra overhead.

So for select PSP games (mainly the fighting games) it might be possible, but for most of the other (action adventure, racing, others) it probably would cause more issues then advantages.

Ah I see your point. Although as you said , GGPO can work good with mainly fighting games , I think it can also work good with many other similar competitive games. GGPO uses a lot of memory to load all kind of possible outcomes from a roll of dice. As most of the PSP games did not contain too much commands , I think it can work well. Because if you look at games like King of Fighters , that GGPO currently supports , each punch in that game is 3 frame. And even if you hit that punch on 300ms ping , it would register , without any delay. Considering that a person in King of Fighters could do like 10 types of different 3 frame moves. So how does that register punch so quick? Well probably because it's one of the loaded outcomes in memory.
Now if you look at PSP games , consider Tekken , each punch is 7-8 frames . Which would be much easier to process but would take a lot of memory for sure.
So I think , it's definitely possible to use GGPO with a lot of PSP games.
At least that's what I think Smile

The Signature!