Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can't see my buddy on my own AdhocServer
11-14-2016, 06:44 PM
Can't see my buddy on my own AdhocServer
So basically getting straight to the point.
I have set up an AdHocServer using Linux since i am a HUGE tunngle/hamachi hater as it has caused me a LOT of problems in the past, it works pretty okay i guess, i can see my friend and i both connecting to the server in the console, but we can't see each other in the gathering hall in MHFU, we've tried several versions of PPSSPP, always using the same settings.
We are running the EU version of mhfu if that makes any difference.
is there any way to get it to work without using hamachi and such?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2016, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2016 07:39 PM by tywald.)
RE: Can't see my buddy on my own AdhocServer
If you are not going to use a VPN then try opening the following ports:
UDP: 10000, 20001-20004

Try to put your server in DMZ.

Why VPN works is because it tunnels traffic to a single port. I have the same problem when I host with my real IP but no problem with a VPN.

coldbird.net should still work if you want to use a different host but you might run into random people.
11-14-2016, 07:54 PM
well.. im running the adhocserver off my linux box which SHOULD have all the ports open, i havent had any success with coldbird.net cause i cant enable DMZ in my router sadly
11-14-2016, 10:08 PM
As far as I understand, if you're connecting through router, then you have to forward those ports on the router, same for your friend. Linux or what else you're running the server or clients on, doesn't matter unless you have a software firewall that also needs to allow ppsspp to connect.
PPSSPP could port forward using UPnP, but someone with specific knowledge has to code it and most of the time we don't have anyone working on adhoc at all, it's also very messy compared to rest of the project and likely not too inviting for new developers:].

In case of PPSSPP adhoc feature, linux gives no advantage, in fact puts you in disadvantage compared to windows due to not allowing ports under 1024 which psp games often use. That requires elevated priviledges or port offset which AFAIK still have some bug found recently, but lucky for you, MH games aren't affected.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
11-19-2016, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2016 02:43 PM by Adhenovan.)
Have your port all open on the server side is only halfway to host the adhocserver over internet.
Adhoc server is only the middleware to do operation code like matching, login, chatting and such.

the game itself do P2P connection on its own. that means All client must open all the port or port that games and server needed to be able communicate to other client with same games.

the other problem running it over internet is NAT , Firewall, closed port on every client that connect to adhocserver,
even adhoc server machine itself open all port the client is not always able to open all port needed by games, or the client behind a NAT , blocked by firewall etc that intterupt / block the connection.

the provided solution for blocked client connection is enable DMZ which is not available on every router or people playing using cellular data (GSM connection)

Additionally to LunaMoo comment UPNP support itself only help a bit because pro adhoc server code now is still using IP to connect each client with same games. some one need to rework on that server and use MAC Address instead. with the current implementation only 1 client can connect to the server using 1 public ip its a another critical problem that need to solve by implement tunneling feature into PPSSPP that tunnel port used by games to a single port and then forward it.

All above problem is easily solved by vpn because vpn assign ip to the client and do LAN over Internet.which solve NAT problem, Closed Port problem between client and IP problem.

Experimenting with adhoc over internet system through Amultios custom ppsspp fork, find me in game

Monster Hunter Freedom : Lucis
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite : Lucis
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: Lucis