The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 795 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 795 errorHandler->error

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[Bug(?)] Phantasy Star Portable 2 and the Port Offset Conundrum
10-15-2016, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2016 08:37 PM by Wishdream.)
Bug [Bug(?)] Phantasy Star Portable 2 and the Port Offset Conundrum
Phantasy Star Portable 2 and The Port Offset Conundrum
First of all hi!

I'm not exactly new at PPSSPP and I forgot my old account so I know what I'm saying.
I'll make it brief.

For the past few days I've been trying to play with others on Phantasy Star Portable 2.
The problem is when the users use port offsetting. With the recent 1.2.2 and 1.3, we hadn't been able to connect at all but not to a point we can't see each other.

We have a pretty diverse setup, 1 on Linux, 2 on Windows, 1 on Android.
It's pretty easy to get the game working on all platforms though, we use port offset.
The port offset has to be > 1024.
[Image: W8HXyG8.png][Image: xVN4g2q.png]
Both Linux and Windows on the same server.

Note: This will not work on a PSP and impossible to let a PSP connect if you use Port Offset.

The Problem

In order to play with Android and Linux, you'll need to port offset.
At first it seems to work, but then you will experience the following:
  • Port Offset is set > 1024, so we use port 5000 (For Port Offset to work, you'll have to restart your PPSSPP. Otherwise, you might be still using whatever port you have on Port Offset)
  • It all works good in the party formation lobby, we can see ourselves and able to form a full party.
  • The moment you start the game though, everyone else black screens.
  • The host is stuck on an endless walk cycle waiting.
  • After a few moments, all players disconnect and get sent back to the lobby or the Title Screen.

Now, I want to work with people to fix this. Mostly because the people affected are non-Windows users. I've tested this in pretty much most circumstances.

Here's the results:
Test Setup Config
  • Fast Memory - OFF
  • Port Offset - 5000
  • Hamachi IP Connection
  • All 32-bit Versions
  • No Hacks
  • Alternative Speed = Unlimited
  • Tested on both using Wine and Native on Linux

Hosting Solo and Multi Party on Adhoc, Port Offset - No Port Offset
[Image: L2g5Tt7.png]
  • Windows - Lobby Only - Stuck walking on start - Works on Port 0
  • Linux (Debian & Arch) - Lobby Only - Stuck walking on start - Works on Port 0 via Sudo & Custom Build
  • Android - Lobby Only - Stuck walking on start - Not working at all
  • PSP - Port 0 Only, obviously works but will not work with Port Offset
Joining Multi Party on Adhoc, Port Offset - No Port Offset
[Image: 8CDn5yL.png]
  • Windows - Lobby Only - Blank screen on start - Works on Port 0
  • Linux (Debian & Arch) - Lobby Only - Blank screen on start - Works on Port 0 via Sudo & Custom Build
  • Android - Lobby Only - Blank screen on start - Not working at all
  • PSP - Port 0 Only, obviously works but will not work with Port Offset

Note: This method has been tried and does happen in coldbird.net, myneighborsushicat.com, localhost/127.0.0.1, Hamachi, Evolve and OpenVPN.

I want to create a seamless experience between all platforms for those who want to play this game.
Let me hear your solutions and show if you experience the same thing.

Let's help debug this so we can sort this out for other games too.

P.S. The port offset problem occurs on all systems. And yes, Windows & Windows with No Port Offset has been tried and I am well aware that it works.
So please, if you are only here to say Windows & Windows - No Port Offset so it would work... you are not really helping.

The goal of this thread is to eliminate the Port Offset problem of PSP2 as well as other games displaying the same symptoms.
Thank You
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
[Bug(?)] Phantasy Star Portable 2 and the Port Offset Conundrum - Wishdream - 10-15-2016 03:36 PM