Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Persistent DirectX Errors
08-12-2016, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2016 08:31 PM by xirtamehtsitahw.)
Persistent DirectX Errors
I've tried everything I can think of, but I can't escape the persistent DirectX 9 errors that keep popping up.

Here is a list of all errors I've encountered:

"Failed Initializing Graphics. Try upgrading your graphics drivers and DirectX 9 Runtime. Would you like to try switching to OpenGL? Error message: unable to compile shaders. The specified module could not be found." (Occurs if I have no .dll files or d3dx9_42.dll in the PPSSPP root folder)

"The procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll." (Occurs if I have Opengl32.dll in the PPSSPP root folder)

"The procedure entry point_ftol2 could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll." (Occurs if I have d3d9.dll, but not OpenGL32.dll, in the PPSSPP root folder)

Even stranger is the fact that this emulator worked fine in DirectX 9 mode when I had Windows 7 on my machine. I've since downgraded mainly to get rid of that annoying "This copy of Windows is not genuine" message (I had to replace Windows 7 due to it crashing, and was stuck with a 'pirate' copy of Windows 7). Maybe if I re-upgrade to Windows 7 it'll enable PPSSPP to work again...? Otherwise, I'm at a total loss as to what to do to get rid of these irritating errors. (And sorry for the big block of text.)

EDIT: Seriously, 56 views and not ONE single response to this post? Is it that I have somehow encountered a series of errors in a certain way that no one else has ever encountered, and therefore no one knows how to deal with it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2016, 10:07 PM
RE: Persistent DirectX Errors
Seeing as how no one seems to want to respond to this post, I'll have to bump it to keep it above all those annoying spambots with their ads (which should NOT be allowed on here, but they get through somehow).

This way, it will be all the more visible.

I need info regarding what to do to eliminate these aggravating errors I keep getting when trying to start the 32-bit Windows version of PPSSPP.

It was either double-post on this post or start a new, identical-themed post, in order to eventually get someone to help me with this problem.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules here.
08-17-2016, 03:43 AM
You need to install DirectX 9 through a Microsoft installer package for it to work properly. Dropping random DLLs isn't going to work, because those DLLs don't work with other things on your computer.

Putting the right DLLs on your computer is the installer's entire purpose in life. It lives for that moment.

What video card are you using?

-[Unknown]
08-17-2016, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2016 12:12 PM by xirtamehtsitahw.)
I don't even have a video card to speak of. My laptop only runs on an integrated graphics driver (Intel HD Graphics, I believe).

But...don't tell me that I actually need a video card, as I actually got PPSSPP to run when I still had Windows 7 on this machine.

And as for installing DirectX 9, I've tried that twice already, with no sign of it ever having actually installed.

EDIT: Just installed Directx 9 AGAIN, and the emulator STILL throws those aggravating errors.

Is it possible the emulator is set to look for the DirectX 9 files in the wrong place? (as in, look for them where they would be in Vista or Windows 7, rather than where they are in Windows XP)?

If all else fails, I may have to simply buy an external CD/DVD drive (my internal one crapped out on me), and install Windows 7 again, just to force this recalcitrant emulator to work.
08-17-2016, 01:18 PM
Well, an Intel integrated GPU is still a GPU.

Make sure to remove all the DLLs from the PPSSPP folder. The emulator just uses Windows' standard DLL lookup - it will look in the Windows install directories by default, but if there are DLLs in the same folder, it'll use those instead. This is how all programs work.

Things like "point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll" typically mean that you're using a DLL that isn't meant for your msvcrt.dll. The msvcrt.dll is also a system file, the Visual C++ Runtime. An example would be using a Windows 7 opengl32.dll with a Windows XP msvcrt.dll - that would cause these errors.

"Error message: unable to compile shaders. The specified module could not be found." means it cannot find d3dx9, which is part of the DirectX 9 installation. These files should all be in Windows\system32.

-[Unknown]
08-17-2016, 10:10 PM
I reinstalled Windows 7 on my laptop, so it should be able to handle PPSSPP now.

Wish me luck...Wink
08-17-2016, 11:38 PM
Did it work, now I am curious.
08-18-2016, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 08-18-2016 01:30 AM by xirtamehtsitahw.)
Nope, it STILL doesn't work. It's as if the version of PPSSPP I downloaded is programmed to throw that error, no matter what. The same old "D3DX DLL not found!" error keeps popping up, as if it has become part of PPSSPP itself.

What directory does PPSSPP look for the DirectX files in? That might clue me in as to how to finally put an end to this nonsense.

EDIT: YES!!! I finally found out how to force this stubborn emulator to work! I just had to find the full DirectX runtime (June 2010) that including EVERYTHING (directX 9, 10 and 11). Now PPSSPP starts up right away.

Time to start kicking WWE butt in HD! Big Grin

Oh, and this thread can now be closed. Wink