Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
4 cores or 8 cores?
07-25-2016, 12:32 PM
4 cores or 8 cores?
Hi guys, i have a question for us, for good work ppsspp is better a htc one m9 (8 cores) o samsung galaxy note 4 (4 cores)?
Is more important CPU or GPU?
adreno 430 is fine?
I wana play tekken 6 in ppsspp, who smartphone is better for this game

Thanks a lot for yours answers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2016, 11:25 PM
RE: 4 cores or 8 cores?
What matters the most is the speed of a single core, for PCs as long as you have at least a 1.6Ghz you'll probably be fine, i assume the range for mobiles would be similar, though the htc one m9 seems to have superior cpu, it doesn't just have 8 cores, it has 2 quad core cpus, both different, i dunno if that could make something go awry.
07-25-2016, 11:41 PM
It depends which Samsung Galaxy Note 4.

HTC One M9: Quad 2.0Ghz / Quad 1.5Ghz + Adreno 430 1080p
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (A): Quad 1.9Ghz / Quad 1.3 Ghz + Mali-T760 MP6 1440p
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (B): Quad 2.7 GHz + Adreno 420 1440p

Of the above options, I'm not sure. Maybe the 2.7Ghz? The number of cores is the least important thing here, actually. Let me explain:

* 1440p will look nicer, but be slower than, 1080p.
* PSP games are written for a device with a single core. PPSSPP tries to "push the envelope" but that mostly means using 2 cores. The benefit of a third and fourth core is tiny for PPSSPP.
* 8 core ARM devices are actually 4 core. They use the 4 better cores when playing games, and the 4 weaker cores when doing easy stuff like playing music. So all of these devices are basically quad core devices.
* Mali-T760 MP6 may be better due to heat than the Adreno 430: https://www.quora.com/Which-is-a-better-...dragon-810 (question for a MP8 but it's basically the same problem)
* Both GPUs should support Vulkan but I'm not sure if the older phone will get Nougat, so that may be a factor too. Vulkan is a new graphics API that PPSSPP is starting to support, and it'll probably be faster.

Personally, I'm waiting for the new 5" Nexus hopefully coming out later this year with Nougat. I'm expecting good performance, but we'll see.

-[Unknown]
07-26-2016, 02:14 AM
wow thanks for thats answers

in conclution i need 3 factors for good emulations for ppsspp

1.- smarthphone compatible with android N, for the API VULCAN
2.- better powerfull cores (2.3 to up) because ppsspp just need 2 cores for gaming emulation
3.- adreno 430 o superior

soo in conclution i most buy the galaxy note 4 (2.7 ghz) beacuse get the upgrade to android N, and have a good GPU, rigth?
07-26-2016, 02:38 AM
The galaxy note phone is extremely region dependent on which version you get. With different radio interfaces (the thing that talks to cell towers) being one of the main reasons why. So depending on where you live and your carrier the qualcom version might not work as an actual phone which should (arguably) be more important then your fps in PPSSPP.
07-26-2016, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 08:26 PM by Peleg.)
(07-25-2016 11:41 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  * Both GPUs should support Vulkan but I'm not sure if the older phone will get Nougat, so that may be a factor too. Vulkan is a new graphics API that PPSSPP is starting to support, and it'll probably be faster.

-[Unknown]

Where i can read about Vulkan, i little bit getting interested Rolleyes

Also i want ask about which phone (Meizu M3 Note Or Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Or OnePlus One) will do the best performance on ppsspp..

Thanks!
07-27-2016, 04:29 AM
The redmi note 3 has the more modern GPU and CPU 64bit and should be vulkan compatible (driver and android veraion dependent)

The OnePlus One is using a top teir processor just 2 year old one though instead of a new mid teir one. The 801 is a faster processor with an older gpu and no 64bit or vulkan support.

The m3 note is using a processor that is not even a comparison so unless you can get it for 1/4 the cost of either of the other ones and want to seriously compromise I would not consider it.

Which is better? The OPO is the powerhouse of the past and handles PPSSPP well for most android compatible titles and is a solid choice. The redmi note 3 might end up the superior choice if vulkan support and some other enhancements give significant performance boosts.

So it is up to you on whether or not you want more performance today or the possibility of better performance in the future
07-29-2016, 04:05 AM
https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/
https://developer.nvidia.com/Vulkan

These are places to start so far, it's really a coding thing. I think there was a video somewhere that had devs explaining in less technical terms, but not sure where that was now...

-[Unknown]