Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[how-to] Better game play for newbs ;)
03-24-2013, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 05:05 PM by murgero.)
[how-to] Better game play for newbs ;)
EDIT: I forgot some simple warnings in the original post.

First off, This is not recommended by any said, or non-said manufacturer.
Therefore, You are ding this at your own risk, on your own time, and by doing said tutorial, you hereby claim that you and only you are responsible for any and all "bricks" or broken hardware.

****THIS TUTORIAL USES NUMBERS AND NAMES BASED OFF THE SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 US CELLULAR VARIANT.

Okay so you got a working game.

Is it running at 20fps?

Too slow but kinda playable at some parts?

Here is what you need to get it running to at least 45-60FPS(on most dual-core/Quad-core devices)

-Custom Kernal for your device that supports Overclocking and Under/Over volting(google for your device at XDA Forums)

-Custom ROM (Usually Cyanogenmod is GREAT, but some phones do not support this rom, AOSP/AOKP)<-(google for your device at XDA Forums)

-Time

So after getting the required above, follow the steps to flash each to your device. (Again google, youtube and XDA Forums is your BEST FRIEND)
If the Kernel came with an application for over clocking, use that, other wise, your overclock settings are in settings (Or market for older devices use SetCPU)

Use the following settings:

Max CPU Frequency: Check with the provider of the Custom Kernel for maximum SAFE frequency.
Min CPU Frequency: Use a frequency that is anywhere from 200-400 mhz lower than the max you set. (Prevents Frying the CPU)

Set the govenor: ondemand OR Performance (either is good, but i usually suggest ondemand for better battery and performance for slightly older devices like the samsung galaxy S2/ Motorola Atrix)

If your Kernel supports it (KTOONSEZ Kernel for Samsung S3 for example)
Set touch profile 1 to max Mhz <- Only some kernels support this!!!
Set Touch profile 2 to max Mhz <- Only some kernels support this!!!

Now time for the emulator:
For most games, i recommend using the latest PPSSPP Build off the homepage here (Some case require an older build, same settings apply!)

Settings for MOST NOT ALL GAMES:

Enable:

Buffered Rendering <- might actually lower performance, but improves Display, use this one how you want
Hardware Transform (If supported by device)
Vertex Cache
JIT(Dynarec) WITH FASTMEM <- most cases it does help but some games may crash and burn with FASTMEM on.

Well thats it, if any update is needed, I will do so.

Otherwise, enjoy!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2013, 02:07 PM
RE: [how-to] Better game play for newbs ;)
Overclocking to use emulator or gaming will force your phone CPU to work on maximum clockspeed, no matter what setting you choose it will be same.
I have burn two of my phone because of overclocking Big Grin
RIP : My 1st android phone Xperia X8, and My second android phone Xperia MiniPro Sad

------
My Devices :
• Sony Xperia Z1, 2.2GHz QuadCore, Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330
• DG41RQ, Core2Duo, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9500GT 1GB
-------
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 02:20 PM by Carter07.)
wow, you really burned 2 phones? Sad
did they become really hot? I guess that when you were playing the phones closed themself and didn't boot again, right?
03-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Quote:Max CPU Frequency: Well the max allowed! e.g for the Samsung GalaxyS3 use at least 2106Mhz

Min CPU Frequency: Use a frequency that is anywhere from 200-400 mhz lower than the max you set. (Prevents Frying the CPU)

Min CPU does not prevent frying your processer, it is tick over speed (Basic meaning - it keeps enought processing power to keep background apps happy while device is asleep or idle).

Max CPU is the one to be worried about. "e.g for the Samsung GalaxyS3 use at least 2106Mhz" this is bad advice as your S3 wont last long at this clock speed (I belive stock is 1400Mhz so this is a 50% increase = Fry Time!!)
03-24-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 03:43 PM by ket_kul.)
(03-24-2013 02:18 PM)Carter07 Wrote:  wow, you really burned 2 phones? Sad
did they become really hot? I guess that when you were playing the phones closed themself and didn't boot again, right?

Yes they become really hot.
When I'm playing the phone just died. And when I'm pressing power button but no response at all, No LED, No vibration, Nothing.
And battery drain is unbelievable. I charge X8 for 1,5 hour and use it to play only for 30 minutes. Big Grin

------
My Devices :
• Sony Xperia Z1, 2.2GHz QuadCore, Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330
• DG41RQ, Core2Duo, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 9500GT 1GB
-------
03-24-2013, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2013 05:01 PM by murgero.)
(03-24-2013 03:29 PM)Poo-Tang Wrote:  
Quote:Max CPU Frequency: Well the max allowed! e.g for the Samsung GalaxyS3 use at least 2106Mhz

Min CPU does not prevent frying your processer, it is tick over speed (Basic meaning - it keeps enought processing power to keep background apps happy while device is asleep or idle).

Max CPU is the one to be worried about. "e.g for the Samsung GalaxyS3 use at least 2106Mhz" this is bad advice as your S3 wont last long at this clock speed (I belive stock is 1400Mhz so this is a 50% increase = Fry Time!!)

The max I can clock without any side effects is 2545Mhz or close to.

2106 is only 300Mhz past the max allowed by samsung (Based off the second gen S3 with LTE)

Also Ive been running at 2106Mhz for about 2 weeks now no problems except battery life. (Duh.)

Warnings updated.
03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Also, using an overclock method is not dangerous except in extreme cases

Example: you default clock speed is say 1024Mhz, overclocking to 2106Mhz Obviously is NOT a good idea.

BUT if your clock speed is 1024Mhz and you overclock to about 1200-1300 for less then a couple hours at a time, there is no real danger.
As long as the voltage used for the over clock is changed as well, which most Kernels will calculate and do automatically.