Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Do you have any plans to add VR / Stereoscopic 3D Support?
06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Do you have any plans to add VR / Stereoscopic 3D Support?
I dont know if you have any plans for this at this point, or if its not even possible, but do you have any plans to add VR / Stereoscopic 3D Support for android (Gear VR, Daydream) or even PC.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016, 10:16 PM
RE: Do you have any plans to add VR / Stereoscopic 3D Support?
(06-07-2016 05:56 PM)Abz786 Wrote:  I dont know if you have any plans for this at this point, or if its not even possible, but do you have any plans to add VR / Stereoscopic 3D Support for android (Gear VR, Daydream) or even PC.
Hi there,
If you start your game of choice, press your go back button to access the PPSSPP pause menu, go to settings then on the graphics tab, scroll down to Google Cardboard option, tick that, and also change size of left & right images, from default 50% up to 100%(Half screen).

Hope that's of help,
Have fun. Cool
06-08-2016, 01:46 AM
Well, that's just cinema screen. It's not really VR.

There is a project that attempts to make this work for some games, but it's a fork. It involves a few things:

* Game-specific hacks. Only games that have been hacked worked, and sometimes they are buggy.
* I think it's only compatible with the Oculus Rift?
* AFAIK, it's linking with code that technically makes it a problem to distribute due to how the Oculus SDK is licensed.
* It's based on an older version of PPSSPP and I don't think it's being updated to use the latest PPSSPP code.
* The games that work generally have to be patched I think, although it's automatic.
* The hacks may be reducing performance (somewhat necessarily), so it may not run as well on phones.

Perhaps we will do something for VR at some point, but I would personally not like to go down the road to purgatory with such significant hacks.

All that being said, I think for the games it does fully support (search for "ppssppvr"), it's said to run pretty well. I've not tried it.

-[Unknown]
10-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Hello Unknown and Henrik, I hope you guys are doing well. Thanks again for bringing us this fantastic emulator!

Unknown....It looks like the gentlemen you refer to in your post, Carl Kenner, who started the PPSSPP-VR project, has disappeared completely from the VR scene altogether after the whole mess with Palmer Luckey, and he's shown no interest in coming back. This is so incredibly sad.

Is it possible you guys could potentially finish where he left off? I understand his work was very preliminary but it did show some promise. Are any of you planning on taking ppsspp down this road? If not then do you know of anyone that would? Because it would be extremely awesome to be able to play some of these games in VR. The only game I really want to play in all honesty is Ridge Racer 2. With the last release of ppsspp-vr, you can get in the game, and get on race track, but from there it's a graphical mess and completely unplayable.

Please chime in with your thoughts and let us know what the future holds for this endeavor. A proper and more polished VR fork of this emulator would be insanely appreciated!

Thanks for listening guys and keep up the great work! Smile
01-30-2018, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2018 01:35 AM by BenMcLean.)
Oh man. This is really sad. I found this amazing video where a guy got Crisis Core working in PPSSPP-VR and I was thinking, "Whoah, the holodeck is real!" but this thread is where all searches end up. Seems like this would give us access to many high quality games to play in VR, but development on it was just dropped like an AIDS-infected hot potato and now we're never gonna see more PSP games in VR. Sad

I can't even attempt to work on it myself because I don't have a good enough GPU for VR and GPU prices have shot up to cost more than one's entire rig used to cost. I kinda dreamed that maybe this had been made for the Android version of PPSSPP, but no. Side by side 2D rendering with no stereoscopic 3D might be nice for some people to have but doesn't interest me personally at all. In VR, it must have either stereoscopic 3D or head tracking or preferably both for me to be interested. If it lacks these things, I'd rather play on a traditional screen.
01-30-2018, 10:17 AM
It took 2s to google VR branch without remembering it's author or any of the details:
https://github.com/CarlKenner/ppsspp/tree/VR
;p
Either way that branch will never be merged/officially supported, it's way too hackish and has lots of things which people simply don't want to be part of PPSSPP project, it's not worth messing up emulator for everyone, just to allow tiny minority which are crazy for VR to have access to few buggy games.

Overall idea of trying to force "new experience" like VR to old games is just bad as VR itself only works well in games designed for it in mind from start to finish.
Youtubers are generating hype for everything because they earn money out of such hype, old games in VR aren't incredible and watching dudes screeming how awsome something is and hitting their head multiply times(and behaving like they did many times more out of camera) is not even considered entertainment to many of us.

If there's a reason why VR-ing projects disappear over time it's probably because more actual VR games started appearing and people who tried to force VR to old games realized how awful their attempts were compared to the real thing, they probably only did it, because they got expensive hardware and had nothing to use it with as that's how VR looked few years ago;p. It was a complete waste of money which gave you an early revision of hardware suffering from low resolution and a few demos to play with, times changed.

Cardboard support might not have such "hype" behind it, but is actually far more practical since it simulates big screen using tiny screen without ruining the actual game with hacks and glitches.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-30-2018, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2018 12:57 PM by BenMcLean.)
(01-30-2018 10:17 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  It took 2s to google VR branch without remembering it's author or any of the details:
https://github.com/CarlKenner/ppsspp/tree/VR
I didn't say I failed to find that guy's branch. My comment about development being halted was based on having found it. Thanks for linking it though, because that might help people searching online find it easier and I should have linked it for that reason. However, for me personally right now, I can't play it because I only have Gear VR and Daydream and I can't afford a GPU good enough for VR on PC right now because GPU prices have skyrocketed due to crypto mining. This whole situation is super frustrating for me. Hopefully soon I'll either save up enough money or crypto mining will crash resulting in lots of cheap used GPUs being sold off.

(01-30-2018 10:17 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Either way that branch will never be merged/officially supported, it's way too hackish and has lots of things which people simply don't want to be part of PPSSPP project, it's not worth messing up emulator for everyone, just to allow tiny minority which are crazy for VR to have access to few buggy games.
I understand that branch is quite buggy and old, so trying to merge it would probably be more trouble than it's worth for PPSSPP developers. But it does seem like a great feature which it is very disappointing to find out nobody's working on at all anymore. Even if they don't want to do head tracking, just doing stereoscopic 3D on Cardboard would be nice. (duplicating the same screen in both eyes may be stereoscopic in some sense, but it's not stereoscopic 3D) Maybe trying to rebuild some VR features in a more technically robust manner. I might even give building it a shot myself at some point (or at least trying to upgrade that guy's PPSSPP-VR to support more headsets) if I get the necessary hardware.

(01-30-2018 10:17 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Overall idea of trying to force "new experience" like VR to old games is just bad as VR itself only works well in games designed for it in mind from start to finish.
The previous parts of your post made sense, but this is nonsense. PPSSPP already adds a new experience to old games by bringing them to HD resolutions when the PSP's original screen resolution was only approximately half of 480p. Bringing new experiences to old games is always great and it makes no sense at all on any level for anyone to ever claim otherwise.

Nothing you can say is going to convince me that "old games in VR aren't incredible" because I have seen the truth for myself from playing Doom and Quake on Gear VR. The grenades that the trolls shoot at you in Quake bounce right into your face! That's incredible. The only major problem QuakeGVR has is bad controls. (I want to play with mouse+keyboard but these are not supported properly)

Ross Scott has done three great informative videos on the issues surrounding bringing stereoscopic 3D support to old games here, here and here and so far my limited tests with Cardboard, Gear VR and Daydream confirm he is absolutely right about the merits of bringing old games into stereoscopic 3D.

(01-30-2018 10:17 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Youtubers are generating hype for everything because they earn money out of such hype, old games in VR aren't incredible and watching dudes screeming how awsome something is and hitting their head multiply times(and behaving like they did many times more out of camera) is not even considered entertainment to many of us.
I wasn't referring to how that guy (who I'd never seen before finding that video) was acting, but only to what he was doing -- playing Crisis Core in VR with both stereoscopic 3D and head tracking! That's amazing!

(01-30-2018 10:17 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Cardboard support might not have such "hype" behind it, but is actually far more practical since it simulates big screen using tiny screen without ruining the actual game with hacks and glitches.
PPSSPP does not actually have proper Cardboard support because games with actual Cardboard support will display in stereoscopic 3D. That would be the whole point of trying to play PSP games with a Cardboard visor IMO and it's not supported AFAIK. My understanding is that PPSSPP currently just duplicates the same picture on both eyes which appears flat. It does not use the 3D geometry in the game to differentiate between the two eyes to create depth perception, which is what proper Cardboard support would involve. Although I'd love to find out I'm wrong. I haven't gotten to try it yet. I'll give it a shot soon I guess.
01-30-2018, 04:29 PM
3d doesn't make anything proper. Cardboard requires doubled image for all content including non stereoscopic, which is the case of PPSSPP.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
01-30-2018, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2018 05:23 PM by BenMcLean.)
There's no value to "Cardboard support" which has no headtracking and is flat. That's like a music player that "supports mp3" because it can extract text data from id3 tags but doesn't actually play the audio. Or like an automobile that technically runs because the engine will burn gasoline but which does not actually turn the wheels to go anywhere. Sure, it'll do something with "support" like that, but not something valuable.
01-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Actually there is, it was added for same reason why video players have it, to simulate huge screen on a tiny screen. Cardboard has much more value than just stupid VR with it's headtracking or stereoscopic 3D. It's perfect solution for modern life where HDTV's aren't desirable anymore.

Sorry, but your compare to music player is just dumb and the automobile one didn't even had sense, PPSSPP displays graphics, cardboard makes that graphics appear as on big screen. With music it would be rather like a 5.1 simulation on headphones. With cars cardboard would be like smart, you can move around just fine, but it takes much less space which in modern world especially while living in crowded city is more important than a village show off who's got bigger.

01-30-2018, 10:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2018 10:13 PM by BenMcLean.)
(01-30-2018 10:10 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Actually there is, it was added for same reason why video players have it
Because 3D.

(01-30-2018 10:10 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  to simulate huge screen on a tiny screen.
That doesn't actually work. You get an objectively better picture quality just holding your phone without the goggles.
01-30-2018, 10:19 PM
No, video players have it for 2D content as well and that's how adding that feature was justified. You also don't get a better picture quality, merely higher resolution and that depends on your device.
Some phones have displays that allow higher pixel density than their default resolution used for system exactly for stuff like cardboard which using also removes all light sources and allows you to feel like in cinema which is much better than "holding"(and less tiresome) your phone near your eyes.

3D is a gimmick which most people got bored quickly again and for the xx time in history it failed to became a standard, live with it.

01-30-2018, 10:32 PM
(01-30-2018 10:19 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  You also don't get a better picture quality, merely higher resolution and that depends on your device.
Higher resolution on a high resolution video is what higher picture quality means.

(01-30-2018 10:19 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  removes all light sources and allows you to feel like in cinema which is much better than "holding"(and less tiresome) your phone near your eyes.
Get a phone stand and put a blanket over your head. Not only do you get a better picture, but you wont be dealing with fogged lenses or lens flare.

(01-30-2018 10:19 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  3D is a gimmick which most people got bored quickly again and for the xx time in history it failed to became a standard, live with it.
3D TVs failed because they suck. That tells us nothing about VR. How are you this dumb?
01-31-2018, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2018 04:55 AM by Asferot.)
Dear Ben.

Do you know what is emulation? What it strives to do?
If you answered with Yes, and you do know, then please ask yourself...
Did PSP have Oculus/Vive/whateverthefuckislatesthipstershit support?
Ill give you a tip. No.

If the games/system does not support 3D or VR out of the box, then to enable them, specially VR, someone would need to remake the PSP games and the emulator. So. If you want it so badly, fork PPSSPP and get coding on those games. We will wait for your results.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
01-31-2018, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2018 11:46 AM by BenMcLean.)
(01-31-2018 04:11 AM)Asferot Wrote:  Dear Ben.

Do you know what is emulation? What it strives to do?

If the games/system does not support 3D or VR out of the box, then to enable them, specially VR, someone would need to remake the PSP games and the emulator. So. If you want it so badly, fork PPSSPP and get coding on those games. We will wait for your results.

Try actually reading the above thread so that you're caught up on what's already been done before commenting.

If nVidia had ever actually put out the auto stereo feature they advertised at one point then nearly every program, including emulators, which uses 3D acceleration for it's geometry could be rendered with stereoscopic 3D without the developers of that program even knowing about the feature. It would be really nice if we could solve this with drivers or as a built-in feature of GPUs but for now, it just takes a little extra math.

Going from monoscopic to stereoscopic 3D is just a matter of doing a little math on the 3D geometry and I might just give that a shot at some point, or make improvements to the PPSSPP-VR fork that already exists. But I suppose next you're going to tell me that the PSP didn't support HD resolutions, so there's no way PPSSPP can display in anything better than 480x272.