Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Renderer change and FPS increase when streaming with OBS
06-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Renderer change and FPS increase when streaming with OBS
Sounds bizarre, at least to me it does but hear me out.
Whenever I hit "start streaming" or "preview stream" in OBS, PPSSPP's renderer changes to D3D10, as shown by rivatuner osd, and the framerate goes up even above 60 fps even though I have the option to limit the framerate to 60 checked and some games have their own locks even lower. It's not just an error in display either, as I can clearly feel the difference and it's much smoother/the input lag is not there anymore. I've played around with a few options but I can't reproduce it unless I use OBS. Can someone explain it to me, and possibly tell me how to make it happen without OBS?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 06:39 PM
RE: Renderer change and FPS increase when streaming with OBS
PPSSPP doesn't have code for Direct3D 10. It's possible that OBS is causing it to render to a temporary surface, and then copying that periodically to a Direct3D 10 surface that it uses... or something.

What video card are you using? Do you have vsync turned off? What FPS do you get without OBS (just 60?) It could be that this disables vsync and that's why it feels smoother.

If you use PPSSPP's show fps feature (which is definitive; that's the FPS PPSSPP is drawing at, no matter what anything else says), does it also go above 60?

-[Unknown]
06-01-2016, 06:58 PM
RE: Renderer change and FPS increase when streaming with OBS
I think I might've been fooled by the placebo effect... The framerate shown by the built in counter is stuck at 30 as it usually is, but for some reason riva tuner showed something different, and because of insufficient testing I just assumed it was smoother than the previous games which might've been the ones that lagged a bit in places, compared to this one which runs at steady 30.
Sorry for wasting your time, false alarm. Also thanks for trying to explain what it might be, first time I've heard of something like that.