Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Texture Replacement
10-30-2016, 02:10 PM
RE: Texture Replacement
(10-28-2016 11:04 AM)Bit Strange Wrote:  I've managed to replace some textures of a game called Platypus, but for some reason some of the bigger replacement textures revert back to the original ones at random times for no apparent reason, sometimes they even flicker between the two textures. Why?
I've messed around with the graphical settings for about an hour, but to little avail.
Most of the textures have the dimensions of 1024x512. That can't be it, can it?
There's one texture that's 1024x512 that doesn't flicker or completely revert TOO often, but then there's another texture of the same dimensions but is far less in size, yet for some reason it very, very, very rarely ever shows up.

Could someone please help me with this issue? I would appreciate it.

Absolutely no new textures dump during these sequences?

I notice this in some games when I mix the upscaled and lower res textures in a scene, because the aspect ratios on the pixel values can be just a hair off. But if you upscale all the textures in a scene, they usually match up perfectly again.

If you're using replaced textures, might be worth disabling texture filtering entirely, as it's meant to upscale original textures, not to upscale and re-dump your replacement textures over and over, you know?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2016, 03:39 AM
(10-30-2016 02:10 PM)skywalker6705 Wrote:  If you're using replaced textures, might be worth disabling texture filtering entirely, as it's meant to upscale original textures, not to upscale and re-dump your replacement textures over and over, you know?

I think you're talking about texture upscaling here, since texture filtering is a different thing altogether. Anyway, AFAIK the modded textures do not get upscaled by the emulator, only the original ones are. At least in my experience anyway.
10-31-2016, 10:48 AM
(10-31-2016 03:39 AM)DinJerr Wrote:  
(10-30-2016 02:10 PM)skywalker6705 Wrote:  If you're using replaced textures, might be worth disabling texture filtering entirely, as it's meant to upscale original textures, not to upscale and re-dump your replacement textures over and over, you know?

I think you're talking about texture upscaling here, since texture filtering is a different thing altogether. Anyway, AFAIK the modded textures do not get upscaled by the emulator, only the original ones are. At least in my experience anyway.

Yea. I meant that if you accidentally leave texture upscaling on, the emulator will dump it's in-engine upscaled textures instead of the originals, and can cause these resolution issues he was describing as well sometimes.
11-19-2016, 04:10 PM
I have the wildcard system working for most of my textures because they're like this

00000000d214794c3d7dfa6a

But I've encountered some duplicate textures which only have the middle 8 letters and numbers the same

0000000075605e9400000000

And this doesn't work.. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks.
11-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Obviously, you can't use the 0s on the hash.
11-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Ok, so do you have a solution?
11-21-2016, 01:32 AM
Yes, after years of witchering and unscribbling eldritch tomes of unlimited wisdom, i believe i have found an experimental solution to your ailments.

Just write more lines replacing the other duplicates.
11-21-2016, 01:43 AM
That's not a good or elegant solution, there's possibly 100s of duplicates for every one of these textures.
11-23-2016, 01:59 AM
Hey, I've got a post I want to make (a partial texture pack release) and the forum won't let me post or even save a draft because it contains links? I only found out by googling the issue and it brought up something where the user says I need at least 10 points. Can you do something about this, please?
11-24-2016, 01:17 AM
I couldn't post mine because of the same issue, but hey, congrats on your 10 points! Big Grin
11-24-2016, 01:29 AM
I thought no one would help and I had nothing to contribute to other topics so that was the only option.. Smile
12-09-2016, 03:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 10:59 PM by DinJerr.)
Something I did for fun this morning:
[Image: FmUICHq.png]

Shockingly, from the D2 sprite dumps, there doesn't seem to exist 8-way directional walk sprites in the HD version, thus during the castle section direct UDLR movements won't have the proper sprites.

Disgaea PC mod as reference.
12-10-2016, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 07:32 AM by chroma.)
Hi

I'm having a problem in WipEout Pulse: with OpenGL, when I get to the track after selecting my ship, the ship's textures go black. Before that, in the ship selection screen, the new textures appear just fine.

With Direct3D9, the new textures are fine in both the ship selection screen as well as at the track.

I'm on W10x64 Pro, using PPSSPPx64 v1.3-191-gaa964ea GFX: AMD 5870HD. Probably not the best OGL support so it may just be a problem on my end.

What would I need to do to get them working on OGL?

Edit:
Was playing around with the settings, and it seems MipMapping is the culprit. Ships too close to the camera would become black.

Second problem though:
There's a crossover point when ships still seem to lose(further)/gain(closer) detail - some of their textures, a shine effect, and the glass around the cockpit - go low res & dark/disappear/go black respectively; and aside from being unpleasant to look at, I think it's causing some negative performance on my system. I can't find the textures to replace them - they all appear to be the same. Shouldn't having MipMapping be disabled prevent distance based texture pop-in anyway?
12-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Random question, regarding textures that come in non-standard sizes and thus have garbage pixels to pad them into standard sizes, would it be possible to force a solid color for that entire extra region so the hash is always the same, like fully transparent black?
12-27-2016, 11:04 AM
Video RE: Texture Replacement
I made a texture remake fron Castlevania