Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Any plan for motion blur?
04-15-2016, 02:22 PM
Any plan for motion blur?
60fps games are pretty smoth but some of 30fps games are very jerky.
I felt Tekken DR is one of those that suffers from the low frame rate. It is so jerk that the entire screen feel like trembling all the time.

I remember one of the gameboy advance emulator do have a motion blur on its own, and thought it was pretty cool. It would be nice to have same thing with ppsspp. Or at least interacing option would be very helpful.

ThanksBig Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-15-2016, 10:03 PM
RE: Any plan for motion blur?
I thought it was called frame blending.

Nervertheless it makes me sick in VBA, but it would be nice to have the option for those that want it.
04-15-2016, 11:21 PM
I think it would be a nice addition for those who want it... but since I don't really care about 60fps and my eyes are more accustomed playing all of these games on the psp itself I guess I juat don't notice or my brain does not seem to care about any jerkyness and things like the linear filter's vertical line artifacting seem far more noticable and jarring to me personally.
04-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Well, technically the PSP has a (by modern standards) very slow LCD display, so you could say that frame blending would simulate that effect Smile But I don't really see much reason why it would be desirable. Real motion blur is created from the motion during the capture of a frame and helps make motion appear smoother, frame blending doesn't produce that type of blur. In my opinion, frame blending just muddles things without adding much of value..
04-17-2016, 01:09 PM
To be fair Henrik, quite a lot of "smoothing" done to emulated games just makes them look more blurry or muddled, but people seem to like them.

In this case if you can slightly more accurately represent the psp (in all it's flaws and glories) appease the constant tinkerers with a new setting to turn on and off and argue about turning on and off to each other, and make the OP and people who like soft blurry images all at the same time...... Seems like there might be some value there.

To be honest and fair though I agree with you, I personally do not see the point in the effect.
04-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Right. Thing is, this doesn't fit our current post processing system as it will need to remember the previous frame. Of course not a huge obstacle as support for that can be added relatively easily, but more code is more bugs..
05-01-2016, 12:45 AM
Hi, I have recently tried pcsx2 and noticed that it has the same trebling problem when the interlacing option off.
But when I turn on the interlacing option(weave tff/bff) on, the trembling are ALL GONE!

Now I think that what matters here is actually the interlacing, not the motion blur.
So what do you think?
05-02-2016, 12:19 PM
The PSP display is not interlaced, so there's nothing to apply.
05-02-2016, 01:28 PM
(05-02-2016 12:19 PM)Henrik Wrote:  The PSP display is not interlaced, so there's nothing to apply.

All right. Don't do it then.Smile