Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
10-28-2014, 01:03 PM
RE: Is it possible to port ps2 emulator to idevices and android????
Yeah heiwasan , 2024!
It'll be awesome if we get a PCSX2 port just as dolphin Big Grin

The Signature!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2014, 05:01 PM
I think a PCSX2 port would be not a good option. The best way is start a emulator from zero, like the "Play!".
The PCSX2 is very complex, even its developers don't understand some codes, and they know that would be needed a hard work to port the emulator, because of this, they don't want to port. 60% of the emulator need to be rewritten. Anyway, if someone want to port the PCSX2, the best way would be port to android x86 first, but I think there's no x86 device powerful enough to run this emulator, I just know the Razr i, don't know if there's a new one. Another problem is that the x86 devices are the minority, so also isn't a good option.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
10-28-2014, 05:23 PM
@GuilhermeGS2 , actually porting PCSX2 is the best option.
Try to understand , its not the emulator that's complex , its the console PS2 itself, PCSX2 has been out for a decade now , it has improved the most! Developers of pcsx2 tried to make the codes more and more simpler in the last 10 years which resulted in the faster speed.
If they develop a new emulator from scratch , they'll have to work again all the way , so porting PCSX2 will be the best! (imo)

The Signature!
10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
OK, but I still think the PCSX2 needs optimizations, it has been optimized these last 10 years, but is not fully optimized. The same on PPSSPP, it had a great improvement between some versions, but need some optimizations as well. One of the problems in PPSSPP is the slow performance on new Snapdragon chipsets, I don't know if it's so bad as before, but I believe is still there.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
10-28-2014, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2014 09:19 PM by fivefeet8.)
(10-28-2014 05:23 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  Try to understand , its not the emulator that's complex , its the console PS2 itself, PCSX2 has been out for a decade now , it has improved the most! Developers of pcsx2 tried to make the codes more and more simpler in the last 10 years which resulted in the faster speed.
If they develop a new emulator from scratch , they'll have to work again all the way , so porting PCSX2 will be the best! (imo)

The PS2 console was complex, but that doesn't mean the emulator can't be as well. The current state of code in PCSX2 is a huge mess right now. Even the Dolphin emulator authors don't want to touch the code, but I do think the current developers of PCSX2 are going in that direction to try and clean the code as much as possible. In it's current state, it's really not a good candidate for porting to Android. There are reasons why there haven't been ports of PCSX2 for many platforms even with 10 years of development time.

Developing a new PS2 emulator is also risky, but you do have the advantage of having PCSX2 code to compare and look at. To see what didn't work in PCSX2 so you can think of other ideas and develop new ways to emulate the PS2. And you can make sure the code is portable to other platforms.

(10-28-2014 08:12 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  One of the problems in PPSSPP is the slow performance on new Snapdragon chipsets, I don't know if it's so bad as before, but I believe is still there.

The problem is not only relegated to PPSSPP though. Snapdragon chipset drivers for their Adreno GPU's are far lacking to put it mildly. The issues they have are mostly related to OpenGles 3.x extensions. Much of it useless because of buggy drivers. Plus the driver overhead on Adreno GPU's are comparatively horrid.
10-28-2014, 09:14 PM
(10-28-2014 08:58 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(10-28-2014 05:23 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  Try to understand , its not the emulator that's complex , its the console PS2 itself, PCSX2 has been out for a decade now , it has improved the most! Developers of pcsx2 tried to make the codes more and more simpler in the last 10 years which resulted in the faster speed.

The PS2 console was complex, but that doesn't mean the emulator can't be as well. The current state of code in PCSX2 is a huge mess right now. Even the Dolphin emulator authors don't want to touch the code, but I do think the current developers of PCSX2 are going in that direction to try and clean the code as much as possible. In it's current state, it's really not a good candidate for porting to Android. There are reasons why there haven't ports of PCSX2 for many platforms even with 10 years of development time.

Developing a new PS2 emulator is also risky, but you do have the advantage of having PCSX2 code to compare and look at. To see what didn't work in PCSX2 so you can think of other ideas and develop new ways to emulate the PS2. And you can make sure the code is portable to other platforms.

(10-28-2014 08:12 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  One of the problems in PPSSPP is the slow performance on new Snapdragon chipsets, I don't know if it's so bad as before, but I believe is still there.

The problem is not only relegated to PPSSPP though. Snapdragon chipset drivers for their Adreno GPU's are far lacking to put it mildly. The issues they have are mostly related to OpenGles 3.x extensions. Much of it useless because of buggy drivers. Plus the driver overhead on Adreno GPU's are comparatively horrid.

Thanks for reply. You wrote exactly what I was thinking in write, but of course you have more knowledge than me, I had no sure about this. And I also didn't know that the problem is with the GPU drivers and not with PPSSPP. Thanks again. Smile

10-29-2014, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 07:44 AM by Haseeb.)
@fivefeet8 , technically "Complex emulator" isn't the case. An emulator is a software , there are common languages such as C# , C++ , Java etc to write them , I'm learning C#.
PCSX2's code is huge mess now for a reason , you won't find as huge codes for a NES or Sega Genesis emulator. Dolphin and PCSX2 emulates a lot more complex console (gamecube,wii and ps2) ,
The logic is , 2=2 4=4 8=8 ... More complex the console , more will be the codes.
An emulator uses the console source CODES to open the complex files and PLUGINS to use and run them.
Definitely PCSX2 is the simplest PS2 emulator right now , that's the real reason its the most stable and used PS2 emulator.
Try to look over the internet , there are a few other attempts to make PS2 emulators , why they aren't successful? Cause' they aren't as efficient as PCSX2 , they aren't as fast. PCSX2 is the simplest PS2 emulator + most developed ps2 emulator yet.
If its still complex then believe me , making an emulator from scratch would just be like to build up a new PCSX2 , so porting is the best option.
PSX2 runs on both x86 and x64 platforms , I don't think android can't handle it.

The Signature!
10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Well... i don’t have a opinion on what’s better because i don’t have any knowledge of programming stuff!

I just think that making a new emulator is great. The problem is that if you don’t have a lot of experienced programmers working together, it would be playable in 10 years or more.

Until there, it’s possible our mobile phones are really, really, really powerful, and then, running PCSX2 won’t be a problem.

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
10-29-2014, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 01:49 PM by fivefeet8.)
(10-29-2014 07:37 AM)Haseeb Wrote:  @fivefeet8 , technically "Complex emulator" isn't the case. An emulator is a software , there are common languages such as C# , C++ , Java etc to write them , I'm learning C#.
PCSX2's code is huge mess now for a reason , you won't find as huge codes for a NES or Sega Genesis emulator. Dolphin and PCSX2 emulates a lot more complex console (gamecube,wii and ps2) ,
Try to look over the internet , there are a few other attempts to make PS2 emulators , why they aren't successful? Cause' they aren't as efficient as PCSX2 , they aren't as fast. PCSX2 is the simplest PS2 emulator + most developed ps2 emulator yet.
If its still complex then believe me , making an emulator from scratch would just be like to build up a new PCSX2 , so porting is the best option.
PSX2 runs on both x86 and x64 platforms , I don't think android can't handle it.

If the codebase for PCSX2 is so simple, why did the Dolphin emulator authors decline to work on it? PCSX2 code is not as simple as you seem to think it is. I've done C/C++ programming and you can do things that make the code hard to port or read even for the simplest programs. I think "complex" is a very imprecise word to use here anyways.

PCSX2 is fast because it has a lot of speed hacks(even per game), especially in the GPU plugins. Efficiency should also account not only for the speed but the state of the codebase as well. And in this regard, it's not quite as "efficient" as you seem to think it is. Not to take anything away from the PCSX2 authors as I think it's amazing what they've been able to do with it, but even they agree the codebase needs a lot of work before it can be ported to anything other than x86/x64.

Here's are a few quotes from the Dolphin emulator authors on the current state of PCSX2 codebase:

crap code. Yeah, i know someone has to fix it, or nothing will change, but well, it's just too much for me. I'm not interested in rewriting half the codebase to clean it up. I wouldn't even mind doing a ton of work on it, but only if others showed interest in helping. If no one else cares about the quality of the code, then why would i do that work?
Devs don't seem to care about accuracy. Game specific hacks are absolutely disgusting to me. I realize that hacks can be valuable early on, just to get things running, and you can take care of them later when you better understand how things work, or when cpus have advanced so performance isn't such a big deal, or after you've taken care of more important things. But that time has past. Pcsx2 now kind of sort of runs most games. The goal now should be to improve accuracy, and remove these hacks, that might have been useful in the past, but now are simply causing problems, and replace them with proper solutions. Games mostly "work" now, so it's time to make them work properly without (major) bugs. -RachelB

Technical problems like your codebase being terrible in many ways (no, I'm not going to install a 32 bit chroot on my system just to be able to run PCSX2) -delroth
10-29-2014, 02:26 PM
@fivefeet8 , how can you say they completely decline to work on it?
Go visit the official dolphin download page , you'll find new versions for x64.
And I already told you that , it hugely depends on console , dolphin and pcsx2 emulates complex consoles , PPSSPP emulator is a great emulator but always remember that PSP is a lot more simple console than PS2 when it comes to coding , coding of an emulator might be complex , but if it can be simpler , then where's the emulator?
I'm not saying its extremely efficient , I'm just trying to say that PCSX2 is the most efficient PS2 emulator yet , if some other one is better , don't forget to inform me please.

The Signature!
10-29-2014, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 02:56 PM by fivefeet8.)
(10-29-2014 02:26 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  @fivefeet8 , how can you say they completely decline to work on it?
And I already told you that , it hugely depends on console , dolphin and pcsx2 emulates complex consoles , PPSSPP emulator is a great emulator but always remember that PSP is a lot more simple console than PS2 when it comes to coding , coding of an emulator might be complex , but if it can be simpler , then where's the emulator?
I'm not saying its extremely efficient , I'm just trying to say that PCSX2 is the most efficient PS2 emulator yet , if some other one is better , don't forget to inform me please.

They provide compiled binaries, but if you check the PCSX2 github, the dolphin emulator authors haven't really done much with the code if any. PCSX2 is efficient if you only want to play games on it. For porting to other platforms, it's arguable at best.

I'm not saying which emulator is better or not. I'm saying that for porting purposes, using PCSX2 as the codebase is not necessarily the best option because of the various issues that's already been brought up. Just because the emulator runs "efficiently" as you say on x86/x64, doesn't make it the most efficient to port. If you can't understand how badly documented hacky code makes the codebase of any software hard to port, then I can't really help you there.
10-30-2014, 07:15 AM
(10-29-2014 02:44 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(10-29-2014 02:26 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  @fivefeet8 , how can you say they completely decline to work on it?

They provide compiled binaries, but if you check the PCSX2 github, the dolphin emulator authors haven't really done much with the code if any. PCSX2 is efficient if you only want to play games on it. For porting to other platforms, it's arguable at best.

I'm not saying which emulator is better or not. I'm saying that for porting purposes, using PCSX2 as the codebase is not necessarily the best option because of the various issues that's already been brought up. Just because the emulator runs "efficiently" as you say on x86/x64, doesn't make it the most efficient to port. If you can't understand how badly documented hacky code makes the codebase of any software hard to port, then I can't really help you there.

Forgive me my lord -_____-

The Signature!
10-30-2014, 10:17 AM
A stupid question:

Imagine in 2020, Android devices are powerful enough to run a Windows 7 emulator, for example! Would it be possible to emulate PCSX2 in a Windows emulator!?

Just wondering…

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

10-30-2014, 11:11 AM
(10-30-2014 10:17 AM)heiwasan Wrote:  A stupid question:

Imagine in 2020, Android devices are powerful enough to run a Windows 7 emulator, for example! Would it be possible to emulate PCSX2 in a Windows emulator!?

Just wondering…

Android devices can now run Windows Xp without any probleme , so i think on 2017 it will be so easy and simple to run w7 on android smartphones , because more poweful smartphones are coming next year like the Galaxy s6 on february Smile

Unfortunatly , its not the same thing with pcsx2 , because i seen videos on youtube from people how run w7 on an old machine like the pentium 3 ... etc , still Pcsx2 need a good recent cpu : i3, i5... to run most "playable" games properly .

i m French sry for my English ^_^

Not everyone is an english native speaker.It's fine.
10-30-2014, 12:34 PM
I didn’t know it can emulate XP!! Do you know if it’s possible to play some non powerful windows games on it??

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM