Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Hows the Vulkan Backend Coming Along?
06-13-2017, 02:50 PM
RE: Hows the Vulkan Backend Coming Along?
Well, I guess if pipeline is straight to hardware and not another abstract layer it helps.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2017, 06:35 PM
Well, I can conclude that Vulkan reduce CPU usage by less than half compared to OpenGL, I can't wait to see Android in action with this, I hope the GPU developers really care about to optimize the drivers for Vulkan, it's the future, will help alot the emulation world, PPSSPP will be possible on low-end devices, GC/Wii will run fine on most mid-end, and soon PS2 too.

Phone: Galaxy J7 J700M @1.7GHz OC

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz/8GB DDR3 1600MHz/NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 192-bit/Windows 10 Pro x64
06-13-2017, 06:39 PM
I would not say that improvement will be massive, because most emulators are CPU bound. But it will squeeze out a few FPS.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
06-13-2017, 07:10 PM
Since the only limitation here is the CPU, a reduction in CPU usage will proportionally increase the FPS, this is just like on normal PC games, the double the FPS, the double the CPU usage. Well, it'll only happes IF the optimization is good enough.

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2GHz/8GB DDR3 1600MHz/NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 192-bit/Windows 10 Pro x64
06-13-2017, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2017 11:23 PM by fivefeet8.)
(06-13-2017 06:39 PM)Asferot Wrote:  I would not say that improvement will be massive, because most emulators are CPU bound. But it will squeeze out a few FPS.

The performance improvement is pretty decent in this game on my Shield TV.

I've also noticed that if I load 4xHD textures, the Vulkan render has far less hitching with the texture loads.
06-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Very cool to see that improvement on Android, it's already expected for a NVIDIA GPU, I wanna see how Adreno, Mali and PowerVR will do, currently the result is not too good, the same or worse than OpenGL:

06-14-2017, 04:00 AM
To be honest android is a hot burning trash pile when it comes to any decent GPU drivers or just power level implementations.
Maybe later versions will be better, but unless it is built heavily with performance in mind, even devices with good hardware are going to choke, because of the crappy android software.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
06-14-2017, 04:16 AM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 04:19 AM by fivefeet8.)
(06-14-2017 04:00 AM)Asferot Wrote:  To be honest android is a hot burning trash pile when it comes to any decent GPU drivers or just power level implementations.
Maybe later versions will be better, but unless it is built heavily with performance in mind, even devices with good hardware are going to choke, because of the crappy android software.

I'd agree with you with Android devices not using an Nvidia Tegra GPU. Nvidia actually provides decent drivers for their mobile devices. My Shield Tablet also see's decent performance improvement with the Vulkan backend.

Qualcomm pretty much dominates the Android market with their Snapdragon/Adreno chipsets. Too bad they don't put the resources into their GPU drivers.
06-14-2017, 12:07 PM
If NVIDIA released a high-end chip for smartphone, I surely would buy. But I heard they are disappointed with Android market, and don't plan to make any new device.

06-17-2017, 07:13 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2017 07:19 AM by fivefeet8.)
Earth Defense Force 2 runs 100% faster with the Vulkan Render path. The game heavily uses draw calls for the ton of creatures that are on screen. This is atypical and probably a best case scenario, but it does show how much it helps to lower the CPU bottlenecks. With the OpenGL path, CPU usage is up a lot.

06-17-2017, 02:18 PM
That's probably a good example, indeed, but be warned: the Vulkan backend still lacks a few features. One of them has a big impact on performance: readback (or "block transfers.")

Many PSP games do something silly, like downloading the rendered screen (before drawing HUDs) to memory, and then never actually using it. Sometimes these games have screenshot features, or use the download to show a blurred background to a menu, etc.

Of course, the same block transfer features are also used for a lot of graphical effects in tons of games.

Anyway, when comparing GLES and Vulkan right now, it may be best to uncheck "simulate block transfer effects", just to be sure.

-[Unknown]
06-17-2017, 04:01 PM
That's cool, Vulkan on PPSSPP is still incomplete but impacts alot in performance, I can't wait to see its actual power.

06-20-2017, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 06:31 AM by fivefeet8.)
(06-17-2017 02:18 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Anyway, when comparing GLES and Vulkan right now, it may be best to uncheck "simulate block transfer effects", just to be sure.

-[Unknown]

That's great to know. I did re-run the test with that option off and on and it made no difference in the comparison for that game.

Here is another comparison. This time with MGS Peace Walker. I also disabled/enabled "simulate block transfer", but it made no difference either. In any case, this is another game where it made a huge difference. This time with the 60 FPS cheat. CPU usage goes down in magnitude in the second scene I test allowing the game to increase performance from 30 FPS to 60 FPS.

06-28-2017, 07:30 PM
If I understood this thread correctly, Vulkan is avaliable on select Android devices. However on my Shield Tablet I can only see OpenGL. Is there a way to force the use of Vulkan? I know it works because I tested it by playing Vainglory Vulkan beta.
07-11-2017, 06:14 AM
The Vulkan render path seems to be making a huge difference on my Snapdragon 820 phone over OpenGL as well. In MGS Peacewalker, the game runs full speed with the 30 FPS cheat, but runs at 16 FPS in OpenGL. All is not great though as the Vulkan path crashes in many games on the same device. Drivers are still a bit lacking on Snapdragon devices.